"Ask the man who (rides) one..."

VtwinStorm

So, to mirror the old ad slogan for Packard Motor Cars. "Ask the man (or lady?) who rides a V11 Sport/LeMans."

I'm waiting impatiently for my '01 V11 Sport to get shipped to me from 1900 miles away.

I'm confident that our forum is for fans of this fine motorcycle, not Debbie Downers.

That said, what is your honest assessment of the V11? What does the gearbox act like? The engine? The delivery of power? The braking, suspension? Any quirky/eccentric qualities of the machine?

I want the good and the bad. Also, what compares to a V11, so I have a baseline?

I'd like as much feedback as possible to tide me over as I expectantly await the arrival of my new to me baby.

Thank you all! I love this forum.

-VTS

After a few miles and more than a couple challenges from mySport, I oft return to a quote from one the journalists when the V11 was introduced. If necessary, I can locate the reference material. Otherwise, I paraphrase (or, rather embellish)  . . .

"It is a bike that will benefit from a dedicated level of owner involvement."

• Haha 2

" What does the gearbox act like? The engine? The delivery of power? The braking, suspension? Any quirky/eccentric qualities of the machine? "

> Yes. All of the above. <

" Also, what compares to a V11, so I have a baseline? "

One can only compare to his own baseline. Long ago, I learned to ask riders, "What was your last bike?"  That will be your baseline.

If you are lucky, and have really found what you are looking for in a motorcycle, the V11 SpineFrame is incomparable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, docc said:

" What does the gearbox act like? The engine? The delivery of power? The braking, suspension? Any quirky/eccentric qualities of the machine? "

> Yes. All of the above. <

" Also, what compares to a V11, so I have a baseline? "

One can only compare to his own baseline. Long ago, I learned to ask riders, "What was your last bike?"  That will be your baseline.

If you are lucky, and have really found what you are looking for in a motorcycle, the V11 SpineFrame is incomparable.

Last bike was a Daytona 1200.

Just now, andy york said:

You could have done a lot worse....said the man who has ridden one just a little.

But then I'm a touchy feely kinda guy :grin:

I really enjoy the "freight train" feel of the big yellow pig. She's heavier than I'd prefer, but she's a great bike.

"You haven't driven a motorcar until you have driven a Rolls-Royce."

Yes. But how? What is the experience like? 😆

That's what I'm interested in knowing because I'm the kind of joker who bought one without even a test ride...so everything will be a surprise for me when it arrives. 

Between the Triumph and your Ducatis, it will be very interesting to hear your impressions of the V11.

Expect a period of "courting." Then the marriage. Then that part that comes later . . . you know, "the long haul" . . . :mg:

Like Andy York's 125,000 miles - that don't come easy if you're expecting someone else to keep your V11 roadworthy.

" . . . touchy feely . . . " = "polished wrenches for polished things." :luigi:

• Haha 1

The only thing I can compare it to in my personal history is a 2000 BMW R1100s. The Beemer was technically a better bike. It was faster, but It did not handle as well, it did not look nearly as good, and I could never bond with it.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, docc said:

Between the Triumph and your Ducatis, it will be very interesting to hear your impressions of the V11.

Expect a period of "courting." Then the marriage. Then that part that comes later . . . you know, "the long haul" . . . :mg:

Like Andy York's 125,000 miles - that don't come easy if you're expecting someone else to keep your V11 roadworthy.

" . . . touchy feely . . . " = "polished wrenches for polished things." :luigi:

I know the u-joint likes to go south often... and the clutch slave cylinder is inside the transmission... already knew that. Replacement will be an adventure when it starts leaking. I also understand that the electrics are um... interesting.

But what is the ride like?

Just now, footgoose said:

The only thing I can compare it to in my personal history is a 2000 BMW R1100s. The Beemer was technically a better bike. It was faster, but It did not handle as well, it did not look nearly as good, and I could never bond with it.

Winner winner, chicken (goose?) dinner! I've also heard that BMWs come off a bit... Clinical.

1 minute ago, VtwinStorm said:

BMWs come off a bit... Clinical.

good description. And the only reason I have to compare them is they are both old world twins in a new(er) world sport tourer. To me the V11 is a good old reliable design motor, with 'some' up to date (for then) componentry, connected by questionable electronics, in a race bred frame. What's not to like?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, footgoose said:

good description. And the only reason I have to compare them is they are both old world twins in a new(er) world sport tourer. To me the V11 is a good old reliable design motor, with 'some' up to date (for then) componentry, connected by questionable electronics, in a race bred frame. What's not to like?

I don't like the fact I don't have one in the fetching champagne color in my garage. 😂

ok I have some more.... It's a fair reach across the tank. I'm 6'0" and it's perfect for me but noticeably further than bikes of my experience. I like the feeling of laying into it somewhat. The look over the bars has no match. No crotch rocket bend in my back. Stretched out with superbly positioned foot rests and easily adjusted controls. Some don't like it but I'm still pretty limber and am quite comfortable. Trans shifting is smooth once broken in (the bike AND you). From starting out, neutral to first may take a double clutch. 1st to 2nd is the least friendly. Keep the revs up and the toe off the peg prior to a positive shift. There are shifting 'upgrades' available to perform once you get to that point.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, footgoose said:

ok I have some more.... It's a fair reach across the tank. I'm 6'0" and it's perfect for me but noticeably further than bikes of my experience. I like the feeling of laying into it somewhat. The look over the bars has no match. No crotch rocket bend in my back. Stretched out with superbly positioned foot rests and easily adjusted controls. Some don't like it but I'm still pretty limber and am quite comfortable. Trans shifting is smooth once broken in (the bike AND you). From starting out, neutral to first may take a double clutch. 1st to 2nd is the least friendly. Keep the revs up and the toe off the peg prior to a positive shift. There are shifting 'upgrades' available to perform once you get to that point.

I'm 6', so this is encouraging.