Side stand foot.

Chris Wilson

So, yep, across models, sidestands have some commonalities:Ā  Length, foot, attachment, springs (retraction), touch-down/clearance, cut-out switch(?), and even the deployment lever/ boot-burner . . .

IMG_2796.JPG

Ā 

1 hour ago, docc said:

....... and even the deployment lever/ boot-burner . . .

IMG_2796.JPG

Ā 

Boot burner,Ā  copy that!

My left heel and toe looks like it's suffered a Hawaiian fire walk and it's the one reason why I would have a twoĀ  into one right side header made to eliminate the left hand one.

Chris.

• Like 1

I actually reckon that adding mass to the end of a cantilevered beam, such as here with a stand, acts as a harmonic dampener.Ā 

Witness handle bar end weights.

Perhaps this limits the mounting bolts coming loose when the length of the beam acts like a tuning fork due to engine pulses.

I note that my double retract springs are sleeved with rubber that stops vibration induced fatigue much like drum brake return springs are so there must significant twanging goin on here!

Chris.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chris Wilson said:

I actually reckon that adding mass to the end of a cantilevered beam, such as here with a stand, acts as a harmonic dampener.Ā 

Witness handle bar end weights.

Perhaps this limits the mounting bolts coming loose when the length of the beam acts like a tuning fork due to engine pulses.

I note that my double retract springs are sleeved with rubber that stops vibration induced fatigue much like drum brake return springs are so there must significant twanging goin on here!

Chris.

Or so the coils don't interfere with each other on extension/retraction so the stand operates smoothly. At the end of the day it's a spring loaded metal stick with foot on the end of it so it doesn't pierce soft ground. I doubt harmonics is a factor really. Especially an Italian side stand. The fact you get one in the first place from the Italians is a bonus.

Ciao

• Haha 1

Hi Phil, the number of side stand feet and the mount bolts coming loose is then due to something g else besides harmonics?

And the side stand is a bonus on a bike with no centre stand?

I doubt that a road worthy certificate would be issued unless its standard issue.

Chris.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chris Wilson said:

Hi Phil, the number of side stand feet and the mount bolts coming loose is then due to something g else besides harmonics?

I doubt that a road worthy certificate would be issued unless its standard issue.

Chris.

I've never had any issues with side stand components loosening myself. Most side stand issues I've seen have just been a lack of maintenance and foolish owners that think sitting on the bike while it's on the side stand is a "think to do" or pull the bike over on the side stand and use it to pivot the bike around to point the other way or to rotate the back wheel to lube the chain. A lot of side stands aren't engineered for those sort of actions and stresses. Guzzi did upgrade the V11 Sport side stand support bracket secondary bolt from 6mm to 8mm.Ā 

Yes they way the Italians design a side stand you'd think they consider it a bonus item. The self retracing unit on my 851 looked like an afterthought and some I've had were almost impossible to extend without being an expert in Yoga, on or off the bike.

Only Vehicles category LC (motorcycles) manufactured after 1 July 1988 require a stand in any form per the Australian Vehicle standards. Prior to that you can register them leant against a wall or propped up with a stick you carry in your jacket.

CiaoĀ Ā Ā Ā 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Or so the coils don't interfere with each other on extension/retraction so the stand operates smoothly.

On the Bellagio, pic provided, a smaller diameter and longer length coil sits inside of the shorter larger diameter one so interference between the two is guaranteed.

The rubber tube is only in contact with the larger diameter outside coil and only effects that spring.

On my old K75 the rear drum brake used to snapĀ  return springs due to harmonic vibration between shoes ( official BMW statement) resulting in rear wheel lock ups from stray spring pieces wedging the brakes.

A BMW recall addressed this problem by providing an orange block of rubber channelled out to provide contact with one side of the spring.

10 years later no more broken springs so I guess it worked.

Chris.

• Thanks 1

I'm shocked how far forward the sidestand mounts to the front left engine sump.

If not for the folded wire halfway up the sidestand, there would be no way for me to reach it while astride the bike.

Very strange sidestand design and location...but I kind of like it the more I look at it and use it.

Quirky Moto Guzzi... being quirky.

On 12/14/2021 at 10:36 PM, Chris Wilson said:

Chris.

I'd really love a center stand on my V11 Sport.