If you were in the market to purchase a new modern retro classic bike, which would it be?

I have never owned nor driven a "modern" motorbike.

My preference always go to older motorcycles, but now with "neo-retro", it is tempting to get a new take on an old theme.

I still like the Moto Guzzi V7 Special, but the Royal Enfield for 7K seems to be the best deal! although the Z1 clone appeals to me I would rather get the real thing.

the Enfields certainly are popular, and seem well liked for what they are… but i have a w650 so that’s that itch scratched.

When I look at every year’s line-up of retros, neo-retros, modtros etc, I can’t help but think: “But I’ve got a V11 already”, and then I feel all smug likes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Depending on budget and performance:

1. On the high end of both I would get a Triumph Thruxton R
  2. In mid range, I'd lean toward a Royal Enfield, but not sure which model.
  3. On the super low-end, the Honda Super Cub is available again in the US. I think a Super Cub would be fun, you meet the nicest people on a Honda (or a V11 forum).
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Scud said:

Depending on budget and performance:

1. On the high end of both I would get a Triumph Thruxton R
  2. In mid range, I'd lean toward a Royal Enfield, but not sure which model.
  3. On the super low-end, the Honda Super Cub is available again in the US. I think a Super Cub would be fun, you meet the nicest people on a Honda (or a V11 forum).

I was at the twisted sisters again during T-giving, albeit on four wheels, and I met a Triumph Neo-Retro gentleman at the Eastern end of the 337. I am waiting to see how Norton is going to come out, but it is probably safe to assume they will be as expensive as the rest.

There is a guy which youtube screen name is quasimotard he has documented a lot of rides on the Super Cub.  Indeed, he seems to be nice.

Before I found the Cafe Sport, I was really tempted to get the RE Continental GT. What’s not to like. Brand new well sorted twin for under $7k, good looks, lots of aftermarket parts to play with. Until I finally went to check them out at the local dealer and they were all out of stock... Twist of fate, I now own a V11 Cafe and I couldn’t be more content. 

I also really like the kawasaki z900rs for a truly modern performance retro bike but that would be well above my budget...

And if money is no object, the Triumph SpeedTwin would definitely be on top of the list.

• Like 3

Of the scooters shown in the video, the Kwacker 650 comes the closest, a bit down on power and somewhat porky, but less weight than most of the others.  Is 75hp and 375 pounds too much to ask for?  Retro styling aside, I think the KTM Duke 390 comes the closest, anemic but flickable.  

22 minutes ago, Nihontochicken said:

Of the scooters shown in the video, the Kwacker 650 comes the closest, a bit down on power and somewhat porky, but less weight than most of the others.  Is 75hp and 375 pounds too much to ask for?  Retro styling aside, I think the KTM Duke 390 comes the closest, anemic but flickable.  

hummm i dunno man- the old ‘weight and horsepower’ debate?  …who cares really?  if a bikes fun to ride it’s fun to ride.  if you spend most time touring at high speed get a sport tourer, not a retro.  if you spend most time nipping thru the city get a scooter, not a retro.

Get a retro cos you like the style.  end of.  they’re all likely extremely capable machines so get the one you like the look of.

which is a moto guzzi v11. 😀

• Like 3

Thanks, my man! True to the neo-retro design, when new they were accused of being out of place, under-powered, over-priced, and equipped with obsolete cycle parts.

What a delight she is, though! (Both to ride and behold.)

And what is the currently available equivalent?

DSCN1168.JPG

• Like 2