Lifting the V11

BrianG

+1 on using overhead straps in addition to any lift from underneath. 

What with the acceleration due to gravity being such a constant and relentless predator of motorcycles……….

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

+1 more on overhead straps.  If the bike comes down on me, I have other problems, because the dining room table is next.

20220223_204316.jpg

I'm using the Canyon Dancer tie down (er, up) device, which is really convenient.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I had to lift the bike a bit to take pressure off of the shock/swing arm bolt to remove it and install a new rear mudguard. Front wheel chock, floor jack with a piece of 2”x4” under the sump, and a tie down strap from the subframe to a rafter in the garage for backup in case the bike went sideways. I don’t know how kosher this approach is, but it did the trick.

EF0B95CC-3C9B-42CD-BEF5-44F54847350C.jpeg

• Like 1

Seriously, folks, no matter how you "lift" your V11, always (always) ALWAYS,  --> ALWAYS <--  use a "chain fall" or ratchet strap to suspend from above.

Seriously: ALWAYS

Safety suspend from above.

Don't find yourself and your V11 halfway to a bad day.

:huh:

• Like 6

I've found that the Moto Guzzi factory stand and a front wheel chock are rock solid without need for overhead straps. Those two stands and a platform jack, serve almost every maintenance need I've. But rarely have to use all three at the same time (and all without overhead straps). Many wheel chocks have anchor points so you can run a strap to the bars or lower triple clamp for extra stability.

Right up until both wheels are off at the same time.  All good as long as the front wheel is chocked and center of the V11 is supported from underneath (frame side plates or "maybe" the sump).  I rather awkwardly found that the slippery shape of the sump is not a reliable support surface. More of a "slippery slope" . . . :blush:

This can go straight south when both wheels are off without suspension support from above.

"Jus' sayin'" . . . :huh:

Extra straps for security = peace of mind. But the factory stand is super-stable. It lifts the bike from a low middle point and the rear wheel is off the ground. I've never used the spindle that comes with it, which is intended to lift the front wheel. I prefer a platform jack for that - in which case both wheels are off the ground. I can remove the front wheel and it's still rock-solid. Before I had the factory stand, I used ceiling straps.

That looks like a great stand. I am guessing that they are no longer made and are hard to find, like the other accessories made for the bikes. Thanks for the pics!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, FreyZI said:

Is that mood lighting, Docc?

It goes with the Barry White song he plays when he gets busy... "Oh baby..."

• Like 2
  • Haha 4