Parts value/percieved value

Grim

Isn't it strange that the percieved value of V11 parts is so much higher than the actual price people are willing to pay; Nothing ever sells at the prices people set, I have a friend in the the trade who cannot shift Guzzi parts at the prices he sets, some sit on Ebay for years.
I just sold an early tank with all the bits for £70 ($94), yet the frequent asking price for this is often over £200 ($270), even with scratches/bits missing. 
I know demand isn't that high, but I guess a if you play the waiting game...  Me? I was advised by high command that the shed needed to be more empty, ASAP.

• Like 4

I've used eBay since nearly it's beginning. 
It was simple, the people were honest, and cheap.
Now, it's a nightmare; fees are high, flooding by new product makes finding pearls difficult, 'sponsored' product pushes your searched items out, can't even find the 'used' condition button without scrolling. It's so blatantly engineered to capitalize volume at the expense of your economy that I won't even list anything I can't get $20 for, when I used to list anything I thought someone would want usually starting at $0. I can't imagine trying to make a living on eBay (as my neighbor does, and quite a decent living too)
So I cut some slack to those listing used parts at 'ridiculous' prices, because they're running a business, at least of sorts. But I lament the days of people just trying to help their hobby community by not throwing parts in the bin.

Done crying for now...

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Pressureangle said:

So I cut some slack to those listing used parts at 'ridiculous' prices, because they're running a business, at least of sorts. But I lament the days of people just trying to help their hobby community by not throwing parts in the bin.

Done crying for now...

I agree with you there, my friend runs a garage/motorcycle breakers  and sells all the parts on Ebay.. He just has to wait a loooong time to sell some parts, he's had my guzzi exhausts on there for 2 years now!

• Like 1

Like anything else a part is only worth what someone wants to/ is willing to pay for it at the time.

Problem is a lot of folks are out there watching bike prices thinking the market is on an ever upward trajectory, so think parts are going the same way.

There will be a point where the arse falls out the market.  

Saying that I have a spare tank in my garage I need to offload. Now where to list it. 🤔 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Grim said:

I agree with you there, my friend runs a garage/motorcycle breakers  and sells all the parts on Ebay.. He just has to wait a loooong time to sell some parts, he's had my guzzi exhausts on there for 2 years now!

There *is* money in waiting. I once surfed eBay for over 3 years looking for a correct front fender for a '62 Norton Atlas. When one finally came around, it was near $400 with only 3 bidders. Rarified air, but unobtanium.

Some parts are V hard to find, waiting and searching is the word. Spreading the search I quess.  Seat for a 93 1000 S.  

Cheers Tom.

Used Guzzi parts have always been a crap shoot. Depends on demand.. Last year you could get an 02 tank for $250 in the US.. That same tank pending on color can be as high as $550. Saw a Legrano( sorry for the spelling.. The cool Guzzi green) green going for that.. Without the pad.. Will someone pay that? Demand dictates.. Im thinking close to that. Cuz it's green and in decent shape. But then a purple 03 tank will be $300.. Hard to tell.