Was a factory center stand ever offered for the V11 Sport?

VtwinStorm

I once mentioned to a friend how sketchy the tubular spindle is to support the front, especially with the forks removed. Clever fellow found every way imaginable to support the front. While sending me a gloved message . . .

IMG_518901.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

My V11 Sport came with an uninstalled center stand. I'm wondering if folks think its worth installing given some have said its a bit poorly engineered. Or if there are install instructions somewhere. No youtube videos on this yet!

unnamed.jpeg

• Like 1

I just read through the thread and the linked thread... it doesn't get good reviews. I can't recall ever wishing my bike had one tho they can be handy if not too obtrusive.

Welcome to the forum, ...cute dog

• Like 1

I have owned a few bikes with center stands. The Lario has one as we speak. Most of the time I never really had much use for it. If I need the rear tire off the ground the bike is usually in my garage, and then I can just use a rear stand.

• Like 1

I have one fitted to my RM. Got out of the USA a few years ago. It is differcult to use. I've put my back out several times trying to heave bike onto stand. They is no way to rock the bike on to the stand. The idea of using a 6 x 2 gets around that. Also they only fit 2000 & 2001 bikes. Its been a few years since I fitted mine but what I can remember is you need to remove the mufflers then you mount stand to the side plates. The outer ends of the red part of the stand fit to the outside of the plates.

• Like 2

On 4/8/2022 at 2:32 AM, docc said:

I once mentioned to a friend how sketchy the tubular spindle is to support the front, especially with the forks removed. Clever fellow found every way imaginable to support the front. While sending me a gloved message . . .

IMG_518901.jpg

No hammer on this picture?

3 hours ago, cash1000 said:

I have one fitted to my RM. Got out of the USA a few years ago. It is differcult to use. I've put my back out several times trying to heave bike onto stand. They is no way to rock the bike on to the stand. The idea of using a 6 x 2 gets around that. Also they only fit 2000 & 2001 bikes. Its been a few years since I fitted mine but what I can remember is you need to remove the mufflers then you mount stand to the side plates. The outer ends of the red part of the stand fit to the outside of the plates.

Sounds like the Teo Lamers stand. Not badly made, but somewhat poorly designed. The stand's legs are too short and the pivot point is too low such that the stand is probably 30º from vertical when you must lever it up over center. Seeing the space beneath the rear tire once the stand was deployed, I too came to the conclusion that placing a board (6X2/2X6) behind the rear tire then rolling the bike onto the board allowed the stand to touch earth much closer to vertical. At that point, balancing it all is a bit delicate, but rocking it onto the stand is then much easier.

The fix would be to make the legs about 2" longer and raise the pivot point an equal amount.    

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Thank you for all of the replies. I'm not looking for a service stand, but a standard center-stand. I may end up making the rear rack as I want a small backrest for the wife when riding two-up. But the center stand is a bit more than I'd like to fabricate. I guess I'll keep my eyes open. I travel to the Adriatic area nearly every year so maybe something will be discovered in my travels.

• Like 1