Supercharged Centauro???

Weegie

14 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

I read in the book " Not much of an engineer" By Stanley Hooker a massive name in RR the classic line from Hives who ran RR during the war when he first had a meeting with Frank Whittle to discuss RR building Whittles jet engine. Whittle said to him that his jet engine was a "simple Engine" to which Hives replied, "Don't worry we'll engineer the simplicity out of it" lol. Classic and true to this day. I've worked on American, European/American and English RR turbo props and high bypass jets and RR always seem to do it the complex way. 

Ciao

I was brass-deep in the restoration of a 1975 RR Camargue. Ugh...4 piston brake calipers, 2 calipers per wheel, cross-linked accumulators for the brake system, etc. Amazingly complex and completely unneccessary. The engine, however, was positively sublime. It was weak by American standards, but once made new you literally couldn't tell if it was running or not with the hood down. Sleeved iron block, aluminum cylinder heads, replaceable aluminum lifter blocks, huge diameter camshaft. I became enlightened about the practice of delivering Man's best effort, as opposed to an economical effort. The burled maple interior was book-matched side to side, and Rolls cataloged every other set of veneer between cars, to facilitate as in our case the replacement of a piece of wood with matching grain. I hated the car but the experience was Religious.

• Like 1