IGNORED

fork spring rate 03 Lemans

BillyB

I searched but didn't find much info - what spring rates are you guys running, when you upgrade your Marzocchi springs? I've seen references to 0.9 and 1.0 but no reference to rider weight. I measured my sag and have 1.5" of static (bike only) sag, and then 1 7/8" with me sitting on the bike. I want to get the front end in the right ballpark without spending much money on it because I'm honestly not sure how long I'll keep this bike - it may get replaced down the road with something more comfy for my wife to ride on back. Anyways I'm hoping to get the correct springs in there and maybe some heavier fork oil if that works to improve the damping in the Zokes? I'm about 180lbs without gear.

I'll be buying an aftermarket shock rather than trying to make the stocker right.

Thanks all.

• Like 1

Your spring supplier should be able to spec the rate and the preload spacers for you. Traxxion Dynamics spec'd mine and nailed it perfectly.  I have the earlier Sport without the LeMans faring and different (smaller) forks than yours, so my numbers probably don't contribute much.

As for fork oil, these forks do not damp spectacularly and many have found lighter oil flows better through the valving. There was a very well crafted, recent post that spoke of selecting fork oil in centiStokes, rather than SAE "weight" which has tremendous variation and overlap between manufacturers.

• Like 1

I'd think .95s are available so it seems odd they went with a 1.0 in one leg and a .9 in the other. I'll check with Traxxion, sounds like they'll advise the 0.9s.

I'll find the post regarding oil weight also. Thanks again.

• Like 1

Hi Billy,

please post what you find out! I too am putting in new spings and am wondering the same thing. I'm not doing the valving at this point, just new springs, light oil, and an Ohlins shock off of a Scura. Those three changes should be a decent improvement. 190lb. solo rider here.

Cheers

Traxxion said they don't have springs to fit without buying their high $ cartridge kit which I'm not interested in. They did suggest a 1.05 rate if I can find springs to fit the stock internals, seems heavy but I suppose all the bikes I've put springs in before have been lighter bikes so maybe he's correct. I'll try Race Tech next.

Essentially what I got out of the oil weight post is to go with 7wt, barring all the details regarding the actual viscosity of 7wt differing between brands.

• Like 1

Just to add information  not as a dictate, when I changed the springs on my Griso, which is a similar weight, I installed 1.05 kg/mm Traxxion springs. The Griso has Showa forks & with all the gear I ride with I'm at 200 lbs. This allowed me to get the sag settings I was looking for, 35 mm at the front.

Initially I bought a 0.95 kg/mm spring which was too light & Traxxion swapped it for me, costing me freight only.

Remember as well as changing the oil weight, the air gap needs to be precise 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2