V11 Cafe Sport heavy clutch pull

Jazzamoto

I've always felt that the clutch pull on my Cafe Sport is kind of heavy and as I've advanced in years it's becoming more of a problem (spoiled by my Multistrada I guess). I've done a lot of online searching and haven't found anything applicable. Does anyone have any thoughts on reducing the clutch pull?

Thanks!

John

Several things to address, John! Probably can make the pull better . . .

First, bleed the fluid. Also, clean and lubricate the lever pivots. Watch out for the tiny activator ball for the micro-switch when you dis-assemble that mechanism.

I have also found the lever adjustment can be adapted to our finger reach. The "friction zone" is actually pretty narrow and the "pull" might be improved bringing the lever closer in.

From easy... Flush the clutch fluid and adjust the lever out to give you a bit more leverage.

to spendy... Put in a Ram single plate clutch and lightweight flywheel. The lever effort is way easier than the dual plate.

Then there's the old hand exercise regimen with a squeeze ball or spring thing.

If the bike is one owner, then something is amiss, clutch-wise. If the bleeding and cleaning/lubing of the lever and pivot do not help, I cannot imagine what the issue is. I swapped out the OEM levers for shorty CNC units, adjusted the lever plunger screw and lever for reach, and no problems. No arthritis, but I do have neuropathy in both hands. A different diameter master cylinder might help and is not all that costly - cost being very relative here.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, po18guy said:

I swapped out the OEM levers for shorty CNC units, adjusted the lever plunger screw and lever for reach, and no problems.

I've done the same with short levers by Pazzo (not cheap knock-offs). No idea why, but it did seem to make everything feel and work better. They are a lovely bit of kit and come in lots of colors, so you get a little eye-candy... yum. I put matte black on my Scura (obviously) :ph34r: and used the glossy titanium colored levers on a greenie.

I don't know about the LeMans 1, but my 89 LeMans 1000 has a cable and takes a strong hand.

A new master cylinder sounds less expensive than a new clutch - but I have no idea how to decide which new master to install, or if it could overpower the slave cylinder. If somebody finds a good solution, it would be worth documenting in our encyclopedia of compatible parts thread.

19 hours ago, docc said:

Several things to address, John! Probably can make the pull better . . .

First, bleed the fluid. Also, clean and lubricate the lever pivots. Watch out for the tiny activator ball for the micro-switch when you dis-assemble that mechanism.

I have also found the lever adjustment can be adapted to our finger reach. The "friction zone" is actually pretty narrow and the "pull" might be improved bringing the lever closer in.

Yeah, good idea. Long overdue on bleeding. I got the lever on the 4 setting which the closest in.

Thanks DOCC!

19 hours ago, Scud said:

From easy... Flush the clutch fluid and adjust the lever out to give you a bit more leverage.

to spendy... Put in a Ram single plate clutch and lightweight flywheel. The lever effort is way easier than the dual plate.

Then there's the old hand exercise regimen with a squeeze ball or spring thing.

I'll have to pass on the "Spendy" part

• Like 1

Just now, Jazzamoto said:

Yeah, good idea. Long overdue on bleeding. I got the lever on the 4 setting which the closest in.

Thanks DOCC!

I'll have to pass on the "Spendy" part. Forgot to mention that I've got Dupuytrens in both hands. I'll look in to hand exercises for sure.

19 hours ago, footgoose said:

What Scud says. I also have the RAM single, it's an easy 2 finger pull. And I have arthritis in that hand.  How does the Cafe feel compared to the 78? Isn't that one a cable?

Yes the '78 Le Mans is cable and feels much lighter than the V11.

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, Scud said:

A new master cylinder sounds less expensive than a new clutch - but I have no idea how to decide which new master to install, or if it could overpower the slave cylinder. If somebody finds a good solution, it would be worth documenting in our encyclopedia of compatible parts thread.

That's what I've been trying to find without any success. The stock Brembo Master is 12 mm. There's a company Midwest Mountain Engineering that builds a replacement Brembo master cylinder for KTM's and other enduro bikes which reduces clutch pull 50% But I sent them a pic of my bike and they said their unit wouldn't work. Also I've searched parts catalogs for slave cylinders on other models (Brevas, Griso, etc.) and they all appear to be the same unit.

Dupuytren's is a bitch. I know a couple people who are dealing with that.

If flushing the fluid and adjusting the lever don't do the trick, consider replacing the hydraulic line. Sometimes a little flap can come loose inside and restrict the flow of fluid.

• Like 2

Just in the interest of comparing, I went and pulled all three Moto Guzzi clutches. 

Easiest - Scura's (hydraulic with single plate clutch)

Middle effort - LeMans 1000 (cable)

Most effort - Stelvio (hydraulic)

The difference in effort between the Scura and Stelvio is significant.

From memory, I would say the twin plate clutch effort was closer to the Stelvio, but sadly, I don't have a twin-plate V11 in the stable. I would say, if your V11 is a bit harder to pull than the cable on an older LeMans, that might be a "feature" rather than a problem.

2 hours ago, Scud said:

Dupuytren's is a bitch. I know a couple people who are dealing with that.

If flushing the fluid and adjusting the lever don't do the trick, consider replacing the hydraulic line. Sometimes a little flap can come loose inside and restrict the flow of fluid.

You can add me to the list. My r/h little finger is "U" shaped from the first joint and makes wiping down surfaces, putting on a glove and holding a handlebar a chore. The straightening operation 7 years ago lasted about 4 years. I'm even considering amputation above the first joint. 

Ciao

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2