If you were in the market to purchase a new modern retro classic bike, which would it be?

I wouldn't be buying any, just because I don't like the modern complexities and designs etc, that being said.  :2c:

I love big singles, and when I read about the performance and light weight of the Huskys/KTMs, I'd love to thrash a Vitpilen around a back country road with a set of sticky tires on it. I think that would be a special ride. :bike:

At this point in my life I hate the whole 4 cylinder/4valve/bucket shim/water cooled, concept, but as a former owner of a 1976 Kawasaki KZ900 (sacrilegiously set up for touring) I think that the modern retro Z900? captures the lines and vibe better than any other model. I'd love to take one for a rip, not sure what my survival rate would be, just as well, that that opportunity will never take place. lol:D The designers hit a home run on that bike.:P:

If I was forced to spend my own money on a modern retro, although it was never imported into Canada, it would have to be MG's V9 Bobber Sport in red :rasta:                                          

Classic lines, simpler maintenance, with sticky tires and decent suspension, the performance might be lacking a little, but the looks and vibe of that V9 Bobber Sport in red, hit all the right buttons for me.:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, 80CX100 said:

I wouldn't be buying any, just because I don't like the modern complexities and designs etc, that being said.  :2c:

I love big singles, and when I read about the performance and light weight of the Huskys/KTMs, I'd love to thrash a Vitpilen around a back country road with a set of sticky tires on it. I think that would be a special ride. :bike:

shimAt this point in my life I hate the whole 4 cylinder/4valve/bucket /water cooled, concept, but as a former owner of a 1976 Kawasaki KZ900 (sacrilegiously set up for touring) I think that the modern retro Z900? captures the lines and vibe better than any other model. I'd love to take one for a rip, not sure what my survival rate would be, just as well, that that opportunity will never take place. lol:D The designers hit a home run on that bike.:P:

If I was forced to spend my own money on a modern retro, although it was never imported into Canada, it would have to be MG's V9 Bobber Sport in red :rasta:                                          

Classic lines, simpler maintenance, with sticky tires and decent suspension, the performance might be lacking a little, but the looks and vibe of that V9 Bobber Sport in red, hit all the right buttons for me.:thumbsup:

Yea you need to check them about every 40,000klms! My 2.3L turbo 4 cylinder car has NO valve clearance check schedule, ever. As for water cooling, if you want high specific power then you're stuck with water cooling.

Ciao 

My dad has a 2018, nice bike with plenty of mid range grunt. Good seat w handle bars, nice street bike with very smooth UJM inline 4. This pic was w my old Katana, K-5 motor w 150hp, I miss that bike. :( BTW Doc you can buy luggage for the Z900 from Shad.

E95BFB5F-019A-46A9-AA31-8EABCA9AB7FE.jpeg

• Like 1

The Ducati Scrambler has been an interesting strategy for Ducati to attract a new market without having them commit to being Ducati Purists (whatever that is) or diluting the purity of the main Ducati line (whatever that is). I am happy to see the Scrambler strategy working for them.

My first bike was a "Modern Retro Classic" type-thing back in 1990. With 51,000 miles on her now, I rather doubt Honda would make that mistake, again . . .

cc3d3849-9112-4b02-a3e7-7ab7e1e534ad.jpg

"Ain't she sweet?"

• Like 4
4 hours ago, docc said:

Hey Docc,   Tks but that's not it,,,, the ones I've seen had sleeker smoother lines on the Kawi green,,, it might have been an older model. idk

edit,  Hey Docc I took a look online for the model I've seen,,, it's the Z900RS Cafe in the Kawi green  with a little fairing. The lines may be a little different or just the color makes it seem that way. For whatever reason. the rad doesn't seem to be as in your face idk

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Yea you need to check them about every 40,000klms! My 2.3L turbo 4 cylinder car has NO valve clearance check schedule, ever. As for water cooling, if you want high specific power then you're stuck with water cooling.

Ciao 

Oh I know all about more efficiency, power etc and the long service intervals. It just doesn't resonate with me like a simple air cooled twin.

The engine in my Suzuki DL1000 was a beast, very powerful, even in the lower state of tune compared to versions in other models. The shim valve wear/adjustments were extremely stable. I did the 2nd valve adjustment on it at 50K kms and only half of them were out by small amounts. But it was still a major pita,,, getting to the valves,,,pulling the cams,,, then burning brain cells and praying that when I made the trip to town for shims, that everything would spec out right when I got it back together.

It probably didn't need it for the low mileage, but being 14? yrs old at the time, I changed the inlet and outlet coolant hoses which had to be special ordered from the dealer.

That bike probably had the most powerful advanced engine, of any machine of any type that I've owned,,, it made my blood run cold, different strokes.

I am sure that this is not most people’s cup of tea, and yes it is deco and decadent and those 900cc jugs are audacious, but this has grown on me:

DF29E81F-30FA-4BFC-A3DC-AFECF3C38799.jpeg
For a retro bike I would be inclined to just buy an old bike, a loop frame or Norton Commando or Pan/shovel FLH, but for a new bike this might be fun to ride to the next Oktoberfest. I have not ridden one but have heard that they ride pretty good for being as big and heavy as they are, albeit a pretty low seat.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

In line 6's do sound cool. Inline 4's just don't typically sound that good. But I had an FZR400 with a race exhaust that sounds like it was ripping air apart at 13,000 - 14,000 rpm. 

Way back when I remember hearing them warm up a Honda 250cc 6 cylinder GP bike, it was an amazing sound. The older F1 engines also sounded amazing, back when they were V10's and V12's. Even the V8's sounded good.

23 hours ago, Pressureangle said:

I'd have the Ducati Scrambler, just because I had a Jupiter 450 waaay back in a previous lifetime.

Paris - Bonhams 2016 - Ducati 450 Scrambler - 1972 - 001.jpg

Always had a weak spot for Scrambler,, flat track looks.  There were 3 very beaten up Ducati's in the pile of 180 parts, junk bikes I bought early 90's in Florida. We had a joke, just weld them to the outside of the container. Thought hard to sell, was I wrong, instant gone.  Very decent Comando's, Bonnevilles's ++ coud be bought for 1200 1500$. Good times :rasta:.

Cheers Tom.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, GuzziMoto said:

In line 6's do sound cool. Inline 4's just don't typically sound that good. But I had an FZR400 with a race exhaust that sounds like it was ripping air apart at 13,000 - 14,000 rpm. 

Way back when I remember hearing them warm up a Honda 250cc 6 cylinder GP bike, it was an amazing sound. The older F1 engines also sounded amazing, back when they were V10's and V12's. Even the V8's sounded good.

What about non Inline 4?

• Like 3
7 hours ago, p6x said:

What about non Inline 4?

For those who have not, give a listen to Allen Millyard's Honda six replica.  FZR250 engine with two added cylinders. The genius essentially made the entire bike himself.

• Like 2