Old to new style tank swap

Grim

Since I've now bought the "new" tank... Are the qr hose connectors a universal part?  Is the hose diameter the same as the old style tank?

I think probably not, as I seem to remember having to buy some abnormally large diameter hose to go from the petcock to the filter, but after that it was smaller to the pump.

Thank you kindly!

IDK regarding the QR connectors, but the "abnormally large" (12mm) hose on the early system is from the petcock to the pump (or filter, as you say) and these are self contained on the later tank. All of the new tank fuel lines are for the injectors and return.

3 hours ago, Grim said:

Since I've now bought the "new" tank... Are the qr hose connectors a universal part?  Is the hose diameter the same as the old style tank?

I think probably not, as I seem to remember having to buy some abnormally large diameter hose to go from the petcock to the filter, but after that it was smaller to the pump.

Thank you kindly!

Your new fitting will need std 5/16 or 8mm injector hose. The female hose QD fitting is a std type I believe. Pretty sure I've seen them advertised around.

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have the tank all sorted, hoses done and test fit successful....but, I am trying to find on the wiring diagram which wires are the fuel level sender and which are the pump.
I have a 2 pin connector on the tank that seems to match the connector on the bike that was for the fuel level sender, however the other wires coming off the tank are blue and white, and weedy looking, probably not high enough amp for the pump.

So common sense says the thin blue and white wires are the sender, the red and black are the pump, and it is coincidence that the pump plug on the tank matches the sender plug on the bike!!!??!

benzinpumpeneinheit-komplett-v11-2002-20

Should I just find some 2 pin auto plugs and start again, not re-using anything?

• Like 1

I've seen a couple wiring harnesses and the two identical plugs were identified by one of them having a red band on the wire just downstream from the plug on both the main harness and the pump harness. Memory says the pump had the red and the fuel sender no red band.

11 hours ago, Grim said:

I have the tank all sorted, hoses done and test fit successful....but, I am trying to find on the wiring diagram which wires are the fuel level sender and which are the pump.
I have a 2 pin connector on the tank that seems to match the connector on the bike that was for the fuel level sender, however the other wires coming off the tank are blue and white, and weedy looking, probably not high enough amp for the pump.

So common sense says the thin blue and white wires are the sender, the red and black are the pump, and it is coincidence that the pump plug on the tank matches the sender plug on the bike!!!??!

benzinpumpeneinheit-komplett-v11-2002-20

Should I just find some 2 pin auto plugs and start again, not re-using anything?

Yes, that is coincidence.  The fuel level connector on your early wiring harness should have black and white wires (Perhaps white with a faint yellow stripe) and "should" fit onto your new pump assembly's fuel level sensor connector with the white/blue wires. Otherwise, yes, make up matching 2 pin auto plugs. [edit: earliest wring harnesses also have a similar connector for the early electric petcock with yellow-blue and black wires. DO NOT connect your fuel level sensor to this connector!]

Your existing fuel pump wires (red-black and black) have ring terminals and will have to be re-routed to connect with the new pump wiring (red and black wires).  You will have to make up a matching connector set unless you happen to have a harness side connector to fit the new fuel pump connector.

[NOTE: wire colors are from the 1999-2001 Sport diagram. The 2002/2003 "carryover" harness does have slight variations. If anyone has a 2002 wiring diagram, that will apply to @Grim's 2003-carryover harness.]

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, docc said:

Yes, that is coincidence.  The fuel level connector on your early wiring harness should have black and white wires (Perhaps white with a faint yellow stripe) and "should" fit onto your new pump assembly's fuel level sensor connector with the white/blue wires. Otherwise, yes, make up matching 2 pin auto plugs. [edit: earliest wring harnesses also have a similar connector for the early electric petcock with yellow-blue and black wires. DO NOT connect your fuel level sensor to this connector!]

Your existing fuel pump wires (red-black and black) have ring terminals and will have to be re-routed to connect with the new pump wiring (red and black wires).  You will have to make up a matching connector set unless you happen to have a harness side connector to fit the new fuel pump connector.

[NOTE: wire colors are from the 1999-2001 Sport diagram. The 2002/2003 "carryover" harness may have slight variations. If anyone has a 2002 wiring diagram, that will apply to @Grim's 2003-carryover harness.]

As always, I appreciate that I can get sensible answers to my (not always sensible) questions in this forum!!

• Thanks 1

Using @stewgnu's 2002 wiring diagram, it looks like @Grim's 2003-carryover has the same wiring colors I noted above for the 1999-2001.  There does not look to be any electric petcock wiring to get mixed up with the fuel level connector:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, docc said:

Using @stewgnu's 2002 wiring diagram, it looks like @Grim's 2003-carryover has the same wiring colors I noted above for the 1999-2001.  There does not look to be any electric petcock wiring to get mixed up with the fuel level connector:

Yup, no electronic petcock here, just the sender connector and the big beefy fuel pump wires. It's tricky to find the opposite end of the in tank Guzzi fuel pump connector, it would be simplest to keep the pump side in tact.

Hi, can anyone do me a quick diagram of how the fuel lines sit on an internal pump bike please? I've tried a few ways and the best I can get is this:

Project - Drawing 19026523628436615670~2.png

Looking down on the spine, black squares are TBs, the green is the output from the tank and red is return. Seems the possibility for links is endless!

47 minutes ago, Grim said:

Hi, can anyone do me a quick diagram of how the fuel lines sit on an internal pump bike please? I've tried a few ways and the best I can get is this:

Project - Drawing 19026523628436615670~2.png

Looking down on the spine, black squares are TBs, the green is the output from the tank and red is return. Seems the possibility for links is endless!

It doesn't matter as long as the "loop" is intact. Whatever works best for the shortest length of hose with the biggest radius bends and least stress on the fittings. Stock routing on many things isn't necessarily the best option but sometimes just the easiest way for the production line assembly. Use you engineering judgment.

Ciao  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Since the sender unit acts like a short when the level is low, it doesn't matter which way the blue/white wires connect to the harness?  I went white to white/yellow and black to blue...  But nothing seems to happen.

Thanks

I haven't followed this thread, but if you are talking about the fuel level sender.. it's not just a switch, it is a thermistor. It takes time for it to heat up when not covered by fuel to keep it cool. People used to unhook the old fuel level switches when fuel sloshing in the tank would make the low fuel light flash off and on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chuck said:

I haven't followed this thread, but if you are talking about the fuel level sender.. it's not just a switch, it is a thermistor. It takes time for it to heat up when not covered by fuel to keep it cool. People used to unhook the old fuel level switches when fuel sloshing in the tank would make the low fuel light flash off and on.

Thanks, so could it be wired backwards?  I cannot for the life of me find a wiring diagram for the in tank fuel level sender.
My 2002 harness has white/yellow and black wires for the old sender.  The new sender has blue and white wires, it had no plug when I bought it.