If you were in the market to purchase a new modern retro classic bike, which would it be?

13 hours ago, p6x said:

What about non Inline 4?

V4's often sound good. Not always, but usually.

It depends on the crank configuration and the angle of the V. But a V4 is usually a good sounding engine while an inline 4 is usually not that good sounding. They don't really sound bad, just not really good.

16 minutes ago, GuzziMoto said:

V4's often sound good. Not always, but usually.

It depends on the crank configuration and the angle of the V. But a V4 is usually a good sounding engine while an inline 4 is usually not that good sounding. They don't really sound bad, just not really good.

The Desmosedici RR is the only one of those V4 Ducati that sounded good enough to imply a purchase for me. The Panigale 4, not so much.

The Ducati Store in Austin had one when I was in the market for a Panigale V2. The owner of the store told me that I would get a lap on the RR at COTA with my purchase, as an early adopter of the V2. This was when the Panigale first came out.

I told him that I would rather have the RR, and let the Panigale go to Pluto. But the RR was not for sale, and even if it had been, I did not have 60K to get it.

I wonder if they still have it.

14 hours ago, p6x said:

What about non Inline 4?

That one was the first gen GP replica and they were about $70k+ when new.  The new V4 is about $30k+ for the desmo sport version and $25k+ for valve spring version on the Multi Stada. 

I think that they're all big bang versions with the two crank throws opposed at 70 degrees on the 90 degree V4.  According to wiki the firing interval is 90-200-90-340.  Anyway, like GP bikes, they bark, they don't scream despite running 15k+ rpms.

14 hours ago, Tomchri said:

Always had a weak spot for Scrambler,, flat track looks.  There were 3 very beaten up Ducati's in the pile of 180 parts, junk bikes I bought early 90's in Florida. We had a joke, just weld them to the outside of the container. Thought hard to sell, was I wrong, instant gone.  Very decent Comando's, Bonnevilles's ++ coud be bought for 1200 1500$. Good times :rasta:.

Cheers Tom.

In the 70's, I was going to rallies with a friend who had a Ducati. A "Gros Mono" as we called them which would roughly translate to "Fat Single". Reliability was not its forte, but it was nice to have one of those in a two strokes' pack.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

That one was the first gen GP replica and they were about $70k+ when new.  The new V4 is about $30k+ for the desmo sport version and $25k+ for valve spring version on the Multi Stada. 

I think that they're all big bang versions with the two crank throws opposed at 70 degrees on the 90 degree V4.  According to wiki the firing interval is 90-200-90-340.  Anyway, like GP bikes, they bark, they don't scream despite running 15k+ rpms.

There are three for sale at the moment; 95, 75, 65K; one dealer and two private sellers, one with OBO.

7 hours ago, po18guy said:

For those who have not, give a listen to Allen Millyard's Honda six replica.  FZR250 engine with two added cylinders. The genius essentially made the entire bike himself.

The CBX 1000 was on my wish list too.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, p6x said:

There are three for sale at the moment; 95, 75, 65K; one dealer and two private sellers, one with OBO.

Yeah, the Beemer-Duc dealer here that went bust had one, I think they said it was $120k.  They were vague who owned it, like they were about everything.  Went bankrupt and screwed a lot of people, some rumors of fraud.  A year or so later a new team opened up the same franchises in the same place. 

I think Don (Motiv) was the original mechanic there.  He once told me he had to purchased his own tools in an auction after they went broke. 

Anyway, Ducs are really collectable.  Despite the newer bikes are much more capable and reliable, you can bet the older rare bike will be worth something.  I remember that single cylinder bike they built in the early '90's is out of site for multi 10's of thousands, not sure why.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LowRyter said:

Yeah, the Beemer-Duc dealer here that went bust had one, I think they said it was $120k.  They were vague who owned it, like they were about everything.  Went bankrupt and screwed a lot of people, some rumors of fraud.  A year or so later a new team opened up the same franchises in the same place. 

Had a 'collectible car' dealer here, still not in prison but probably on the way. He was taking cars on consignment, under contract; then selling the cars and keeping the money. He walked with millions, left owners with no car and no money, left buyers with fraudulent sales and no money. Still getting sorted and nothing but sad stories left behind.
He was such a shyster he asked if I'd rewind a generator for $50. I told him I wouldn't pick it up off the bench for $50, and that was the last time I went in there.

Oh wait, he got 36 years lol. I imagine a lot of insurance and bond companies are still unhappy though.

https://www.tcpalm.com/story/news/crime/martin-county/2019/02/25/craig-danzig-blue-marlin-motors-sentenced-grand-theft-racketeering-fraud/2956689002/

• Sad 1
10 hours ago, po18guy said:

For those who have not, give a listen to Allen Millyard's Honda six replica.  FZR250 engine with two added cylinders. The genius essentially made the entire bike himself.

I don't remember the details, but I remember reading in Roadracing World about a guy who built his own V8 racebike using a pair of 400cc cylinders and heads. He just made his own bottom end and fitted the stock cylinders and heads. I want to say it was from a Kawasaki ZXR 400, but I can't find it.

I have a lot of respect for people who can do that sort of thing. Very impressive.