If you were in the market to purchase a new modern retro classic bike, which would it be?

I went on a trip swapping between a Triumph Thruxton R and a Kawasaki W650. The R was the most planted bike I've ridden, and the W650 was fun, but needed more zip. 

So for a run to the cafe on Saturday morning, I think the W800 would be great.

W800.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MartyNZ said:

I went on a trip swapping between a Triumph Thruxton R and a Kawasaki W650. The R was the most planted bike I've ridden, and the W650 was fun, but needed more zip. 

W800.jpg

Compared to the Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 it has a 120cc larger engine for the same HP, beyond retro 19" front wheel, 27kg extra weight, no slipper clutch, 5 speed gearbox not 6 speed, Japanese bike spare parts costs and it's $3000 dearer on the road. You'd have to be crazy to buy one of these over the Interceptor.

Ciao 

• Like 2

The main clincher, for me, is the retro bike needs to be air cooled.

The radiator removes part of the nostalgia to own one neo-retro.

I really like the first one of this youtube video...

• Like 2
21 hours ago, docc said:

Thanks, my man! True to the neo-retro design, when new they were accused of being out of place, under-powered, over-priced, and equipped with obsolete cycle parts.

What a delight she is, though! (Both to ride and behold.)

And what is the currently available equivalent?

DSCN1168.JPG

Did someone had a peak at Velocette Truxton :rasta:. Pretty and V well proportioned.

Cheers Tom.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, docc said:

Thanks, my man! True to the neo-retro design, when new they were accused of being out of place, under-powered, over-priced, and equipped with obsolete cycle parts.

What a delight she is, though! (Both to ride and behold.)

And what is the currently available equivalent?

DSCN1168.JPG

Gorgeous docc. Just lovely. 

I’ll also sing the praises of the old Kawa W650 all day long, it’s a cracking bike, and apart from the rude welding on the frame, very nicely put th’gither.

Zooming on mine from Santiago De Compostela (beautiful town) across to Bilbao to catch the ferry is an ace memory.

• Thanks 1
17 hours ago, MartyNZ said:

W800.jpg

Yeah man- ‘zooming’ on a w650 is sitting at 90 with your chin ont tank haha

Although, even on the V11 i hate taking it past 90 -100mph.  

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Compared to the Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 it has a 120cc larger engine for the same HP, beyond retro 19" front wheel, 27kg extra weight, no slipper clutch, 5 speed gearbox not 6 speed, Japanese bike spare parts costs and it's $3000 dearer on the road. You'd have to be crazy to buy one of these over the Interceptor.

Ciao 

Absolutely phil- whomever is making the decisions at RE is knocking it outta the park

• Like 3
21 hours ago, MartyNZ said:

W800.jpg

I couldn't got past the Thruxton R if I couldn't have a Guzzi (V85TT)

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, cash1000 said:

I couldn't got past the Thruxton R if I couldn't have a Guzzi (V85TT)

2 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

I don't get it they are totally different incomparable bikes.

Ciao

Simple: must have both!  :race::grin::race:

• Like 2