Hearing Aids and Riding Care to Share your experience?

• 1 year later...

I have been looking for the best hearing protection to suit me on those long rides.

My Shark Race-R Pro maybe fine to protect my head, but not so much in protecting from the wind noise.

I looked for hearing protection adequate to be worn under a helmet, but not completely isolating you from the rest of the traffic.

I had settled on the Alpine MotoSafePro until I found that Quies, a 100 years old company that specializes in hearing protection had a product specific to motorcyclists.

One of the problem I experienced with the Alpine MotoSafe Pro, is extraction.

As Quies explains it in their French narrative, the hear conduit is not straight but curved.  Unfortunately, Quies is not distributed outside of EUR, but I managed to get a pair of their protection from a contact who went to France for the 4th of July.

I got them yesterday, and a quick test just confirmed they are more ergonomically suited than the Alpine. They are extremely comfortable, and easy to remove because they are bent.

Remains to put them through a trial by fire to get a final opinion. Note that other Alpine users have complained the MotoSafe hurt after a while. It is easy to understand why. The rubber skirts are a lot larger. Some have cut them, but if the cut is not properly circular, you defeat the purpose of having the sound only flowing via the center audio filter.

I also have to point out the rubber material used by Quies seems to be a lot softer than that of the Alpine; Also Quies is an ISO 9001 certified company.

Once I have put some serious miles on them, I will let you know.

Alpine vs Quies Moto ear protection

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, p6x said:

I have been looking for the best hearing protection to suit me on those long rides.

My Shark Race-R Pro maybe fine to protect my head, but not so much in protecting from the wind noise.

I looked for hearing protection adequate to be worn under a helmet, but not completely isolating you from the rest of the traffic.

I had settled on the Alpine MotoSafePro until I found that Quies, a 100 years old company that specializes in hearing protection had a product specific to motorcyclists.

One of the problem I experienced with the Alpine MotoSafe Pro, is extraction.

As Quies explains it in their French narrative, the hear conduit is not straight but curved.  Unfortunately, Quies is not distributed outside of EUR, but I managed to get a pair of their protection from a contact who went to France for the 4th of July.

I got them yesterday, and a quick test just confirmed they are more ergonomically suited than the Alpine. They are extremely comfortable, and easy to remove because they are bent.

Remains to put them through a trial by fire to get a final opinion. Note that other Alpine users have complained the MotoSafe hurt after a while. It is easy to understand why. The rubber skirts are a lot larger. Some have cut them, but if the cut is not properly circular, you defeat the purpose of having the sound only flowing via the center audio filter.

I also have to point out the rubber material used by Quies seems to be a lot softer than that of the Alpine; Also Quies is an ISO 9001 certified company.

Once I have put some serious miles on them, I will let you know.

Alpine vs Quies Moto ear protection

I've tried many types of  ear plugs both cheap and expensive  and spent hours reading and searching..I have finally given up on being able to find anything that allows me to listen to music or blue tooth calls and still properly protect my ears from wind/noise  damage..in the end saving what I have left of my hearing is the most important to me.  

I'll be looking to read your results with these.

I paid $7000.00 for my hearing aids including  a regular 2 year program of check up's every 6 months  for re-tuning with my expert Berkeley audiologist doctor and my hearing is great when not riding and hearing aids  in  now,  But of all I have tried these are simple and the best as far as comfort and protection when riding imo..but you wont hear much else with these inserted...I can hear the engine and gear box some.

Howard Leight MAX-1 Foam Ear plugs Uncorded NRR33 (50 Pair)

• Like 1

3 really good items I use regularly:

Slimbuds - wireless, bluetooth, exceptionally soft comfortable and low profile...all day comfort, can stream music for some company, but also great at blocking wind noise

Decibullz - custom molded earplugs for $25...soak the plastic in boiling hot water, mold to your ears, has a tube going thru to eliminate the odd feeling of being in a tunnel and reduces the pressure, also fits flush, no pressure on ear drum, all day comfort.

Silicone Swimmer Ear Plugs - if you want truly quite, full seal, but can still hear vehicles, but zero wind noise...also easy to use, especially on warm days...

