What's Wrong With This LeMans? Where's Waldo?

Mike Stewart

Wow. That lady has "been around."

5speed gear box with pre-V11 rear drive. 2002 LeMans body work, but looks like a pre-V11 1100 Sport-i in its bones . . .

241996651_10161378361353858_837165699667

• Like 2

Wow Docc, you are good! I noticed the 5 speed gear box and thought that had to be much work to make the conversion, then realized it was an older Sport running gear.... 

Wonder what the frame VIN plate shows?

• Like 1

Looks like someone selling a bike that hasn't an idea what it is and pulled up the specs of a 1100Sport. Whoever it is took the time to pull the motor and blasted the crumble off.. 

But that thing sure is tight!!!!!😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

42 minutes ago, Rox Lemans said:

Looks like someone selling a bike that hasn't an idea what it is and pulled up the specs of a 1100Sport. Whoever it is took the time to pull the motor and blasted the crumble off.. 

But that thing sure is tight!!!!!😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

That looks like a Centauro base and V11 Lemans bodywork, seat subframe, front end and engine. The grey painted gearbox is the giveaway. The other option is a Daytona RS base but that seems less likely.

Ciao

Did the '02 have above-the-triple clipons? Aren't the injected pre-V11 bikes the 1100i - which would be worth more than the  V11?

14 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

That looks like a Centauro base and V11 Lemans bodywork, seat subframe, front end and engine. The grey painted gearbox is the giveaway. The other option is a Daytona RS base but that seems less likely.

Ciao

I don't think the 5 speed gearbox will line up in the V11 spine. At least that's what Im told. Front will, back won't. I got that from 2 well known Guzzi mechanics in SoCal. The gearbox case between the 5speed and the 6 speed is slightly different. 

10 minutes ago, Rox Lemans said:

I don't think the 5 speed gearbox will line up in the V11 spine. At least that's what Im told. Front will, back won't. I got that from 2 well known Guzzi mechanics in SoCal. The gearbox case between the 5speed and the 6 speed is slightly different. 

You are correct but I'm not following your point.? A Centauro is a 5 speed. You start with a Centy and bolt the rest to that. My bike is a V11 Sport with a Centauro/Daytona engine so 6 speed, 8 valve V11 Sport. OR you can go the other way and have a 5 speed 8 valve "V11 Sport" starting with a Centauro and adapting the V11 Sport tank and bodywork. Or you can start with a Centauro and fit a 2 valve engine and V11 Sport tank and bodywork and front end.

This things a bit of a bastard. Short tank and Lemans bodywork as well. 

Ciao

• Like 2

Another possibility... this was originally a LeMans, but wrecked and rebuilt with a 5-speed tranny. Not only is the front master incorrect, the clutch is cable-actuated, not hydraulic. So maybe the tranny cracked and popping in a 5-speed was the only convenient solution at the time. Other than that, it does look mostly like a 2002 LeMans to me.

Or maybe that 6-speed was just to smooth... 

It is almost certainly not a 2002. Besides the numerous features already mentioned that are "pre-V11" the frame does not have the V11 "LongFrame" lower braces. The frame build tag would declare the build date of the frame. It very likely has the "exposed spring driveshaft of the earlier Sport, as well.

Soooo many mismatches to be seen. "Where's Waldo?"

> Every-damn where! <

:glare:

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Scud said:

Another possibility... this was originally a LeMans, but wrecked and rebuilt with a 5-speed tranny. Not only is the front master incorrect, the clutch is cable-actuated, not hydraulic. So maybe the tranny cracked and popping in a 5-speed was the only convenient solution at the time. Other than that, it does look mostly like a 2002 LeMans to me.

Or maybe that 6-speed was just to smooth... 

You just can't fit a 5 speed to a 6 speed frame. The offset is wrong and the mounts are different, the swingarm wont work. Lots of stuff.

Ciao

• Thanks 1