Anyone knows a USA based companies that does Ceramic Exhaust Coating?

p6x

I was looking at what services the Netherlands based TLM offers, and I found they do Ceramic Exhaust Coating. Anybody knows a US based company offering that same service for motorbikes? those that I found in Houston specializes on cars....

My Le Mans is equipped with a beautifully chromed StayInTune exhaust, but the headers and by-pass look different, unfinished.

Do you think a black coating would improve the look?

Don't get me wrong, I like the way they look now. Kind of showing they have been around. But when I look at the result of the black ceramic coating shown on the TLM page, I think it would match the engine color pretty well;

No?

Guzzi in front of Dime Box General Store

• Like 1

There are various ceramic coating companies in Houston. You could check these companies.

KBS Coatings in Valparaiso Indiana also makes high temp aerosol and spray gun coatings p primer, color and clear top coat.

https://www.kbs-coatings.com/engine-exhaust-paints.html

Or some Rolite and terry cloth and a beverage or three.

• Thanks 1

@po18guy I am going to check them out. But a lot of those seem to specialize on cars more than motorcycles. There should not be any difference right?

However when I tried to get my bar end weight powder coated, I did not find a lot of enthusiasm to help, and the one company that sort of said they could do it, just gave me a super expensive quote for a 1 minute paint job.

I will try again HPC;

2 minutes ago, p6x said:

@po18guy I am going to check them out. But a lot of those seem to specialize on cars more than motorcycles. Their should not be any difference right?

However when I tried to get my bar end weight powder coated, I did not find a lot of enthusiasm to help, and the one company that sort of said they could do it, just gave me a super expensive quote for a 1 minute paint job.

I will try again HPC;

For small stuff, you can buy a Harbor Freight or Eastwood powder coating kit and do it yourself with a toaster oven. As to ceramic coating, M/C pipes are easier, as they are not the tangle of pipes that car headers typically are.

4 hours ago, LowRyter said:

I requested a quotation. That's what they replied:

Quote:

Thank you for contacting Jet-Hot. I need to know a few things before I can get the quote together.  Is your motorcycle header a 2-1, dual with crossover, dual (singles) or something else? Are there any heat shields, clamps or mufflers that you would like to include?

There are several reasons for motorcycles customers to coat their exhaust. It all depends on what you are looking for as to what we will recommend as far as a finish and a color topcoat go.

If you are experiencing heat issues,  we recommend coating your header pipe in our Extreme 1300 Classic Polish (our chrome lookalike) and your heat shields/muffler in a color topcoat.  Most motorcycle exhaust headers are completely covered up by the heat shields so if you are trying to keep your bike blacked out or want to run a color topcoat on your heat shields you can still benefit from our heat reductions by just coating your header in our Classic Polish. This way you are getting the most for your money. You get the heat reductions of 56-65% but also get the esthetics of the color you would like. 

If you are not experiencing any heat issues and would like to just get your exhaust coated for esthetics we have several options available. 

If Nat Asp: We can do our Extreme 1300, there are two finishes and several colors available. Classic Polish (our chrome look-alike) which we spoke about above is our biggest heat reduction coating of 56-65%.  Satin Silver is the other finish that is a little less in heat reduction and is more of a sheen silver finish. 

If you opt for a color topcoat, we have several colors available here for an upcharge: https://www.jet-hot.com/colors

If Turbo/Super Charged we'd recommend our Ultra 2500 coating, this is a thermal sprayed on the outside only.  You would need to pick a color topcoat as it does not come in our Classic Polish "chrome lookalike" or Satin Silver finishes. The Ultra 2500 does have a texture to it that looks like orange peel. I've attached photos for your review.

If you can send us an email with exhaust information we would be glad to get you a quote together. If you have any pictures those always make our job easier. If you can send measurements of any heat shields that you would be interested in sending we will need those too, our team can always make an educated guess based on photos, whatever is easier for you. We look forward to hearing from you.

Keep in mind, all of our coatings come with our Lifetime Warranty. 

Unquote;

• Like 1

4 hours ago, po18guy said:

For small stuff, you can buy a Harbor Freight or Eastwood powder coating kit and do it yourself with a toaster oven. As to ceramic coating, M/C pipes are easier, as they are not the tangle of pipes that car headers typically are.

I would agree with you about the motorcycle pipes being easier to deal with. But I got that impression those guys were not really interested in my business, at least for the end weight.

1 hour ago, p6x said:

I requested a quotation. That's what they replied:

Quote:

Thank you for contacting Jet-Hot. I need to know a few things before I can get the quote together.  Is your motorcycle header a 2-1, dual with crossover, dual (singles) or something else? Are there any heat shields, clamps or mufflers that you would like to include?

