V100 early adopters among us Guzzisti (and not)?

p6x

I am willing to purchase a Moto Guzzi V100 as soon as available where I live;  

29 members have voted

1. 1. I am willing to purchase the V100 as soon as available:

• Yes. Unconditionally.
    • No.
    • I may become interested later.

I cannot imagine that anything coming out of Mandello, even named "Mandello", will be "problem free not needing any recalls."

i think docc has summed the situation up perfectly. Those of us who have Guzzi’s with the 1200 8v engine know this only too well (unless it was a post 2013 factory roller tappet model). The roller tappet engines are pretty well bulletproof, but is took Guzzi 5 years to get them into standard factory production, and anyone with a flat tappet motor should get it rollerised as Pete Roper has throughly documented 

The new liquid cooled, wet clutch motor is a much more radical development for Guzzi, and I for one would wait several years for any teething problems to be ironed out before contemplating ownership

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 11:01 AM, Guzzimax said:

115hp, 1042cc, 77 foot pounds of torque, engine 4" shorter than the latest small block etc.

My 8V Griso is 110 HP, 1151 cc, 80 foot pounds of torque at 6400 rpm. Yes I know the old Guzzi big block even in 8V form supposedly couldn’t be made Euro 4 / 5 compliant, and I can clearly see the new engine architecture that now includes a wet clutch does shorten the power train, but at the moment I couldn’t find a reason to change my Griso for a V100. I can’t see how the V100 would improve the riding experience compared to my Griso, whose 8v engine design dates back to its launch in 2007

this isn’t meant as criticism of the new liquid cooled V twin, because there must be masses of future development potential, it’s just if this is its spec as launched I won’t be rushing out to purchase one. 

As I’ve often stated, the Griso 8V with decent mapping is a very good ride indeed…..

Stock Nuovo 8V motor, any of the 1200's, makes 96RWHP in stock trim. The torque figure but was also optimistic.

A well tuned and mapped one makes 'About 100' at the rear wheel and the torque is improved out of sight.

Those figures were from a variety of bikes. All Dynoed on the same tool in similar conditions at 800 metres altitude.

The old maxim that 'The Dyno doesn't lie' is patently false. There are many ways to get a dyno to tell you exactly what you want it to and since most people want "Moar Power!" That's what many dyno operators will tell people they've got. It's most vexing.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Chris Wilson said:

So if this new model is entirely built in a new factory...

Maybe I missed something. Where is this being built if not Mandello? And a model called Mandello not built there... the irony!!!

Scud, the plant in Mandello is getting a complete rebuild, at least according to grand plans reports from the company.  When that would be accomplished and how it would influence production is unknown to me.

• Thanks 1

Industrial progress in Italy depends on the season of the year. It is always delayed if construction is occurring during strike season.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Chris Wilson said:

So if this new model is entirely built in a new factory with all the power behind Piaggio and with no compromise and legacy from older models I still think that errors and recalls would be no more than industry norms, that is to say, expect none.

You don't have much experience in the motorcycle industry for present and past bikes obviously. It's a bit like saying the Japanese big 4 are big companys that make quality mass produced products, they never get it wrong. Let me tell you they get it wrong enough for it to be a concern even for a second model bike or car. Even if no "official recall" is issued it's very common for there to be problems aplenty in the mass produced world and the level of dealer expertise these days is so poor you really don't want your new bike back in their hands for work believe me. 

I've been involved in lots of "factory issues" as an owner and an inside observer that most are better off not knowing about for a worry free ownership experience but honestly waiting till the design and manufacturing process for a brand new design matures is the smartest thing you can do unless your the type that has zero concern for the "technical stuff" and happy to leave it to the dealer in blissful ignorance of what goes on with about 95% of them.

Ciao

Hi Phil 

I don't buy anything expecting a recall  maybe it's a glass half full thing but anyhow.

And the V100 is said to be made in a yet to be new high tech factory that would take,  what,  two years to build at least?

That is a good amount of time to call back any problems outside of the retail sector.

So, again, I don't expect any issues but that's not to say others internally won't experience them.

Chris.

• 3 weeks later...

From the Google, German to English translation in the a/m link that LP posted above;

Wth is this in laymen's terms "It is also the first Moto Guzzi to be equipped with a six-axle inertia platform (IMU)"

I take it that it would be something instead of the CARC system, but 6 axles?

1 hour ago, 80CX100 said:

From the Google, German to English translation in the a/m link that LP posted above;

Wth is this in laymen's terms "It is also the first Moto Guzzi to be equipped with a six-axle inertia platform (IMU)"

Well, Goober would never mislead us . . . :huh:

Not too hard to read "6-axis" inertia, but so much more fun when the translations announced the V85TT would have "maniacal valves." :blink:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 80CX100 said:

No 6 axis antilock braking and traction control

Ciao

• Thanks 1