RR Oil Dipstick/Thermometer...

VtwinStorm

I ordered one of these for my V11 Sport, and I'm excited to actually be able to monitor the oil temperature, seeing as Guzzi thought such info irrelevant to the rider.

The online shop sent me the one with the black gauge face instead of the white gauge face one I actually ordered. Currently waiting for them to respond so I can get it swapped.

I'd like the instrument cluster white gauges to match the temp gauge face... details are important to me.

Don't want my baby overheating, now...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, docc said:

Hey! I resemble that remark! :whistle:

Docc, don't be coy. We all know you've forgotten more about the V11 than I will or could ever learn.

5 minutes ago, VtwinStorm said:

Docc, don't be coy. We all know you've forgotten more about the V11 than I will or could ever learn.

Well, Sir, that is right charitable. :closedeyes:

Truth be known, my wiring harness(es) should be considered "Experimental and Investigational." :blink:  :luigi:  :whistle:

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, docc said:

Well, Sir, that is right charitable. :closedeyes:

Truth be known, my wiring harness(es) should be considered "Experimental and Investigational." :blink:  :luigi:  :whistle:

We could repeat this for Guzzi harnesses in general from what I hear...lol

Ducati isn't any better.

Generally speaking I've had very few problems with Guzzi looms as long as people leave them alone! As soon as you start chopping into them or adding shit where it isn't supposed to go things can go sideways real fast! Yet another reason to hate Power Commanders!

On the oil temperature dipstick business I have one in the Griso and while it's main purpose is to make one anxious I actually think that they are probably a better indicator of actual oil temperature than a gauge with a sender screwed into the sump simply because the material of the sump is cooled by air flow and, if it's raining, water which skews the signal considerably. With the dipstick the probe hangs about just about in the middle of the sump and is permanently drenched by the maelstrom of oil flying off the crank, (Where it has just finished doing its hardest work.) and whipped up by windage from the sump itself.

In my experience the stick gauges are pretty accurate, or at least the ones I've tested have been, when given the boiling water test.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fotoguzzi said:

A volt meter would be more useful.

And more ominous and worrying! With a volt meter, your entire ride can be tainted by worry over the electrics flaming out at any point. However, without a volt meter, you can ride in total bliss until...

• Haha 2

I got one for my bike. Scud kindly tested it for me on his Scura before he mailed it to me. It seems that my bike runs much cooler oil temp than Scud's. Probably because my ECU is running richer than his, or that I am too easy on the throttle. Perhaps I should just go faster. "Honest Officer, I'm just getting my oil temp up to clear the condensation".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

From my experiments with oil on the Sporti and the HiCam, my opinions, for all that's worth, is with a 2v/v Guzz you've little to worry about.

Oil pressure and temp on my bikes are stable and of little concern.

I've got a dipstick temp thingy and a pressure gauge on all the bikes.

I run a 15/50 full synth on all these engines

Sporti runs a bit hotter than my LM 1000 engine, which has a Vee sump and is stupidly well behaved and tends to run on the cold side. Sporti a bit hotter nearer 100C in 20C ambients and the pressure is rock steady.

My HiCam C kitted bike is a completely different kettle of fish. It runs around 60ish psi in free air, over 40mph, and temp approx 105, the minute I hit traffic it rockets with corresponding drop in pressure. Seen 130C sump temps, God knows what the heads are at. When you reach there oil pressure at idle is through the floor, around 8psi or less and my pressure light will come on, time to pull over and wait.

I advocated the dipsticks temps a long time back and was subject to some ridicule, not on here I may add.

It depends on your philosophy towards engines, being a test engineer in another life, I always like to have data if I can get it.

@po18guy jokes about ignorance being bliss but honestly I've came across people who really don't want to know.

Again not on here, somebody advocated that pressure and temp gauges are useless because Guzzi didn't give you recommendations on their limits. I just find that attitude astonishing, but we're all different.

As far as voltmeters I just run one of these little LED lights that changes colour when Voltage rises or falls between given thresholds. I'd rather have meter but not enough room and the light is enough to let me know I'd better get home or find somewhere to stop the bike and get a bus or train home. Better than getting stranded miles from anywhere on a dodgy road.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On another note seeing I'm on a roll.

Just acquired a Euro 4 BMW R9T, now that's different, BMW give you a little Yellow Triangle light, and a cute little engine outline with an explanation mark in the LCD.

That covers everything from complete loss of oil pressure to a sticky exhaust flapper valve.

You don't know until you hook up their diagnostic tool and a laptop or phone, to find out the code.

I need to find somewhere I can place a gauge or aux switch minimum.

Bee-emm guys seem to think that the bike will be fine in limp mode.................with no oil pressure............good fekin grief!!!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1