V100 early adopters among us Guzzisti (and not)?

p6x

I am willing to purchase a Moto Guzzi V100 as soon as available where I live;  

29 members have voted

1. 1. I am willing to purchase the V100 as soon as available:

• Yes. Unconditionally.
    • No.
    • I may become interested later.

EICMA is around the corner, and the official V100 full details unveil is scheduled for November 23rd 2021;

There seem to be two colors, green and red, one version with all the bells and whistles, and a basic one.

Who among you is interested by purchasing either of the models? Moto Guzzi has most likely started the production, and the bikes will be shipping out soon after EICMA.

I know it is early days to gauge the interest since we have only seen the bike but we don't know much other than having seen it and heard it.

It also makes sense that Europe will be served first.

I personally would be willing to purchase the red version. Conditional because I don't have the space to park it at the moment.

Not liking adventure style bikes, not wanting to either spend the money or want a Euro 5 (Euro 4 is bad enough) machine and getting too dammed old anyway, I'm definately out.

Even if I had the cash and desperately wanted that style of bike I'd hold off anyway. Like nearly all brand new products it'll be 90% developed and the last 10% development will be completed by early adopters. I think this is a crying shame but it's always been the way in my experience

I got burned bad enough with the Daytona, where not long after they dropped the price, then released the Dr John

Sorry if that sounds cynical, I wish it wasn't my experience, but that's what its been to date

This bike appears to be a Moto Guzzi version of my Ducati Supersport.  I would imagine the Guzzi has the advantage of cruise control.  I'd like to test ride.  Doubtful I'd get one.

Nope, nope, nope.  As has been MG's pattern since the V11, the styling is once again a miss.  Not as gawdawful as some intervening whiffs, but still no cigar.  Gee, if they had only put the funny looking side exhaust engine in V11 replica bodywork, it might have been somewhat a winner.  Then again, once forced into water cooling, the reason for the 90 degree transverse V-twin configuration goes out the window.  The more compact longitudinal V-twin with chain rear drive makes more sense with water cooling. 

There was a Moto Guzzi before the transverse V, there could be one thereafter as well.  Maintaining the now outdated transverse configuration for nostalga sake is a failure to successfully meet the future.  JMHO, YMMV.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Admin Jaap said:

Seeing MG's track record with new models, I seriously doubt this: 'Moto Guzzi has most likely started the production, and the bikes will be shipping out soon after EICMA.'

I would have thought industrialization would be controlled by the Piaggio Group and more efficient, but you may be correct.

1 hour ago, p6x said:

I would have thought industrialization would be controlled by the Piaggio Group and more efficient, but you may be correct.

> efficient < - > [Italian] < - > industrialization <

That would be something to see. I suppose they really accomplished this far better on the V85TT than the V11 Sport, so "maybe?" . . .

I'm far from the cesspool of corporate marketing strategy, but I do know that sometimes things are done to lose money on purpose. This bike does not look like a part of such a scheme. Quite the opposite. To me it looks like a big push to the future success of the marque, otherwise the r&d was all wasted. The first "major" upgrade to the classic MG motor. Harley Davidson's resurrection came from two (well, 3) things. The American bad-ass biker gang wana-be persona, and the 1984 Evolution motor, IE; the beginning of HD's dependable long running (yet still classic) line of engines. (the third thing was that tariff thing) Everyone knows how well it paid off. HD and Guzzi are not so different historically really to think this a poor example to look at. Guzzi, as HD, has always been "behind" the rest.

So if this is truly a new beginning, why wouldn't they put all the cards on the table? This 'could' be a great motor. This 'could' be a great chassis. How it looks to Guzzi people of the past (me) plays a very small part. As I've said, they didn't build it for me. Why would they not continue with a v-twin? Ducati still relies on a v-twin. Guzzi could never compete with the Japanese multi cylinder, multi designed, multi line, hyper-engineered motorcycles. It worked for Willie Davidson... "stick with what worked for us and make it better, a lot better." It worked pretty well for John Bloor's Triumph as well. Add to that the sound of a V twin.. heartbeat, passion. Italian.