• Like 2

Nice to know about  Decibulz . I have long used custom molded earplugs made by my audiologist, but they don't fit flush. And they're definitely not $25! Add about a hundred bucks . . .

• Like 2
3 hours ago, KINDOY2 said:

I've tried many types of  ear plugs both cheap and expensive  and spent hours reading and searching..I have finally given up on being able to find anything that allows me to listen to music or blue tooth calls and still properly protect my ears from wind/noise  damage..in the end saving what I have left of my hearing is the most important to me.  

I'll be looking to read your results with these.

I paid $7000.00 for my hearing aids including  a regular 2 year program of check up's every 6 months  for re-tuning with my expert Berkeley audiologist doctor and my hearing is great when not riding and hearing aids  in  now,  But of all I have tried these are simple and the best as far as comfort and protection when riding imo..but you wont hear much else with these inserted...I can hear the engine and gear box some.

Howard Leight MAX-1 Foam Ear plugs Uncorded NRR33 (50 Pair)

It sounds like you and I have both identical requirement with noise protection.

I do not take calls nor listen to music while I ride, but I listen to GPS directions. Meaning my phone is in my tail bag, and I follow turn by turn directions. Because Apple controls the volume since they know better what is good or bad for my ears, I have difficulty hearing the directions at speed when wearing earplugs.

The Alpine MotoSafe Pro black work well most of the time. The red are for track and attenuate a lot more. However, I have had trouble to extract the Alpine to the point of asking assistance from a gas station clerk. He had to use a plastic fork. As you can see in the picture, the large skirts of the Alpine oppose easy extraction, especially when temperatures are high, and you are sweaty.

Because of its form, the Quies is already better because the little tab that is used for extraction is larger, and the force required for extraction is low.

I still need to confirm after my next trip which will be around 1300 miles.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PJPR01 said:

3 really good items I use regularly:

Slimbuds - wireless, bluetooth, exceptionally soft comfortable and low profile...all day comfort, can stream music for some company, but also great at blocking wind noise

Decibullz - custom molded earplugs for $25...soak the plastic in boiling hot water, mold to your ears, has a tube going thru to eliminate the odd feeling of being in a tunnel and reduces the pressure, also fits flush, no pressure on ear drum, all day comfort.

Silicone Swimmer Ear Plugs - if you want truly quite, full seal, but can still hear vehicles, but zero wind noise...also easy to use, especially on warm days...

Thanks for providing these solutions.

I would rule out the Slimbuds since I do want any microphone nor controls on my bars. What I like of my Shark, is they designed their own Bluetooth communication system that perfectly integrates with their helmet. Unfortunately, the "Shark tooth" is not as good as others in terms of performance.

Decibuilz seems to be a possible solution, however the sound attenuation needs to be verified, cut off wind noise but let through other necessary sounds.

• Like 3

While I have been satisfied with reduction of wind noise while retaining perception of traffic and exhaust note (with my molded audiologist earplugs), I did learn (the hard way) that high pitched mechanical noise is obscured by effective ear plugs. This, unfortunately, allowed my GB500 rockers and cam to consume themselves over a long period of time. Until, one day, I heard it idling without the earplugs/helmet. The clatter was alarming! :(

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about such widespread hearing loss. Good news is it's fixable.

If this is leading to a wider topic on old rider health issues, I've got lots to say on memory loss. If I can remember.

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Art said:

Sorry to hear about such widespread hearing loss. Good news is it's fixable.

If this is leading to a wider topic on old rider health issues, I've got lots to say on memory loss. If I can remember.

Not so much hearing loss which is inevitable as we progress in our lives, but rather fatigue and tinnitus after a long ride at speed on the highway.

Wearing earplugs makes a noticeable difference.

• Like 1

P6x…I found that leaving the IPhone in my jacket pocket I could easily control the the volume if needed…I keep The music low enough just to have some company.  At one point long ago I did have a remote Bluetooth device within easy reach wrapped around a mirror stem, but decided against that even though I would really only use it at a stop and not while riding.  The Slimbuds are so comfortable that even without music they are excellent wind protection.

