Less than two weeks to EICMA 2021 . . .

The Moto Guzzi/Piaggio presence will be telling . . .

"They" have made it crystal clear that "we" are not their target market. I'm good with that. Pretty sure everyone one knows I have my Guzzi-of-choice. :oldgit:

That this direction has cultured a new and younger market segment, beginning with the contemporary V7/V9 range and effectively transitioning to the V85TT shows impressive direction and vision, IMHO.

Will the V7/9 ---> V85TT crowd embrace this new V100 platform/direction?

I, as just one enthusiast, do delightfully hope so! :mg:

• Like 2

I'm just not into any bike I don't have confidence in or a company that doesn't stand by their bikes.  Look at any bike they've sold in the last ten years and tell me differently?  Roller Rockers, Demand Sensors, Fuel Pumps, Dash Boards, electronics, greased bearings, timing chain adjusters, oil pumps, fuel pumps.  And then consider the parts availability if you find a competent dealer to work on it.

I'm yacking about reliability and dealer support and I ride a Ducati (one of the least reliable brands) (but knock wood, been OK).  

I suppose it was a fun game when the guys with tools and lathes figured this stuff out.  Perhaps feeling like mechanical aptitude was the cool part of it.  But now you need to have a computer degree and a smuggler to China to get it worked out.  

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

I'm just not into any bike I don't have confidence in or a company that doesn't stand by their bikes.  Look at any bike they've sold in the last ten years and tell me differently?  Roller Rockers, Demand Sensors, Fuel Pumps, Dash Boards, electronics, greased bearings, timing chain adjusters, oil pumps, fuel pumps.  And then consider the parts availability if you find a competent dealer to work on it.

I'm yacking about reliability and dealer support and I ride a Ducati (one of the least reliable brands) (but knock wood, been OK).  

I suppose it was a fun game when the guys with tools and lathes figured this stuff out.  Perhaps feeling like mechanical aptitude was the cool part of it.  But now you need to have a computer degree and a smuggler to China to get it worked out.  

And yet, I reckon that you will see a MK1 Lemans or a pan head Harley thunder down the highway long after the demise of more 'reliable' bikes.

Motorcycling has devolved into a 'user' only experience and deviated away from ownership.

And it's here that I will quote the dealer who sold me my Bellagio "it's a good day when a Guzzi breaks down as it gives you a chance to make it better than before."

"Just like an Italian marriage, when it works it's unbridled passion, but when it fails it gives you the chance to make it better. And I wouldn't have it any other way."

Chris.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 11/12/2021 at 8:37 PM, Chris Wilson said:

And yet, I reckon that you will see a MK1 Lemans or a pan head Harley thunder down the highway long after the demise of more 'reliable' bikes.

Motorcycling has devolved into a 'user' only experience and deviated away from ownership.

And it's here that I will quote the dealer who sold me my Bellagio "it's a good day when a Guzzi breaks down as it gives you a chance to make it better than before."

"Just like an Italian marriage, when it works it's unbridled passion, but when it fails it gives you the chance to make it better. And I wouldn't have it any other way."

Chris.

Chris, I think you got my point about  "having fun and games from the guys with tools and lathes figured this stuff out." 

But I'm not in either camp.  I'd rather ride than wrench.  And I may not be good at either one.  So give me a bike that I like to ride and don't worry about it to keep going. Two of my four bikes have been the shop for weeks.   I'd be happy to get rid of both now, maybe the Greenie too.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, LowRyter said:

I know............. it makes no sense but for those that do not want to follow the masses in appliance ownership it is rewarding to be apart of the MG alliance.

If that doesn't make any sense please advise.   :D

Ciao

• Like 1

In general, I like the low and stretched lines of the Guzzi's. This is very typical in the V7 Classic range and even better in the Sport 1100 and many older Tonti frame guzzi's, the Griso is also a very good example of this design/style. The V11 has this as well, but the form of the tank makes it already a bit different.

Now in this V100, with the air-intake underneath the tank, I think the space for this low and stretched lines is technical not so easy. The fuel tank still seems to be above the engine. It could be re-allocated underneath the seat in order to create again the lower line of the tank.

That said, it is difficult to really say something without having the physical motorcycle in front

Salute

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Some new info started to come out, and I learned (source Moto.it) that Guareschi is going to get some pre-serie bikes for testing. Still scheduled for 2022.

As all of you understand, when December comes around, things slow down to a stand still in many European countries. Combined with the c19 variants, and also the problems to get parts which is not an exclusive of car's manufacturers.

So, the guys in moto.it "think" the V100 decked out will be about 15k Euro. They are as puzzled as some of us are, not certain what category of bikes the V100 Mandello falls into. It seems a combination of genres, some are enthusiasts others are not.

