Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

I thought I'd bring everyone up to date on my latest acquisition and modest project. I bought the Interceptor for one purpose really, a hassle free pillion bike. Cheap and cheerful modest power, just something for the wife and I to do cafe jaunts on and ride to our favourite restaurants for lunch or dinner in the summer. I took one for a test ride and was underwhelmed by the power but quite happy with everything else esp the value. Here they are just under $10,000 ( I think in the states they are around $5500 or so) on the road and comprehensive insurance is cheap as well. 

The things that have been compromised to keep the costs down are things that are easily and cheaply replaceable, so plastic indicators and tail light assy, mirrors, levers etc. I replaced those with aluminium LED units and also did a few zero/low cost workshop stuff to enhance the looks and mitigate the cost cutting. Remember the frame was designed by Harris Performance in England where RE's brand new R&D facility is and their chief tester and developer is Paul Young a very handy ex British Superbike racer so it's got quite good bones. So I removed the std foot lever toe pieces and replaced them with Woodcraft folding units and added lightening slots to the levers. The rear tail light housing and front fork brace was finished in a utilitarian grey paint which was removed back to the alloy and given a satin finish and a coat of clear. The handlebar cross brace which serves zero purpose was ditched and the mufflers replaced which saved around 20lbs and made the 270 deg engine sound like a Ducati. The rear plastic guard extension was shortened as well and a 16 tooth countershaft sprocket to gear it up a bit.

It's a nice thing to ride and re acquaints you with how much power you really need or in fact don't need in the real world. The engine is silky smooth with it's 270 deg crank and balance shaft. Valve adjustment is screw and locknut. The efi system is faultless in operation and it even uses the exact same mini relays a V11 does. The brakes are surprisingly adequate and ABS assisted and replacement parts are laughably cheap. I replaced the std seat with a RE accessory unit which is a little taller to give my wife less knee bend. Total cost shipped to my door, around $150usd and 7 days from India! It's quite amusing though in that I'm used to riding bikes that require concentration on the speedo on the road and you often find yourself thinking "That's a bit over where I want to be". Not the RE, it's the opposite. A glance at the speedo is mostly rewarded with a "Oh I can open the taps a little here, lol" It's relaxing and just what I need for a pillion bike. I dont want to be reining in a bike with the wife on the pillion seat. It will perform ok and give adequate overtaking performance but it needs to be ridden harder than you're used to after riding much more powerful machines. Reminds you a lot about how much power you actually use 98% of the time. If you want more, S&S make a drop in 850 kit for them. 

The forks could use some enhancement but the rear shocks are adequate. The only future mods may be a set of Stainless Steel brushed finish big bore header pipes and forks internals.

So with parts for the V11 getting harder to source and for those wanting to keep the Guzzi mileage down and ride an economical to own, cheap to buy twin that's relaxing to ride , I rate the Interceptor. 

Stock

DSC01328.JPG

Now

DSC01444.JPG

Details. Aftermarket mirrors, levers, Yamaha R1 quick action throttle and grips, reworked brake and shift levers, SS reverse cone mufflers, seat, new aluminium indicators and tail light and housing re work.

DSC01445.JPG   

DSC01419.JPG

DSC01412.JPG  

Ciao

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

While I won't be buying one there is a lot to like about the new RE range. I'm a big fan of SOHC motors, especially for road bikes, and I keep hearing good things about the twins although I haven't ridden one. If they put that delightfully simple engine in a more modern chassis I'd really be sitting up and taking notice.

As it is, despite my lack of desire to purchase another motorbike I'm severely tempted to purchase a Himalayan to do a lap of Australia on. I'm hearing nothing but good about them from people who don't want to go fast and if I'm doing a lap or figure of 8 around Oz it won't be fast. The price is very hard to go past, they appear reliable, parts are cheap. What's not to like.

Like Phil I have much faster and more capable bikes for eating miles or acting the goat on. Something that will plod along at the legal limit and won't have a cow if pointed at some dirt highway while being able to carry one fat bloke and the stuff he needs sounds just about ideal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I love these Interceptor Twins. I've been considering a "Mr Clean" chrome tank version. 

Decently built, parts are cheap. Reminded me of a 2000s Bonneville but more compact. Which was good. Very good. 

I'll tell ya though.. That orange is pretty sexy. 

5 hours ago, Rox Lemans said:

I love these Interceptor Twins. I've been considering a "Mr Clean" chrome tank version. 

Decently built, parts are cheap. Reminded me of a 2000s Bonneville but more compact. Which was good. Very good. 

I'll tell ya though.. That orange is pretty sexy. 

Well it was between that and the grey silver one which also looks nice. I don't really want black wheel rims. But you know if you change your mind on the colour a brand new painted tank from one of the Indian suppliers that have the best service I've encountered in 18 years on ebay is like 380USD delivered to your door.

Yes if you've ever had a hankering to own an old Triumph Bonneville than this bike fits the bill, except smoother, oil tight, reliable and better handling.

Ciao 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2021 at 6:03 PM, Lucky Phil said:

Well it was between that and the grey silver one which also looks nice. I don't really want black wheel rims. But you know if you change your mind on the colour a brand new painted tank from one of the Indian suppliers that have the best service I've encountered in 18 years on ebay is like 380USD delivered to your door.

Yes if you've ever had a hankering to own an old Triumph Bonneville than this bike fits the bill, except smoother, oil tight, reliable and better handling.

Ciao 

You would never have wanted your Bonneville or Commando "oil tight"! it was part of the brand' signature; since you like authenticity.