Ducati's new model: the DesertX -

Looks like Ducati's response to the market's move to mid-size adventure bikes. That feels funny to say... a 950 being mid-size.

At first impression, the Desert X makes me think of my ex KTM 950 Adventure. L-twin, 21 inch front wheel, twin tanks, gobs of power. If the new Ducati is as good off-road as my old KTM was, they will do well with it.

8 hours ago, LowRyter said:

I think the V100 is a sport tourer whereas the Des X is a more aggressive off road version of the Multi.  

As with the KTM Adventure, a little tire change, and you can even get it more versatile.

20 minutes ago, Scud said:

Looks like Ducati's response to the market's move to mid-size adventure bikes. That feels funny to say... a 950 being mid-size.

At first impression, the Desert X makes me think of my ex KTM 950 Adventure. L-twin, 21 inch front wheel, twin tanks, gobs of power. If the new Ducati is as good off-road as my old KTM was, they will do well with it.

That's what I thought too when I first looked at the bike. Even if on one of the pics, there is "scrambler" written.

Why would they chase KTM on something they have a lot of experience with?

KTM does the Paris Dakar each year, officially. Will Ducati join?

3 hours ago, p6x said:

That's what I thought too when I first looked at the bike. Even if on one of the pics, there is "scrambler" written.

Why would they chase KTM on something they have a lot of experience with?

Because Ducati wants a piece of the ADV market, which keeps getting defined by off-road capability, even though most ADV bikes rarely see dirt. Journalists and crazy people insist on stuffing adventure motorcycles in places that are better suited to actual dirt bikes. My friends on 450s made me pose before they helped me out of this sand trap. 100HP on a heavy bike can dig into the axle in a hurry.

IMG_1043.jpg

• Like 4
On 9/23/2021 at 6:44 AM, p6x said:

Follow the link: https://www.moto.it/news/ducati-world-premiere-le-novita-2022-c-e-la-desertx.html

There are plenty of photos....

It explains why Moto Guzzi came up with the V100; although the DesertX is designed to be at ease off road.

I think this may more explain that Aprilia Taureg thing, the Moto Morini ADV and maybe the 850TT than the new Guzzi v100..  

Well, maybe explain the motor.  

Very cool. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Ducati make a desert scrambler with a carbon fibre sump guard but no protection whatsoever for the oil cooler.....smart.

Ciao

Now, really, when was the last time an oil cooler got bashed in a mall parking lot or at the coffee shop? :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

100HP on a heavy bike can dig into the axle in a hurry.

Hell, I had a 441 BSA dug into the axle in Michigan. I got off, left it running in gear. :D Every time it fired, the rear wheel made about a half turn.. The mantra, "When in doubt, gas it" counts double in the sand hills of Michigan.. :grin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1