BSA is back! more rejuvanated old stuff to spend money on!

8 hours ago, billgreenman1 said:

I imagine that it is difficult to pass Euro emissions on a big single without water cooling. I'd prefer air/ oil also. 

Euro 5 is the word. With F.I., DOHC/4 valves and probably a catalyst, it's doable. More HP is almost certainly in the engine.

Norton. Again. Someone, again, "claims" - yet again - that Norton is/will be back again. No Wankel, no 270º twin and no retro. 1200cc V4 they say. 360º crank and 8 or so gears if one indulges their dreamy website's audio. Two mockup...er...uh...models. One less idiosyncratic than the other - or maybe just wearing more bodywork. Said website is pure chocolate frosting, heavily laced with testosterone, but very little actual cake. Again.

If I buy a Norton calendar, at least I can tick off the days, weeks, months.

• Haha 2
23 hours ago, p6x said:

Ah, but you are not telling us why you would go with an RE before you go with a BSA...

I would say the BSA offers more charm, because it has that different engine architecture than the usual twin cylinder that you can find elsewhere, UK or Japan (I am thinking the twin CB's)

I remember sitting in a cafe once when a chap pulled up at the lights, and stalled, his old Gold Star…. Gave me a chance to drink in the beautiful bike but also gave me backache just watching him trying to kick the bugger to life again!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

And now Dot is back(?). "Devoid of Trouble" caries a Kawi 650 single, so that bit is well done. What's next? Francis-Barnett? Pointer? A.J. Stevens?

• Like 3

I have a friend who has his old BSA Gold Star that he used to race at the Isle of Man, and after coming back from his usual once a month ride around the block was shaking his head.

He got off saying, it doesn't go, it doesn't handle and it certainly doesn't stop. And that's a true and accurate account from someone who loves the bike.

It would seem that the love for old designs is compatible, it 'was' good compared to what was available at the time.

This is what BSA, Royal Enfield and perhaps Triumph twins are up against, when compared to what is available at 'this' time can they be classed as good?

I sincerely hope to there is a point of seperation with retro singles, long stroke and heavy flywheels might be enough to put them in a class of their own but simply relying on nostalgia ain't going to work.

Chris.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Scud said:

And as for my earlier comment about getting a Royal Enfield over a BSA - my reasoning is based on brand familiarity and admiring what RE have been doing for a while. Also, Phil seems happy with his and I trust his opinion.

Mahindra has certainly not spared expenses to get the Gold Star together; setting up the design and factory in UK, the engine was conceived in Austria (not certain why they would know better there).

Of course they had to compromise. The engine producing 47 BHP only is not a surprise. In Europe, the limit for A2 driver's license is 47.5 BHP or 35kW with a ratio power/weight not exceeding 0.2kW/kg

This is not a Pepsi contest, but I like the spoked wheels and the single cylinder. Now, they could not be from a lesser god, they have the slipper clutch, the Brembo brakes, the ABS 2 channels, and the USB port. The dial gauges are a copy cat of the Smiths'.

The only unknown is the price.

I bet we will see the BSA in the USA before we see the V100 Mandello.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, po18guy said:

if I buy a Norton calendar, at least I can tick off the days, weeks, months.

You would have better luck with the Pirelli calendar, which is almost impossible to get...

24 minutes ago, p6x said:

...the engine was conceived in Austria (not certain why they would know better there).

Rotax has long made some of the world's best thumpers in Austria. KTM/Husqvarna also based in Austria and make excellent thumpers. So I guess there is a lot experience with big singles in Austria.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Scud said:

Rotax has long made some of the world's best thumpers in Austria. KTM/Husqvarna also based in Austria and make excellent thumpers. So I guess there is a lot experience with big singles in Austria.

And after H-D and their belt drive gave Erik Buell the shaft, he turned to Rotax for his 1125.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, p6x said:

The only unknown is the price.

I bet we will see the BSA in the USA before we see the V100 Mandello.

The other unknown is the dealer network. At least Piaggio has some semblance of one these days. Mahindra, although a giant on the global scale, has no recognition here in the USA, AFAIK.

If we're betting on whether a BSA Goldie becomes a purchase option here in The States before a V100 Mandello, what are the stakes?

Anté up!

:ph34r:  :sun:  <_<

Mahindra is not stupid. Since they are in no way directly competing with Triumph, could they - would they seek an arrangement to distribute through existing Triumph dealers? Cannot see a hook-up with Enfield.

• Like 1
On 12/6/2021 at 7:24 PM, docc said:

The other unknown is the dealer network. At least Piaggio has some semblance of one these days. Mahindra, although a giant on the global scale, has no recognition here in the USA, AFAIK.

If we're betting on whether a BSA Goldie becomes a purchase option here in The States before a V100 Mandello, what are the stakes?

Anté up!

:ph34r:  :sun:  <_<

Is Mahindra really interested in the US market? is the BSA Gold Star a product that would sell here, outside of curiosity?

I don't pretend to have much experience of the motorcycle community here in Texas. I ride my Guzzi almost every day, and I don't really see anything significant but Harley riders.

MPH always has a lot of vintage bikes in their workshop, but I never see them on the road.

Harley Davidson still rules, at least here in Texas. It seems to me the Gold Star would be too confidential.

• Like 1
On 12/6/2021 at 10:29 PM, po18guy said:

Mahindra is not stupid. Since they are in no way directly competing with Triumph, could they - would they seek an arrangement to distribute through existing Triumph dealers? Cannot see a hook-up with Enfield.

If you go to the Royal Enfield website, they have a link "Become a Dealer"; the questionnaire is relatively straight forward.

Nothing would prevent Mahindra to do the same; but as per my answer to Docc's, after listening to more Gold Star reviews, I think this bike is more of a city dweller than anything. Who are the customers for such a bike?

We can take away the HD riders; that leaves the crotch rocket riders, who are not going to even look at a BSA.