When I get tired of music I swap them out for the Decibullz…which also have multiple Ear foam sizes for a perfect fit and the tube that goes thru them solves the issue you raise.  

plus they also come in many vibrant colors so they are easy to see in case you also have vision issues!! 

i couldn’t ride without ear protection, it’s physically exhausting after a short period of time and too painful.  With great ear protection all day riding is a pleasure…not a chore.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, PJPR01 said:

plus they also come in many vibrant colors so they are easy to see in case you also have vision issues!!

i couldn’t ride without ear protection, it’s physically exhausting after a short period of time and too painful.  With great ear protection all day riding is a pleasure…not a chore.

I love music, but abandoned riding with a music feed (outside of my head!) finding it too distracting at inopportune times. I saw the same happen to others. :glare:

The last molded earplugs I had made in "vibrant colors" . . . right and left (standard maritime/aviation designations). Much easier to find when dropped onto the tarmac at a fuel stop than the standard, neutral color of silicone.

How people ride without ear protection just stuns me. Might as well ride in shorts and a tank top with your cap on backward, as well. <_<

• Like 4
10 hours ago, PJPR01 said:

P6x…I found that leaving the IPhone in my jacket pocket I could easily control the the volume if needed…I keep The music low enough just to have some company.  At one point long ago I did have a remote Bluetooth device within easy reach wrapped around a mirror stem, but decided against that even though I would really only use it at a stop and not while riding.  The Slimbuds are so comfortable that even without music they are excellent wind protection.

When I get tired of music I swap them out for the Decibullz…which also have multiple Ear foam sizes for a perfect fit and the tube that goes thru them solves the issue you raise.  

Well, my choice of leaving my iPhone in the tail bag is based on Apple's decision to leave the display on, if you use step by step itinerary guidance.

How arrogant of them to always second guess that everyone wants to look at a screen rather than on the road. Even if I turn the display off, it will automatically turn on, and stay on at the next step. There is no option to keep the display off, and to only follow spoken directions.

That explains why I need to keep my phone in my tail bag, connected to a battery else, it would drain battery in four hours.

Recently, I rented a car with a HUD, and directions superimposed in front of my eyes. This is safer but listening to spoken indications is perfect for me.

When I grew up, and got my first car, an Innocenti Cooper 1300, my first investment was to install an after market cassette player, amplifier and additional speakers.

Today, I no longer listen to music in my 911. Even if I got a good audio system. I feel that I enjoy the driving better by simply being only focused on it and the cars surrounding me. I make a mental note of looking for mistakes or potential threats.

I know, it is kind of excessive. To my defense, I can say that I drove vehicles in places where a simple accident can result in being lynched on the spot.

If I was completely true to myself, I would do what I used to, when going to rallies in the 60's and 70's. Study the map and memorize the itinerary. That's no longer an option though, because getting traffic in real time is something a map cannot control.

In the autumnal part of my life, I am trying to go back to the simple and uncomplicated pleasures that we remember from before.

Yeah.... back to earplugs!

I like the Slimbuds excepted for the necessity to have additional controls. I removed the microphone arm from my "Shark Tooth", and the only controls I use is the On/Off button.

The exhaustion part of riding without noise attenuation is just so incredible. When I rode to South Padre Island and back, I was completely knackered, but could not sleep because of the continuous whoosh in my ears. This is when I started my quest for alleviating the problem to the best I could.

Yesterday we had these incredible torrential rains in my part of the city. I took the V11 out and enjoyed riding around the neighborhood. People in their cars were looking at me, probably with empathy. If they could have seen my face, they would have witnessed a grin.

I came back soaked, but happy to have verified the Front Michelin Road 5 could take it.

Also, the V11 got liquid cooled, and I could tell she liked it.....

• Like 4
10 hours ago, docc said:

Might as well ride in shorts and a tank top with your cap on backward, as well. <_<

Don't laugh, but we have lots of this here in H'town!!!

Apparently, the world's future temperature prediction will make it only harder for motorcyclists to wear safety gear. I seem to be immune to heat exhaustion, so far... I cross my fingers that it will stay this way.

• Like 1