RR Oil Dipstick/Thermometer...

VtwinStorm

9 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Well just to add another perspective (recalcitrant of course, because that's what I am :)) I think they are very uncool and a waste of time. Just techno bling and another piece of  redundant junk.

Told you we're all different ;)

If I had the tools and skills of Phil (or Pete) I wouldn't need fripperies and baubles as my engines would run as intended

However being in the sausage fingers queue when the Almighty was handing out intelligence, I'm stuck with gauges.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2021 at 5:51 PM, VtwinStorm said:

I ordered one of these for my V11 Sport, and I'm excited to actually be able to monitor the oil temperature, seeing as Guzzi thought such info irrelevant to the rider.

The online shop sent me the one with the black gauge face instead of the white gauge face one I actually ordered. Currently waiting for them to respond so I can get it swapped.

I'd like the instrument cluster white gauges to match the temp gauge face... details are important to me.

Don't want my baby overheating, now...

Where did you order from? I'm curious how it fastens. Any other info/reviews out there?

• Like 1

Back in the day, The Kid, being an aircraft mechanic, thought it would be nice to know the oil temp on his (now Low's) Greenie.  So, he called up Gordon at MG Cycle. Gordon said, "Sure, I'll sell you one, but what good will it do for you? You *know* you won't like what you see sometimes, and then what are you going to do about it? :rasta: The Kid said, "Ok, never mind.."

Gotta love Gordon and Cheesehead.. :bier:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, footgoose said:

Where did you order from? I'm curious how it fastens. Any other info/reviews out there?

MG Cycle. They are sending me the correct one, and I'm shipping back the wrong one. So far, they have been great! As far as I know, it just screws into the sump...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On my recently installed TPMS (Steel Mate) on my Norge, it shows me the temperature on my tires, in addition to tire pressure and a clock.  I've never seen or measured the temperature before on the tires, but now have a baseline, and interestingly enough, under normal riding conditions, I can see that the rear tire runs 10C hotter than the front.  Now...the actual data on the temp isn't really useful, but over time, as a reference, it will give me a point of reference as to what's normal. 

I see the same on the oil dipstick, some may see it as a farkle/gimmick...great...don't buy it.  I think it's an elegant piece of hardware, and it's sort of cool (well, hot really) to see the temp while stopped at a coffee break, just as a point of reference.  Is it really necessary...not at all, but then again, is carbon fiber necessary, no...does it look good, yes!

:)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, PJPR01 said:

On my recently installed TPMS (Steel Mate) on my Norge, it shows me the temperature on my tires, in addition to tire pressure and a clock.  I've never seen or measured the temperature before on the tires, but now have a baseline, and interestingly enough, under normal riding conditions, I can see that the rear tire runs 10C hotter than the front.  Now...the actual data on the temp isn't really useful, but over time, as a reference, it will give me a point of reference as to what's normal. 

I see the same on the oil dipstick, some may see it as a farkle/gimmick...great...don't buy it.  I think it's an elegant piece of hardware, and it's sort of cool (well, hot really) to see the temp while stopped at a coffee break, just as a point of reference.  Is it really necessary...not at all, but then again, is carbon fiber necessary, no...does it look good, yes!

Totally agree. While parked, grabbing a sandwich and looking over my V11, I can glance and see how my oil is doing. If it is abnormally high, I can be aware and avoid catastrophe...not likely, I know...but I like to be mechanically sympathetic to my machines.

Plus, like carbon fiber on a Scura...I think it looks the business. Just a little something "nice" to have.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chuck said:

Back in the day, The Kid, being an aircraft mechanic, thought it would be nice to know the oil temp on his (now Low's) Greenie.  So, he called up Gordon at MG Cycle. Gordon said, "Sure, I'll sell you one, but what good will it do for you? You *know* you won't like what you see sometimes, and then what are you going to do about it? :rasta: The Kid said, "Ok, never mind.."

Gotta love Gordon and Cheesehead.. :bier:

Precisely Chuck. There's more angst and hand wringing over what is displayed on oil pressure and oil temp indicators than just about anything else. So basically you add another/multiple failure points to indicate information that 99% of owners don't really understand anyway.

Ciao

2 hours ago, PJPR01 said:

At least carbon fibre has a few practice functions like reduced weight and higher strength so you don't get cracking of the front guard and side covers around the mounting holes.

TPMS I can see a point to as a safety item with the bonus of a clock. Engine oil temp while I'm having a coffee! I'm more interested in the temperature of the coffee. 

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

At least carbon fibre has a few practice functions like reduced weight and higher strength so you don't get cracking of the front guard and side covers around the mounting holes.

TPMS I can see a point to as a safety item with the bonus of a clock. Engine oil temp while I'm having a coffee! I'm more interested in the temperature of the coffee. 

Ciao

I guess I'm more a wannabe engineer.

*adjusts glasses*

• Haha 1

Good one Phil...I'm going to use that the next time.  Make my macchiato doppio 20C cooler than my oil temp - now if the barista can make that happen, I'll tip double!  

:)  I have an oil pressure and oil temp gauge on my 911, both are useful to know and monitor and glance at (particularly before driving it hard).  Admittedly I can't see the oil temp gauge on the Scura, maybe I could find a way to wire up a sensor to send me the info to the dash (just kidding!!).

At any rate, the metal gauge looks a hell of a lot nicer than the bland black plastic dipstick...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PJPR01 said:

Good one Phil...I'm going to use that the next time.  Make my macchiato doppio 20C cooler than my oil temp - now if the barista can make that happen, I'll tip double!  

:)  I have an oil pressure and oil temp gauge on my 911, both are useful to know and monitor and glance at (particularly before driving it hard).  Admittedly I can't see the oil temp gauge on the Scura, maybe I could find a way to wire up a sensor to send me the info to the dash (just kidding!!).

At any rate, the metal gauge looks a hell of a lot nicer than the bland black plastic dipstick...

Cars are a different topic and have different criteria. I don't understand why people apply car logic to motorcycles.

Nothing worse than a "car guy" that takes up riding as his new hobby and then try's to translate "car world" stuff to the motorcycle world. Not saying this is the case here but "car guys" often just don't get it at all. Can take years to educate them and some just never get it.

A work colleague years ago was building some sort of track car and mentioned he was fitting a water pressure gauge to it! What the hell for? So he could tell if he got a water leak while on the track! The logic escapes me. If you know how a water temp gauge works you'll know if you have a water leak.

Ciao  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PJPR01 said:

This disparity would make me want to increase the rear tire pressure (within reason) and monitor the change in temperature.  On the contrary, perhaps the front pressure is too high and should be brought down a notch. A little of each? Or just of no practical consequence at all?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chuck said:

I would think the 10% rule would apply..

Okay, so, here is my understanding of the "10% Rule":

If the hot tire pressure is more than 10% above the cold tire pressure,

increase the pressure until the change is 10%.

Vice versa for cold-> hot change less than 10%: decrease the tire pressure.