Sporti front sub-frame issue

ffraz

Hi all.  I'm attempting to reinstall the fairing on my '97 Sporti after a repaint and I'm unable to align the mirror bolt holes with the mounts on the small subframe/instrument carrier.  Just eyeballing it, the whole frame assembly appears cockeyed.  The support arms that support the fairing and mirrors stick up at different angles and heights, and when sitting on the bike the instrument cluster is at least 1/2 inch off center.   Is this just Italian manufacturing "character" or is my instrument holder frame defective?  Has anyone who has had their fairing off observed similar alignment issues?

I am thinking you are referring to the fairing "subframe"/ mounting frame, not the front spine-to-motor subframe?

Any pictures you can post?

[edited your Sport-i year in your post, @ffraz, to read '97.]

5 minutes ago, ffraz said:

Correct - its the small trellis-type headlight and instrument mounting subframe that the front fairing also attaches to.  Unfortunately I don't have a photo.

So, same faring/instrument mounting for all of the Sport 1100/ 1100 Sport-i series?

Is it one piece?

Using CadreCycle.com for parts catalog, I see two different "Instrument holder/frame" . . .

GU01590500 (probably for the "trapezoidal" headlight)

and for "Singapore[SGP], United States of America[USA]"  . . . . GU01590520  ("rectangular" headlight?)

(Pages 12/13 on the CadreCycle link).

The obvious questions, How did it fit in the first place? Is it the original fairing? How much misalignment is there? Has the bike been sitting around in the garage with the fairing off where someone could have knocked into it? Sounds like the support frame is bent to me. They are usually easy to bend back into shape. 

Ciao

• Like 2

Did the "Instrument holder/frame" stay attached to the bike the whole time? (Not like it could have been bolted back on wrongly?)

Otherwise, no chance your twelve-year-old might have dropped it against the wall and bent it without full disclosure. (Uh, yah, personal experience  :whistle:  . . .)

3 hours ago, docc said:

Did the "Instrument holder/frame" stay attached to the bike the whole time? (Not like it could have been bolted back on wrongly?)

Otherwise, no chance your twelve-year-old might have dropped it against the wall and bent it without full disclosure. (Uh, yah, personal experience  :whistle:  . . .)

Just what I was thinking docc. Or the missus "bumped" it parking the car and seeing it didn't fall over presumed nothing was broken? 

Ciao

• Like 2

I had a similar headlight/fairing stay problem on a Kawasaki that I bought post-crash. I tied a nylon rope to the stay and secured the other end to a maple tree opposite the bend. Then, leaning the bike away from the tree applied pressure to the bracket. It took a bit of tossing the bike sideways against the slightly slack rope to pull the stay back into alignment. An 1100 Sport has more than enough heft to unbend that part. Just make certain it is a good rope and well secured.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

It's a pain getting the fairing back on sometimes if it's been off for a day never mind a while, or subframe dramas. The glass shrinks and warps and carries on like a pork chop.

• Like 1