V11 Breather tubes

Jimmyegypt

On 9/7/2021 at 6:25 AM, docc said:

Here I thought this was only found on the US V11 . . .

That bracket holds the ends of the two 1/2 lines from the fuel tank vapor recovery/ charcoal canister system.  On the early RedFrame Sport (like your silver V11, pictured), there were two charcoal canisters in the tool tray under the seat with twenty feet (yes, 20!) of various hoses in duplicate, most of it 1/2" double-walled fuel line, that terminated at the bracket shown.  The entire mess weighs five pounds.

Upon removing the fastener holding that bracket, I recall an exuberant stream of motor oil streaking out . . . :o

i'll keep poking around the forum, but anyone know if there's more info on the charcoal system removal? Actually, first question is whether its really needed... i've done it to  the 2 other V11's but they are '02's with less tubing , and a number of other bikes, but your mention of 20' and 5lbs of equipment makes me wonder if there's more to this system thats worth knowing?  usually self evident if one just traces the lines to see what's-what, but maybe there's some "worth knowing" pointers on a system with that much hose.  Looks like this greenie already has some partial attempts at removing some of the overflow and breather tubing...

finally pulled the tank off greenie today to get it ready to prep, Caslon coat, match paint best i can, and get it to the local painter.  noticed some different things "under the hood" on this one.  One, i noticed that someone had installed a union downstream of the right side (larger) tank vent tube, allowing it to be disconnected easily without having to reach up under the tank.  Why didn't i think of that before, for the other bikes..... embarrassing, such an easy solution.  But i'll make that easy change to red as well when i get a chance.

then, next to the yellow (inner) plug for the fuel level indication (the one removed when removing the tank) is another plug of the same type but red inside, which looks like it would connect to the matching red-inside plug on the right side, now attached to that little water bottle set up (see picture).  Know what that's all about? (hopefully its visible on the picture... the small thumbnail pic may not show it)

IMG_0645.jpg

If the airbox had been removed (at some point), I would venture the Sensor-in-the-Bottle is the air temperature sensor that normally resides on the airbox.

2 hours ago, docc said:

If the airbox had been removed (at some point), I would venture the Sensor-in-the-Bottle is the air temperature sensor that normally resides on the airbox.

ok. at some point soon i'll have Red on the rack for some basic winter mx, and can compare to see about that sensor.  If it is the air temp sensor, any reason to keep that goofy looking mod, or should a guy re-connect it to the airbox?

But note the two loose/disconncected connectors over the left head (see pic), one of which is yellow (yellow inside, under the black outer cover), and the other is red inside.  The red plug i found laying there, not plugged into anything, and i happened to notice that connector in the bottle is also red, so wondered if those two connect. may become obvious when i get back out there and pull that plug out of the bottle, but regardless i'm wondering what the loose plug over the left head is for.

IMG_0644.jpg

1 hour ago, Gmc28 said:

ok. at some point soon i'll have Red on the rack for some basic winter mx, and can compare to see about that sensor.  If it is the air temp sensor, any reason to keep that goofy looking mod, or should a guy re-connect it to the airbox?

But note the two loose/disconncected connectors over the left head (see pic), one of which is yellow (yellow inside, under the black outer cover), and the other is red inside.  The red plug i found laying there, not plugged into anything, and i happened to notice that connector in the bottle is also red, so wondered if those two connect. may become obvious when i get back out there and pull that plug out of the bottle, but regardless i'm wondering what the loose plug over the left head is for.

IMG_0644.jpg

Electric fuel tap probably.

Ciao

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

any takers on the question about what a guy should do with that air temp sensor-in-the-bottle?  re-attaching it to the box, or is there a good reason to leave it with the goofy water bottle setup, or somehow "upgrade" that?

The air intake temp sensor should be in a position to measure the air going into the air filter.

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?/topic/19764-hey-you-guys-with-air-pods-and-ecus/#elControls_216472_menu

DD mounted a sensor I made for him above the rear shock. Pictures and ride report here:

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?/topic/19831-air-temp-mod-for-no-air-box/

The extended sensor is just the equivalent thermistor wired to an extended loom, with the last 100mm or so stiffened with a 3mm steel welding rod, covered with heat shrink.

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20032-pods-what-size/&do=findComment&comment=222872

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gmc28 said:

any takers on the question about what a guy should do with that air temp sensor-in-the-bottle?  re-attaching it to the box, or is there a good reason to leave it with the goofy water bottle setup, or somehow "upgrade" that?

You should put the sensor back on the airbox where it was designed to be.

• Like 2