I have heard it explained many times that Guzzi V Twins are somewhat inspired by automotive practice...

VtwinStorm

2 minutes ago, p6x said:

I was going to post the exact same thing.

I got that story from an Italian enthusiast while working for Agip in Nigeria. He told me the V twin Guzzi was inspired by aircraft engines. I wish I had asked him how he knew that.

That would be so awesome, if true.

The only radial engine tie I see as a non-mechanical engineer is the cylinders are in line with the chassis, and out in the airstream.

Would add some more significance to the golden eagle mascot, aside from the obvious nod to proto-Italian/Roman glory.

3 minutes ago, p6x said:

I was going to post the exact same thing.

I got that story from an Italian enthusiast while working for Agip in Nigeria. He told me the V twin Guzzi was inspired by aircraft engines. I wish I had asked him how he knew that.

The first time I saw the valve train of a Guzzi, I thought.. "Aircraft engine." :thumbsup:  The bottom end is .. uh.. sturdy. I'd fly one any time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Chuck said:

The first time I saw the valve train of a Guzzi, I thought.. "Aircraft engine." :thumbsup:  The bottom end is .. uh.. sturdy. I'd fly one any time.

If my shipper is to be believed, I'll get to fly my V11 tomorrow...and render my verdict.

I'll be sure to wear goggles and a scarf.

Science, you know.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, VtwinStorm said:

That would be so awesome, if true.

The only radial engine tie I see as a non-mechanical engineer is the cylinders are in line with the chassis, and out in the airstream.

Would add some more significance to the golden eagle mascot, aside from the obvious nod to proto-Italian/Roman glory.

6 minutes ago, po18guy said:

Not a Guzzi, but clearly aircraft inspired.

Screen%20Shot%202021-09-11%20at%206.42.4

Put it in a supermotard and wear a cape while you ride and bully GSX-Rs in the turns.

2 minutes ago, VtwinStorm said:

Put it in a supermotard and wear a cape while you ride and bully GSX-Rs in the turns.

The vid is wrong. It should be this one:

37 minutes ago, po18guy said:

The vid is wrong. It should be this one:

Allen Millyard is a genius. It seems like there's nothing he can't do.  I've watched a slew of his videos and can't get enough. My first question to him would be ... where do you find the energy? His lovely wife's cakes no doubt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, footgoose said:

Allen Millyard is a genius. It seems like there's nothing he can't do.  I've watched a slew of his videos and can't get enough. My first question to him would be ... where do you find the energy? His lovely wife's cakes no doubt.

Alan, V4 Guzzi. Dooooo eeeeeeet!

5 hours ago, Chuck said:

First time I saw a Guzzi valve train I though..."Ditch pump":lol:

Ciao

• Like 1

I live in the sticks. Out here we do Tractor Pulls. There is a guy who runs the Tractor Pull circuit around here that runs one called Radial Reactor. It is powered by a Curtis Wright radial airplane engine. I think it is 18 cylinders, supercharged.

The noise it makes is amazing.

RadialReactor.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Chuck said:

"It'sa not a noise. It'sa sound.." :oldgit::grin:

Attributed to a Guzzi engineer, I think..

Basil Fawlty (John Cleese) in Fawlty Towers listening to a portable cassette player.

Wife Sybil: "Basil, turn off that racket"

Basil: "That's Brahms...

...Brahms 5th racket!!!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, GuzziMoto said:

I live in the sticks. Out here we do Tractor Pulls. There is a guy who runs the Tractor Pull circuit around here that runs one called Radial Reactor. It is powered by a Curtis Wright radial airplane engine. I think it is 18 cylinders, supercharged.

The noise it makes is amazing.

RadialReactor.jpg

Looks like he ran out of funds when it got to the front wheels, lol

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Looks like he ran out of funds when it got to the front wheels, lol

Ciao

Luckily, the front wheels are mainly only needed to get the "tractor" lined up to start the pull.

So wheels / tires off a hand cart are all you need.....

• Like 1