I have heard it explained many times that Guzzi V Twins are somewhat inspired by automotive practice...

VtwinStorm

Longitudinal engine (N-S) orientation in the chassis.

Separate gearbox, no sharing fluid with the engine.

Driveshaft, like most cars.

Also with a rear differential, like a car.

Can anyone else point out other engineering that is more automotive than motorcycle on a Guzzi V Twin?

These bikes really are interesting.

1 minute ago, pete roper said:

Better.:bbblll::grin:

Also known as a final drive.

I'm learning Guzzis... I'm more experienced with air-cooled Ducatis.

Still learning...

Single cam in the V, with push rods to the valves is more common on cars than motorcycles.

But really I would not call any of this "automotive engineering". Old school engineering perhaps. Once upon a time many motorcycles used similar engineering.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's been discussed many times in the past, so I'm surprised no one has mentioned it here.

The guzzi engine is basically the last 2 cylinders of the old Chevy 350 V8, ie. 90 degrees, low compression, 2 small valves, pushrods, rocker arms, going back to a dry clutch, tranny and drive shaft.

fwiw 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, I think there is a better case that the old BMW flying brick engines were car technology stuffed in a motorcycle. Except they made the flywheel and clutch spin opposite of the engine, which is pretty cool. That made it motorcycle only.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 80CX100 said:

It's been discussed many times in the past, so I'm surprised no one has mentioned it here.

The guzzi engine is basically the last 2 cylinders of the old Chevy 350 V8, ie. 90 degrees, low compression, 2 small valves, pushrods, rocker arms, going back to a dry clutch, tranny and drive shaft.

fwiw 

But, it's got a HEMI!!!

Guzzi v. Chrysler 426.

V11:426.png

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, 80CX100 said:

fwiw 

That's a stretch. A 350 Chev is water cooled, bathtub or wedge shaped combustion chamber, paired valves with inlet between the V and exhaust the other side so transverse cross flow. Ones all aluminium and ones Iron/iron or Iron/aluminium. I guess they're both 90deg 4 stroke piston engines:)

Ciao  

• Like 1

So, even with as many commonalities we can name between the Moto Guzzi "Big Block" and the beloved American V8, the Guzzi motor is a thing of its own, purposefully designed, and elegantly executed.

CErEnxLUsAA8tcJ.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

" . . . with the presence of a Norman horse . . . "

• Like 2