Rubber Intake Boots

LowRyter

Any truth to the rumors that these are hard to find?  I checked on a couple of sites and saw the original part number was superseded a couple of times but the replacements seem to be available for o/s delivery although not on hand.  

I ordered some from Harper's five weeks ago and still waiting. Yet, that may be down to their system issues and backorders that "reportedly" are seeing improvement.

Time for our resourceful membership to create a substitute part? A length of hi-zoot silcone  turbo-charger hose?

• Like 1

Have never gotten any good service from Harpers, on 3 occasions requested parts for 3 different items, Curtis said he had or would send upon receipt.  never rec'd any further response.  I use MG cycle as a primary source, then go to Stein Denise.  You could also try Jim Hamlin Cycles in CN.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, billgreenman1 said:

Getting the throttle bodies loosened is the hardest part. I'm afraid of breaking the mounts. Hence I have new ones but have procrastinated this procedure. 

Dunking them in boiling water, and using a smear of oil makes things easier. 

I think there is an order of left or right first that works best too.

13 hours ago, Tom in Virginia said:

Have never gotten any good service from Harpers, on 3 occasions requested parts for 3 different items, Curtis said he had or would send upon receipt.  never rec'd any further response.  I use MG cycle as a primary source, then go to Stein Denise.  You could also try Jim Hamlin Cycles in CN.  

Harpers is my vender of last choice. That's all I'm going to say about that.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/23/2021 at 10:20 AM, LowRyter said:

back to my point, are these parts going to be unobtainable?  

Still a good question. I wonder if this tidbit* of info may help:

Having waited three months for the Harper order to ship, I placed an order with MGCyce and they shipped the next day. They'll be here today.

*What I noticed is that MGCycle has the original part (01114300) superseded with 01114390.

As to the point, I have to think that we will continue to see increasing numbers of V11 parts become No Longer Available. Very common with 20+ year old motorcycles (and cars), especially rubber parts that suffer not only from use, but heat, UV, and time (oxidation/ hardening). For those of us committed to keeping and maintaining these fabulous V11, it seems prudent to have spare intake boots sealed in a bag and stored in a cool, dry, dark place.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, docc said:

... think that we will continue to see increasing numbers of V11 parts become No Longer Available. Very common with 20+ year old motorcycles (and cars)...

True, although there's a more optimistic possibility.

Moto Guzzi may wish that old V11s are scrapped, so you can buy their latest model, but if customer demand is sufficient, some aftermarket vendor will organize a fresh production run.

We see this with some vintage car parts.

And V11 gearbox springs.

And Roper plates...

Maybe soon Brembo 16mm brake master cylinder kits.

• Like 3

If I can buy fresh Mikuni VM24 carb tops for my 1966 Yamaha, then someone will certainly step up in the case of Guzzi. And, higher grade materials would likely be used, if one is going to all that trouble.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, docc said:

Still a good question. I wonder if this tidbit* of info may help:

Having waited three months for the Harper order to ship, I placed an order with MGCyce and they shipped the next day. They'll be here today.

*What I noticed is that MGCycle has the original part (01114300) superseded with 01114390.

As to the point, I have to think that we will continue to see increasing numbers of V11 parts become No Longer Available. Very common with 20+ year old motorcycles (and cars), especially rubber parts that suffer not only from use, but heat, UV, and time (oxidation/ hardening). For those of us committed to keeping and maintaining these fabulous V11, it seems prudent to have spare intake boots sealed in a bag and stored in a cool, dry, dark place.

Yes docc. I've been storing rubber parts for all my bikes as you suggest for quite a few years including the tank top chin pad. when I need a new rubber part I just order and extra 1 then give it a good spray in Armour all and bag and box it. My motorcycle beneficiaries will thank me for it one day.

Ciao   

• Like 3