There are several reasons for motorcycles customers to coat their exhaust. It all depends on what you are looking for as to what we will recommend as far as a finish and a color topcoat go.

If you are experiencing heat issues,  we recommend coating your header pipe in our Extreme 1300 Classic Polish (our chrome lookalike) and your heat shields/muffler in a color topcoat.  Most motorcycle exhaust headers are completely covered up by the heat shields so if you are trying to keep your bike blacked out or want to run a color topcoat on your heat shields you can still benefit from our heat reductions by just coating your header in our Classic Polish. This way you are getting the most for your money. You get the heat reductions of 56-65% but also get the esthetics of the color you would like. 

If you are not experiencing any heat issues and would like to just get your exhaust coated for esthetics we have several options available. 

If Nat Asp: We can do our Extreme 1300, there are two finishes and several colors available. Classic Polish (our chrome look-alike) which we spoke about above is our biggest heat reduction coating of 56-65%.  Satin Silver is the other finish that is a little less in heat reduction and is more of a sheen silver finish. 

If you opt for a color topcoat, we have several colors available here for an upcharge: https://www.jet-hot.com/colors

If Turbo/Super Charged we'd recommend our Ultra 2500 coating, this is a thermal sprayed on the outside only.  You would need to pick a color topcoat as it does not come in our Classic Polish "chrome lookalike" or Satin Silver finishes. The Ultra 2500 does have a texture to it that looks like orange peel. I've attached photos for your review.

If you can send us an email with exhaust information we would be glad to get you a quote together. If you have any pictures those always make our job easier. If you can send measurements of any heat shields that you would be interested in sending we will need those too, our team can always make an educated guess based on photos, whatever is easier for you. We look forward to hearing from you.

Keep in mind, all of our coatings come with our Lifetime Warranty. 

Unquote;

And?

1 hour ago, p6x said:

I would agree with you about the motorcycle pipes being easier to deal with. But I got that impression those guys were not really interested in my business, at least for the end weight.

Powder coating is a different universe from ceramic coating. There may be a company which does both, but IME they tend to specialize. You could ride to a few D/FW shops and get their estimates. You probably know this, if so kindly disregard. Powder coating is pulverized colored plastic that is electrostatically applied and then melted (baked) in an oven at 400F. It is highly durable, but is not intended for high temperature post-cure use. That's where ceramic coatings come in.

Personally, I think silver gloss ceramic like on that Griso would look fantastic on your bike, which is quite a looker as is.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LowRyter said:

And?

I sent them pictures and they have not answered back. But this is supposed to be Labor day; I don't think they will answer before Tuesday.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, po18guy said:

Powder coating is a different universe from ceramic coating. There may be a company which does both, but IME they tend to specialize. You could ride to a few D/FW shops and get their estimates. You probably know this, if so kindly disregard. Powder coating is pulverized colored plastic that is electrostatically applied and then melted (baked) in an oven at 400F. It is highly durable, but is not intended for high temperature post-cure use. That's where ceramic coatings come in.

Personally, I think silver gloss ceramic like on that Griso would look fantastic on your bike, which is quite a looker as is.  

The shop I contacted locally did powder but also ceramic and some other exotic coatings.

I got that impression (when I showed them the piece to powder coat) the job was too small for them. I don't know. I maybe wrong, but I have dealt with a lot of individuals in all these years, and I could feel I was bothering them more than giving them an opportunity. It's easy to tell.

1 hour ago, p6x said:

The shop I contacted locally did powder but also ceramic and some other exotic coatings.

I got that impression (when I showed them the piece to powder coat) the job was too small for them. I don't know. I maybe wrong, but I have dealt with a lot of individuals in all these years, and I could feel I was bothering them more than giving them an opportunity. It's easy to tell.

Sometimes, if you call, you can find out when they are going to do a run of black powdercoat items. They might let you sneak you bar ends in for a fair deal. I did that once with a Kawasaki stator cover and they did it for $20, tagging it onto a run of black items.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, p6x said:

I sent them pictures and they have not answered back. But this is supposed to be Labor day; I don't think they will answer before Tuesday.

OK

I can say about 20 years ago, at a "bike meetup", I saw a rider on a pretty clapped out late '70's Kaw Z-1000.  The header pipes were jet coated and looked fantastic and little out of place on the old bike.  I chatted with the rider and he told me that he worked at Jet Hot and had the work done there.  That's all my personal knowledge but I was impressed with it.  What I can read is that they're the industry leader.