Start issue creeping in

Gmc28

I woud check the + suply from under the fuse box, fuse 1 and 2. Feeds relay 5.  D IPA time :rasta:

Cheers Tom.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tomchri said:

I woud check the + suply from under the fuse box, fuse 1 and 2. Feeds relay 5.  D IPA time :rasta:

Cheers Tom.

+1 [As well as Relay#5 that @footgoose noted. That position totally requires a true High Current relay (OMRON G8HE).]

Remember, the fuse block can be pried up out of its isolation blocks withut fussing with the impossible fasteners:

gallery_328_223_160743.jpeg

swapped relays, checked fuse block 2, then went back and checked block 1 on your advice.  All clean, solid, and no change.  All along I can hear the relays clicking, so with that plus doing the relay swap making no change, more likely the pump itself?

• Like 1

On 9/6/2021 at 11:50 AM, paulnaz said:

Me thinks you may have the beginnings of a dead spot or corrosion in your TPS. 

This seems a plausible scenario, worth testing.

I don't recall the details, but I think you can measure changes in resistance as you move the TPS. The readings should progress smoothly as you turn the TPS. If they spike or drop suddenly, you have found the problem.

• Like 1

Scud - agreed.  Never have had to do it, but I’ve seen the procedure.  I may mess with that this winter when she’s in my shop.

(the fuel pump issue on Goldie is still annoying me, and now has more of my idle attention… I’ll get back out there if i can and try a couple more things.  )

Sounds like the ECU relay is not getting a signal to turn On

1999_V11_sport.gif

See how Fuse 8 has 12Volts on it when the key is turned On

If your bike is a later one without an electric petcock you can measure the Voltage at the ECU relay base and chassis

Possibly the side stand relay.

Check you have the right polarity on the battery, if that's wrong the ECU relay won't pull in but the starter will still crank.

Thanks Roy - hopefully soon I’ll get some time to just pull the tank and do the easy stuff, like check voltage at the pump, see if it will run with a straight hot line, etc.