Injector cleaning

Lucky Phil

A little gizmo arrived today as part of my long and somewhat meandering process to build an injector cleaning rig. It was like $22US on ebay delivered and allows you to operated the injectors on various pulse settings while you run some cleaning fluid through them. So cheap to buy it wasn't worth messing around making up something less capable myself. The next mission is to organise a small pressurised container of about a quart of fuel/cleaning solution mix. The side flow injectors shown are a bit of a PITA to clean because you need them fitted to a throttle body to feed the cleaning solution into them. I have an old single Ducati T/B I can use for that. The top flow injectors on the V11 are far easier. Just connect a hose from the pressurised source to the injector top and have the other connector blanked off and stick the injector in a container and away you go. I'll update as I go along.

Ciao

DSC01454.JPG  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

A little gizmo arrived today as part of my long and somewhat meandering process to build an injector cleaning rig. It was like $22US on ebay delivered and allows you to operated the injectors on various pulse settings while you run some cleaning fluid through them. So cheap to buy it wasn't worth messing around making up something less capable myself. The next mission is to organise a small pressurised container of about a quart of fuel/cleaning solution mix. The side flow injectors shown are a bit of a PITA to clean because you need them fitted to a throttle body to feed the cleaning solution into them. I have an old single Ducati T/B I can use for that. The top flow injectors on the V11 are far easier. Just connect a hose from the pressurised source to the injector top and have the other connector blanked off and stick the injector in a container and away you go. I'll update as I go along.

Ciao

DSC01454.JPG  

What about changing the O-rings ? Since the V's are air cooled, the heat flux can be a bit much for soft bits. Is there a part number for them??

J

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SFTripod said:

What about changing the O-rings ? Since the V's are air cooled, the heat flux can be a bit much for soft bits. Is there a part number for them??

J

That is an insightful consideration, J!

The parts catalog only lists  the "Injector Kit Complete" GU01530504, and the entire throttle body (x2) assembly complete with injectors (x2), mounting rail,  with TPS: GU01112500

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SFTripod said:

J

In all honesty the orings never seem to leak. You need to go to an injector cleaning and overhaul place to source them without resorting to measuring and trial fitting etc. When I had my Daytona side flows professionally done I asked them to replace the orings which they said they did. There're not listed in the parts book separately.

Ciao   

On the injectors used on V11's and CARC bikes the o-rings are a standard Bosch injector seal. I just buy them from my local *Better* auto parts joint in Canberra. Just take the injector in and brandish it at the parts interpreter. If they gurn vacantly at you and ask "What's it out of!" Try to resist the temptation to bury your index finger down to the third knuckle in their eye socket, thank them, leave, and go and find a real parts shop where they pay decent enough wages that the staff don't spend half of them on clearasil and wet-wipes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, pete roper said:

On the injectors used on V11's and CARC bikes the o-rings are a standard Bosch injector seal. I just buy them from my local *Better* auto parts joint in Canberra. Just take the injector in and brandish it at the parts interpreter. If they gurn vacantly at you and ask "What's it out of!" Try to resist the temptation to bury your index finger down to the third knuckle in their eye socket, thank them, leave, and go and find a real parts shop where they pay decent enough wages that the staff don't spend half of them on clearasil and wet-wipes.

I can't even remember the last time I went to an auto parts shop and had someone across the counter that knew anything technical Pete.

Ciao

I recently had a good auto parts store experience. I needed a serpentine belt that was a little longer than the one I had (new power steering pump had a larger pulley on it that the old one). The parts guy did ask what it was off of, but once I said that no longer matters, I just need one the next size up, he went in back and came forth with one a little larger. And it worked.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

I can't even remember the last time I went to an auto parts shop and had someone across the counter that knew anything technical Pete.

Ciao

What's the running joke?....While buying an air freshener hanger for your auto's mirror, counter person asks, "Make & model ??"....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, docc said:

That is an insightful consideration, J!

The parts catalog only lists  the "Injector Kit Complete" GU01530504, and the entire throttle body (x2) assembly complete with injectors (x2), mounting rail,  with TPS: GU01112500

Thank you....we've resorted to using Triumph's F/I O-rings on our Ducati's w/injector issues. Even come in two sizes....will have to check for fit.

• Like 2

It looks like a handy gadget. I see that an injector cleaning kit is available to buy from China, but it appears that yours has better electrical control.

A crude one I made for Scud is show here:

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?/topic/18805-brand-new-scura/&do=findComment&comment=215317

The Chinese kit has adapters for different injectors using spray can cleaners.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1005001855410559.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail&spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.48013c00GOr8LK&mp=1

I don't know if it allows back flushing, which I think is important.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MartyNZ said:

It looks like a handy gadget. I see that an injector cleaning kit is available to buy from China, but it appears that yours has better electrical control.

A crude one I made for Scud is show here:

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?/topic/18805-brand-new-scura/&do=findComment&comment=215317

The Chinese kit has adapters for different injectors using spray can cleaners.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1005001855410559.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail&spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.48013c00GOr8LK&mp=1

I don't know if it allows back flushing, which I think is important.

Top flow injectors are pretty easy as your links show but are no good for side flow injectors which the high cam and a few Ducatis use. 

The disadvantage with back flushing only is you cant check the spray pattern which is important but maybe it cleans the internal filter better.

Ciao

10 hours ago, pete roper said:

I guess I'm luckier than you.....:grin:

I think there's a few advantages like this to living outside large cities Pete. Our local tip is closed so I rang a local tree lopper the other day for a quote to stop out the front of my place AT HIS CONVENIENCE to chip and take away 2 box trailer loads of tree pruning's, 15min work max, stuff at the top of the drive, no walking, easiest job you'll ever get. Sure $250 to you mate! So you charge $1000/hour for throwing branches into a chipper and then sell the wood chips for good money? That's Neurosurgeon hourly rates. Thanks but no thanks. Big City commerce.

Ciao