They all praise that Guzzi ventures outside of their comfort zone though. With a more modern take to an old tune. Many doubts about how exposed the exhaust pipes are. Also, I am wondering if any time you need to work on the injection and ignition system, you will need to remove the tank? it is tidy and nice to hide everything, but for access....

Last, the new engine will be used in subsequent models, and everybody is poised to see what a new "Le Mans" would look like with the half fairing.

So, possibly good things are coming!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, p6x said:

Some new info started to come out, and I learned (source Moto.it) that Guareschi is going to get some pre-serie bikes for testing. Still scheduled for 2022.

As all of you understand, when December comes around, things slow down to a stand still in many European countries. Combined with the c19 variants, and also the problems to get parts which is not an exclusive of car's manufacturers.

So, the guys in moto.it "think" the V100 decked out will be about 15k Euro. They are as puzzled as some of us are, not certain what category of bikes the V100 Mandello falls into. It seems a combination of genres, some are enthusiasts others are not.

They all praise that Guzzi ventures outside of their comfort zone though. With a more modern take to an old tune. Many doubts about how exposed the exhaust pipes are. Also, I am wondering if any time you need to work on the injection and ignition system, you will need to remove the tank? it is tidy and nice to hide everything, but for access....

Last, the new engine will be used in subsequent models, and everybody is poised to see what a new "Le Mans" would look like with the half fairing.

So, possibly good things are coming!

Seems obvious to me, it's a Sports tourer same category as a Honda VFR750/800 was. Exposed exhaust pipes! Seriously? More exposed than the cylinder heads on a Daytona engine? The side exit pipes are the best protective device Guzzi's ever come up with for the head.

Ciao   

Just a comment on the V100 :rasta:  It's a nice bike, will testride.    Offroading with that exhaust isn't a point.  But a v good looking system.  Enough ok looking  bikes around  with exhaust systems so f UGLY, and sized for a tanker.    +1 for Italian ex systems, my V11 comes to mind, MV F4 R, 1198 Duc and and.

Have a biker friend, not a Guzzi guy, rides a 19 GSX F, he calls me all exited, have you seen the new V100.     He is a buyer if the weight is 220kg or less.

Will the engine behave and sound like a V11, absolutely not. Still pretty tho.   For making money, they are in the right market, I think.

Cheers Tom.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Tomchri said:

Just a comment on the V100 :rasta:  It's a nice bike, will testride.    Offroading with that exhaust isn't a point.  But a v good looking system.  Enough ok looking  bikes around  with exhaust systems so f UGLY, and sized for a tanker.    +1 for Italian ex systems, my V11 comes to mind, MV F4 R, 1198 Duc and and.

Have a biker friend, not a Guzzi guy, rides a 19 GSX F, he calls me all exited, have you seen the new V100.     He is a buyer if the weight is 220kg or less.

Will the engine behave and sound like a V11, absolutely not. Still pretty tho.   For making money, they are in the right market, I think.

Cheers Tom.

Yes, it is good that we existing Guzzisti are not impressed or interested in this model. We are not buying another, new, Guzzi, anyway.

That other riders, and young riders, are taking notice is the hope! :mg:

Maybe one of them will let me take theirs for a little spin. Then have a coffee together to hear, "I cannot believe you have put up with that fussy and difficult Old Sport all this time!"  :ph34r:    :huh::luigi:  :whistle:

"But, oh my! It reminded me of this wave I once surfed! And a woman I once danced with. A mountain I climbed . . ." :sun:

Let us hope this new direction still will embody that ethereal quality that is the essence of motorcycling and Moto Guzzi. (Without too many voltmeters and torque wrenches in the cold cold basement . . . ;) )

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, po18guy said:

I would hope it has more steering lock. Am convinced that half of V11 low-speed tip overs are during U-turns due to restricted lock.

Really, you don't want to ride mine as it's only got 2/3 of a std bike.

Ciao 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Tomchri said:

Cheers Tom.

If you want to see the ugliest new bike ever take a look at the latest Suzuki Hyabusa. I followed one a few weeks ago and then passed it. It's got an ass 3 pick handles across and a pair of muffler twice the size of my cars. A truly pointless and  grotesque piece of horrible garbage.

Ciao 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Seems obvious to me, it's a Sports tourer same category as a Honda VFR750/800 was. Exposed exhaust pipes! Seriously? More exposed than the cylinder heads on a Daytona engine? The side exit pipes are the best protective device Guzzi's ever come up with for the head.

Ciao   

Here they call it the Interceptor.

I knew the VFR.

I would not mind having this one; https://monsterpowersport.com/Motorcycles-Honda-Interceptor-2004-Wauconda-IL-da82629d-fb25-4acb-b9cf-ad840130e647

6000000001.jpg

• Like 1