TLM Nijmegen - dealerhship tour -

We spoke about it before, but when it comes to automotive paradise, it seems the Netherlands have it all. Whatever I am looking for, vintage on four or two wheels, invariably, there will be a shop somewhere there that has it.

However there is a dimension that I only found in dealerships in the USA. The "gathering and get together" idea of a go to place, even if you don't need to purchase anything. This is a concept that I never experienced before. Perhaps because the law does not stipulate that you need to close on Sundays?

Many dealerships here organize events during the week-ends. The dealership becomes some sort of a clubhouse, and motorcyclists regroup there to spend time together.

You can watch the MotoGP races at the Austin Ducati store, while sampling on Texas BBQ and being among fellow enthusiasts.

I have never found that concept in dealerships in the European countries I visited. Also, and this is not strictly related to Motorcycle dealerships, sales' people tend to salute you and offer to provide assistance if you needed it. In Paris, you could spend hours in the Ducati store without anyone acknowledging you are even there. 

If you dare "disturbing" someone, you will get the appraising stare; you know what I mean.... the guy will gauge how much effort he should spare based on how you look and what probability his involvement could yield in terms of purchase. Not that you don't have this here, but there, it is the norm; here, more like the exception.

Back to the Ducati store, a few years back when I had a deposit on a Panigale, they had a female sales assistant which last name was "Champion" and looking like one too; I found her more intimidating than enticing.

Anybody from the Netherlands with an insight on TLM?

• Like 2
20 hours ago, p6x said:

We spoke about it before, but when it comes to automotive paradise, it seems the Netherlands have it all. Whatever I am looking for, vintage on four or two wheels, invariably, there will be a shop somewhere there that has it.

However there is a dimension that I only found in dealerships in the USA. The "gathering and get together" idea of a go to place, even if you don't need to purchase anything. This is a concept that I never experienced before. Perhaps because the law does not stipulate that you need to close on Sundays?

Many dealerships here organize events during the week-ends. The dealership becomes some sort of a clubhouse, and motorcyclists regroup there to spend time together.

You can watch the MotoGP races at the Austin Ducati store, while sampling on Texas BBQ and being among fellow enthusiasts.

I have never found that concept in dealerships in the European countries I visited. Also, and this is not strictly related to Motorcycle dealerships, sales' people tend to salute you and offer to provide assistance if you needed it. In Paris, you could spend hours in the Ducati store without anyone acknowledging you are even there. 

If you dare "disturbing" someone, you will get the appraising stare; you know what I mean.... the guy will gauge how much effort he should spare based on how you look and what probability his involvement could yield in terms of purchase. Not that you don't have this here, but there, it is the norm; here, more like the exception.

Back to the Ducati store, a few years back when I had a deposit on a Panigale, they had a female sales assistant which last name was "Champion" and looking like one too; I found her more intimidating than enticing.

Anybody from the Netherlands with an insight on TLM?

From personal experience I can say that TLM (Teo Lamers Motorcycles) does a lot of the things you mention. They organize bike trips to Mandello (GMG), do tours in the area, bike presentations and have a coffee corner. On saturdays when the weather is good, there are always bikers visiting, just kicking tyres. But the people from TLM always try to take the time for a small chat (with free advice if needed) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I used to see this welcoming attitude and sense of comaraderie amongst the dealerships on the west coast in the US maybe 20 -30 years ago...but certainly not today imo...Yes they are nice before you buy but if you are not buying or have already bought, most have little time for us " tire kickers" nor socializing with customers. This is something that has to be created amongst riders somewhere away from the dealership, sadly...they don't get it . some may argue that point, but in my experience, many dealerships don't even remember a time when for customers it was a place to socialize with like minds and cultivate  customer loyalty.  Thus we have forums like this...thankfully.

• Like 3

I don't know if this thread is about motorcycles or political geography.   But after a trip to Europe, I think The Netherlands is perhaps the most rational country on earth.  They seem to have freedom, tolerance, and responsibility integrated with rational solutions.   

I have no idea about the original of their language however. 

7 hours ago, Admin Jaap said:

From personal experience I can say that TLM (Teo Lamers Motorcycles) does a lot of the things you mention. They organize bike trips to Mandello (GMG), do tours in the area, bike presentations and have a coffee corner. On saturdays when the weather is good, there are always bikers visiting, just kicking tyres. But the people from TLM always try to take the time for a small chat (with free advice if needed) 

I have put TLM on my bucket list, for the next time I am in The Netherlands. I also found out they rent Moto Guzzi bikes.

I lived and worked in Alkmaar in 1982; lots of my local colleagues motorcycle fanatics!

• Like 3
On 11/8/2021 at 7:52 PM, p6x said:

I have put TLM on my bucket list, for the next time I am in The Netherlands. I also found out they rent Moto Guzzi bikes.

I lived and worked in Alkmaar in 1982; lots of my local colleagues motorcycle fanatics!

Hi p6x, I think TLM is good if you are passing by anyway, but as a goal of a trip it might not really live up to your expectations. At the other hand, if this would be the dealership where you rent your Guzzi, all fits perfectly together.

In your case it would be nice to see some vintage car show, one of the biggest is in the city of Vianen, somewhere in the second half of June (in the non-COVID years). For bikes there is a nice National Veterans Treffen in september.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 11/11/2021 at 10:43 AM, motortouring said:

Hi p6x, I think TLM is good if you are passing by anyway, but as a goal of a trip it might not really live up to your expectations. At the other hand, if this would be the dealership where you rent your Guzzi, all fits perfectly together.

In your case it would be nice to see some vintage car show, one of the biggest is in the city of Vianen, somewhere in the second half of June (in the non-COVID years). For bikes there is a nice National Veterans Treffen in september.

TLM has a lot of old Moto Guzzi bikes, I am wondering if they are just for show or for sale... do you know?

I have kept going to The Netherlands from H'town because Amsterdam was the only European gateway to Atyrau and Astana. I used to also go back to Alkmaar because I love cheese.... https://www.kaasmarkt.nl/en

• Like 1
9 hours ago, p6x said:

TLM has a lot of old Moto Guzzi bikes, I am wondering if they are just for show or for sale... do you know?

I have kept going to The Netherlands from H'town because Amsterdam was the only European gateway to Atyrau and Astana. I used to also go back to Alkmaar because I love cheese.... https://www.kaasmarkt.nl/en

https://www.tlm.nl/nl/motoren/voorraad/?ccm_paging_p=1

This is the link to the pre-owned bikes. But I think you refer to the classics that they used to have. I think most of this is not in the shop anymore. I do recall hearing something about Teo (former-owner) took a part of these bikes(Airone, Falcone, pre-war models) with him when he moved to Australia. But this is hear-say.

The shop is now run by two of his nephews.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1