When the V11 spine frames were being produced, they were the best technology MG was willing, or capable, of marketing. At the end of the spine run Ducati came out with their version of essentially the same bike, the Sport 1000 classic series, which was considered, and labeled "retro". So for Duc it was a step back and a nod to the past to grab a burgeoning market, while for MG the spine/old motor was their top of the line, the best they had to offer. Guzzi couldn't "retro" because they hadn't come far enough to go back. I had the same feeling in 2002 when I bought my V11 new. I knew it was "behind" technically. I loved it for that. It was the perfect new/old bike. I'm sure it was not their intention, but they made it for me. I don't feel any of the same for the V100 because it serves a different purpose for the company. It ushers (hopefully) a new era. If I were a 20 or 30 something Italian boy I would likely be drooling for the arrival of this this new bike. Heritage, national pride, and whatever the Italian equivalent of macho biker dude is, could be what sparks "the beginning of a beautiful friendship" for a lot of riders.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Nihontochicken said:

Nope, nope, nope.  As has been MG's pattern since the V11, the styling is once again a miss.  Not as gawdawful as some intervening whiffs, but still no cigar.  Gee, if they had only put the funny looking side exhaust engine in V11 replica bodywork, it might have been somewhat a winner.  Then again, once forced into water cooling, the reason for the 90 degree transverse V-twin configuration goes out the window. The more compact longitudinal V-twin with chain rear drive makes more sense with water cooling. 

There was a Moto Guzzi before the transverse V, there could be one thereafter as well.  Maintaining the now outdated transverse configuration for nostalga sake is a failure to successfully meet the future.  JMHO, YMMV.

I don't there's anything wrong with the Guzzi longitudinal Vtwin design, particularly for shaft drive motorcycles.  I think it has advantages to the Beemer Boxer. 

I have a transverse Ducati Vtiwn, and I think it's great but it does have efficient chain drive. 

Both are 90 degree twins.  I can understand why one works best for shaft and the other for chains. I can only hope that Guzzi gets it's act together regarding reliability, styling and performance.  I do think both Italian brands have a better feel vs the Beemer and Japanese bikes.  Whenever I think of a Guzzi, I think of longitudinal Vtwin shaft drive motorcycles.  It's a great unique and practical design.  

Having said all that.  It looks like the future is parallel twins with balance shafts and various firing intervals to mimic 90 and 70 degree Vtwins.  That doesn't make traditional designs obsolete. 

As with many of my experiences with these machines................ I would need to see it first and for most I'm thinking its going to take time to really appreciate what it has to offer.

They will be fine I believe as long as they don't go too far out on that ME TOO branch and end up as just another soul less appliance as many manufacturer's have succumbed to unfortunately.

JMHO is all.                                      Its good to see them staying in the game.

Ciao

• Like 2

Personally, I am sold on the red one.

Aesthetically it is very pleasing (to me).

The French guy that got kicked off the bike said that the fairing is too low (but was it in the lowest most position?) to protect effectively, and he thinks the handlebars are a tad too low. He is tall and he said the position appeared to be good.

I am happy Guzzi has a new big twin. It isn't my cup of tea, I am in that group that has no use for a two wheeled SUV. "Adventure" bikes make no sense to me.

That said, I also don't understand why water cooling means you shouldn't mount the engine sideways anymore. It still has all the other advantages beyond cooling, like the way the engine doesn't impart gyroscopic forces on the bike when you rev it up, making the bike harder to turn at higher revs. And the sideways orientation of the V twin also imparts better balance to the bike, making it easier to handle. Or the simplicity of shaft drive when your engine is already rotating that way, if you are going to have shaft drive, and I like shaft drive on a streetbike, it makes sense to mount the engine sideways so it doesn't require addition gears to turn the output rotation 90 degrees as is often the case on other shaft drive bikes.

I am not married to the 90 degree sideways V twin premise, That was not the original Guzzi design, not even close. Guzzi has had many other layouts. So if Guzzi comes out with another layout that won't in and of itself offend me. I just don't want Guzzi to end up badge engineering bikes that were originally designed by Aprilia, just swapping a Guzzi badge on it. As long as they are designed by Guzzi they are Guzzi's.

I hope this new Guzzi is a step in the right direction. It just isn't one I would buy. But I already have too many Guzzi's. I need to start getting rid of a couple.

Those side outlet exhaust pipes do look vulnerable.

I see the V Twin layout as a way of having improved balance to control vibrations and give good air cooling.  Perhaps modern parallel twins and triples with balance shafts and liquid cooling are the best layout now.  All academic soon as the discussion will centre around where to put the battery - will it need to be quickly removable as a 'swop' refill.  Motor in the wheel, simple but high unsprung weight.  Conventional brakes or some form of electric retarder with regen.

• Like 1