Side stand foot.

Chris Wilson

Hi Chris,

I did something like that to my Wing & LMIV.  After installing new fork springs on the Goldwing, I felt the lean angle on the side stand (especially when the rear shock was aired up} was not only too severe but required more grunt to get it upright.  So, I added a small shim to the bottom of the stand that also increased the footprint for more load bearing.  On my Lemans, I added about 1/2" thick shim and doubled the size of the footprint.  The side stand down lean angle was so great that it would be able to fall over if anything was in the the side bag.  I'd post pics but haven't figured out how to make my photos under 200kb....something else I have add to my "things to learn" list!

Art

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Art.. if it is leaning that much, just to be safe, check the bolt that attaches to the engine.

This is doubly-extra true of the V11 Sport/LeMans!

The little Achilles fastener into the sump spacer (circled in red) as well as the large fastener screwed into the timing chest (that should be torqued to [something like] 70 Nm)!

DSCN2894.jpg

• Thanks 1

Hi Art, 

I agree with a change in ride hieght needing a change in stand hieght.

On my Lux model Bellagio there is only about 50 mm rear suspension travel and I have upgraded the shock to include 120mm travel and lower the front end by 15mm so the stance the bike had is now very different.

Coupled with the fact that the side stand on a Bellagio is a biatch to kick down as using the tang that's meant for the job as it burns your boot sole against the headers since it's so close.

So adding real estate to the foot allows easier deployment since it sticks out a bit further as well as giving insurance on soft surfaces.

Chris.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chuck said:

Art.. if it is leaning that much, just to be safe, check the bolt that attaches to the engine.

Yep, last service said my side stand was about to fall off due to vibration unscrewing the bolts.

Luckily the mechanic knew this was a known issue .

Chris.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, guzziart said:

I'd post pics but haven't figured out how to make my photos under 200kb....something else I have add to my "things to learn" list!

Art

Screen shot your image and then crop it tight with any free image software?

I use freeware Photo Editor to reduce the quality and then crop.

Chris.

[docc edit to show the reply outside of the quote window.]

The Daytonas were pretty awful, suicide (self retracting) stand mounted on the front corner of the engine case. Unless you had supermodel legs, or were exceedingly tall you needed to get off the bike to put it down, balance the bike on one foot, the other being needed to push out and hold down the stand. Once on the stand the bike was unstable even gentle drops off would tip the bike forward, cause the rear wheel to lift then it was usually game over

My R9T had a sidestand so short I could not lift the bike upright while astride it and had to install a longer stand. I can now lift it up off the stand, but still use a hockey puck below the foot most of the time.

The "foot" that @Chris Wilson posted are commercially available (in different shapes and sizes) for BMWs from quite a few aftermarket parts providers to raise them a little and spread the load. Well documented problem that BMW just ignore.

On 12/11/2021 at 5:04 AM, Chris Wilson said:

My meagre attempt at stopping my side stand from being buried in soft soil or melted bitumen.

Chris.

IMG_20211211_145751.jpg

My side stands is often on the ground in hairpins and a bit longer curves. Are you not afraid of hitting the ground with this big square? 

By the way, we used to cut a square piece out of a worn tyre and screwed this underneath the side stand to get more surface. (for enduro motorcycles)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, motortouring said:

My side stands is often on the ground in hairpins and a bit longer curves. Are you not afraid of hitting the ground with this big square? 

By the way, we used to cut a square piece out of a worn tyre and screwed this underneath the side stand to get more surface. (for enduro motorcycles)

If my side stand foot ever grounded in a corner it would be a sure sign that I have fallen off!

It's tucked away on the rear of the sump near the base of the foot peg.

But that is a serious design concern with these things.

Chris.

• Haha 1

On 12/10/2021 at 10:04 PM, Chris Wilson said:

My meagre attempt at stopping my side stand from being buried in soft soil or melted bitumen.

Chris.

IMG_20211211_145751.jpg

I carry a spreader plate with me. Just like the crane people do with their outriggers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, p6x said:

I carry a spreader plate with me. Just like the crane people do with their outriggers.

How do you pick the plate up again when you are on the bike with the side stand flicked up?

I have done similar in the past using an offcut of floor board but it's too difficult for me to  hold the bike one handed, pick up your plate or board with the other , stowing the plate and then mounting all single handedly.

Chris.

3 minutes ago, Chris Wilson said:

How do you pick the plate up again when you are on the bike with the side stand flicked up?

I have done similar in the past using an offcut of floor board but it's too difficult for me to  hold the bike one handed, pick up your plate or board with the other , stowing the plate and then mounting all single handedly.

Chris.

It has a piece of string tied to it and looped over the l/h bar grip. Get on the bike, retract the sidestand and pull up the string wrap it around the stand plate and put it in your jacket. That's what I'd do.

Just off to patent that now.

Ciao 

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, Chris Wilson said:

Yep, last service said my side stand was about to fall off due to vibration unscrewing the bolts.

Luckily the mechanic knew this was a known issue .

Chris.

What with the Bellagio not sold in the USA, I had to take a look at the configuration of @Chris Wilson's side stand. I was pretty sure it is not like the V11's Rube Goldberg device. Also, pretty sure the V11 sidestand is much more likely to touch down in a deep left-hander. (Mine has never touched again after the Öhlins shock, and spring changes.)

bl3.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

22 hours ago, Chris Wilson said:

Screen shot your image and then crop it tight with any free image software?

I use freeware Photo Editor to reduce the quality and then crop.

Chris.

[docc edit to show the reply outside of the quote window.]

Thanks Chris, I'll look into it!

• Like 1