Speedometer quit!!

ronkom

Help! '03 Sport Naked, 43,068 miles. Out riding, glance at speedo-reading fine, steady needle. Next glance at speedo....reading zero, not even a quiver from the needle. OK, took everything from the tranny to the speedo head apart. Speedo cable fine, speedo head fine (drove bottom end of the cable w/drill motor, good reading, steady needle). Checked out the little "60 degree" speedo union box (part # 04-76-83-00 in the earlier Spine parts manual on This old Tractor) It appeared to work. I drove it briefly w/the drill motor. Put everything back together. Took the bike out, speedo worked-(w/a quiver in the needle) for about 1/4 mile then dropped to zero..... awshit! Next step? My thought is to get a new 60 degree box & hope that's the worn part. I REALLY don't want to get into pulling the transmission. Anyone been down this road? Ideas?

Thanks,

Ron        

Ah, so, your 2003 is a 2002 "carry-over" model with white face Veglia gauges and angle drive speedometer cable.

Weak link is definitely the lower angle drive (not what is inside the gearbox). There has been a lot (alot!) posted about these. Let me look for a decent thread . . .

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the responses to my query. I had to stare at it a while, but I finally realized that the sleeve on the speedo cable housing had worked it's way down the cable over the years/miles until it didn't allow the inner cable to fully engage down inside the transmission. I worked it back up the outer cable, pinched it a little to prevent the problem reoccurring, and now have a perfectly working speedometer.  In the process I had the angle drive apart, & the inner cable pulled fully out, so now the whole assembly has been properly greased etc.  Who says an old dog can't learn new tricks?

Ron 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1