Basic metric sizes required to work on your V11? has anybody compiled a list?

p6x

As I am looking to get the necessary tools to work on my bike, rather than purchasing sets with a bunch of sockets and wrenches that I will never use, I would prefer to buy only those tools that are necessary. Since I only am going to work on the V11, I don't need to set myself a full workshop.

To go about it, I was going to go through the V11 2002 spare parts catalog, but maybe someone has done that already, or for those of you who have a functional workshop, maybe you want to give me the low down?

I am looking at doing:

-Oil changes, engine, gearbox, final drive

-Filter changes, oil, air, gas

-Valves adjustment

-Spark plugs

-Brake pads

-Wheels front / back removal to change tires

-TPS adjustments.

I have purchased and received the Becker-technik central lifter. the 18mm sockets 1/2 drive are already on my list.

I have purchased the tools to access are remove the oil filters.

I have purchased the interface and TPS cables to work with Guzzi diagnostics

I have the 2003 V11 sport Workshop manual with the torques, I suppose the workshop manual 2003 is identical to 2004? as far as I read, I only need to go up to 120 N.m for the rear wheel. All the other torques are below 120 N.m for my use.

This was educational - I had never thought, that seen from there (US) it is of course just the same as when we talk about Harleys here…Aargh… why do they have to use those funny measurements and make my life more difficult…

11 hours ago, p6x said:

As I am looking to get the necessary tools to work on my bike, rather than purchasing sets with a bunch of sockets and wrenches that I will never use, I would prefer to buy only those tools that are necessary. Since I only am going to work on the V11, I don't need to set myself a full workshop.

To go about it, I was going to go through the V11 2002 spare parts catalog, but maybe someone has done that already, or for those of you who have a functional workshop, maybe you want to give me the low down?

I am looking at doing:

-Oil changes, engine, gearbox, final drive

-Filter changes, oil, air, gas

-Valves adjustment

-Spark plugs

-Brake pads

-Wheels front / back removal to change tires

-TPS adjustments.

I have purchased and received the Becker-technik central lifter. the 18mm sockets 1/2 drive are already on my list.

I have purchased the tools to access are remove the oil filters.

I have purchased the interface and TPS cables to work with Guzzi diagnostics

I have the 2003 V11 sport Workshop manual with the torques, I suppose the workshop manual 2003 is identical to 2004? as far as I read, I only need to go up to 120 N.m for the rear wheel. All the other torques are below 120 N.m for my use.

Go and buy yourself a set of quality ring open end spanners, same for screwdrivers, a set of feeler gauges, metric 'T" bars, a set of std Allen keys, a quality 10" adjustable spanner a set of 3/8 drive sockets and 1/4 drive sockets and your pretty much covered. Probably about $250 worth in the states. Forget buying individual items if you are serious about your maintenance. 

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Having dealt with Japanese bikes for decades, I have a pretty wide assortment of the typical socket and wrench sizes, most used being 8 (Yamaha dirt bike weirdness), 10, 12, 15, 17, 19, 22 and 24 mm.  That said, I also have all the in-between sizes up to the 19, just in case.  So what did I find today that I needed for my V11?  A 21 mm deep socket!  What for?  The oil pressure sensor. Shee-yit.  Luckily I also have an assortment of inch pattern tools, including a 7/8 inch deep socket that, though fitting loosely, was "close enough". 

(Note: Please see the follow up to my original post on my oil pressure light problem., thanks!)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nihontochicken said:

Having dealt with Japanese bikes for decades, I have a pretty wide assortment of the typical socket and wrench sizes, most used being 8 (Yamaha dirt bike weirdness), 10, 12, 15, 17, 19, 22 and 24 mm.  That said, I also have all the in-between sizes up to the 19, just in case.  So what did I find today that I needed for my V11?  A 21 mm deep socket!  What for?  The oil pressure sensor. Shee-yit.  Luckily I also have an assortment of inch pattern tools, including a 7/8 inch deep socket that, though fitting loosely, was "close enough". 

(Note: Please see the follow up to my original post on my oil pressure light problem., thanks!)

Here's the "special" socket I made for the LOP switch on the left. It's between a 21mm deep and std socket and if you think it's hard to access on a 2 valve engine then you should try it on an 8 valver.

Ciao

DSC01097.JPG

• Like 1

i had an odd moment today where i could not find the 13mm socket… but in scrabblin about found 3, yes 3, 10mm sockets.  All of which will no doubt go on a quest together over winter 

• Haha 1

On 11/5/2021 at 11:39 PM, Lucky Phil said:

Go and buy yourself a set of quality ring open end spanners, same for screwdrivers, a set of feeler gauges, metric 'T" bars, a set of std Allen keys, a quality 10" adjustable spanner a set of 3/8 drive sockets and 1/4 drive sockets and your pretty much covered. Probably about $250 worth in the states. Forget buying individual items if you are serious about your maintenance. 

Ciao

This. ^^^^  and buying individual pieces will cost Much more. Price 5 sockets or wrenches and then price the kit of 10 or 12.