It's hot in H'town!!! just broke highest Temp recorded in December: 84 degF (29 degC); "Feel like" well into the 90's with the humidity...

It is one of these topics with mixed feelings! https://www.chron.com/weather/article/houston-record-heat-16691954.php

Yesterday and the day before, it felt like summer in H'town. Perfect for riding a motorcycle, albeit a Guzzi. I am still running around with my summer gear, and I don't even know if I need to purchase any winter clothing.

Even with good protection, riding in the winter is never as enjoyable as when the sun shines. And we got plenty of that here, close to the GOM. Sure, it can be unpleasant as well, for those of us who ride with their PPE, and even if you decided to be adventurous, you will still roast in your T shirt, short and flip flops....

Cooler days are ahead they say... and I still remember last February, when we went without power or water for several days as a result of the cold.

I used to ride my bike in winter back then. The outside temperature never was a deterrent. However, we have had some heavy rains early this morning, which makes the roads impracticable, and reduce visibility to null.

Who rides regularly in winter here?

Ahem…today in fact right here in Houston…nice and cool ride on the Scura, after all it’s only in the 50’s!  After a week in Wisconsin where it dipped well below zero, this feels positively balmy.   We ride all the way down to just above freezing, and the hot coffee tastes even better when stopped for a break.  Good riding gear makes it quite comfortable.  A balaclava helps too…and the right pair of gloves.    I wouldn’t ride if it’s icy, but just cold is still very enjoyable.

Maybe time to consider a backup generator…Generac or Kohler…life saver during a hurricane or a winter power outage.   I put one in after Hurricane Harvey, it’s kicked on several times, including those occasions when transformers have blown in the neighborhood…

• Like 2

Even with an electric jacket (delicious!), I draw the line at 40ºF/~5ºC. Below that I just don't thrust the tires in the shady corners. I seem to recall our T5 Volvo lit the ice light at 38ºF. I figure the Swedes know a helluvalot more about ice than I do . . . :ph34r:

• Like 3
16 hours ago, PJPR01 said:

Ahem…today in fact right here in Houston…nice and cool ride on the Scura, after all it’s only in the 50’s!  After a week in Wisconsin where it dipped well below zero, this feels positively balmy.   We ride all the way down to just above freezing, and the hot coffee tastes even better when stopped for a break.  Good riding gear makes it quite comfortable.  A balaclava helps too…and the right pair of gloves.    I wouldn’t ride if it’s icy, but just cold is still very enjoyable.

Maybe time to consider a backup generator…Generac or Kohler…life saver during a hurricane or a winter power outage.   I put one in after Hurricane Harvey, it’s kicked on several times, including those occasions when transformers have blown in the neighborhood…

I have been once to Wisconsin, to visit the HD plant in Milwaukee, long time ago.

I usually test my summer riding gear during winter. This is the only way to truly find out about how the ventilation works.

I have worked in countries where winter is extremely cold. Nothing beats multiple layers. I try to apply this to everything, such as underpants and under gloves. Making sure nothing that I wear impairs riding.

I think the governor of Texas said their would not be any more power shortages due to the weather this year. I don't have a problem not having power; I have lived in countries where you actually don't have power every day. No water is the cumbersome issue to tackle. I did fill in the bath tubs last year, before black out.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, docc said:

Even with an electric jacket (delicious!), I draw the line at 40ºF/~5ºC. Below that I just don't thrust the tires in the shady corners. I seem to recall our T5 Volvo lit the ice light at 38ºF. I figure the Swedes know a helluvalot more about ice than I do . . . :ph34r:

Ice is treacherous, I have ridden on snow before in the 70's. Not by choice. I was at work and it snowed. I had to go back home. It is not that complicated or difficult. At the same time, riding a 350 two stroke is a lot easier than a heavy V11. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, p6x said:

Ice is treacherous, I have ridden on snow before in the 70's. Not by choice. I was at work and it snowed. I had to go back home. It is not that complicated or difficult. At the same time, riding a 350 two stroke is a lot easier than a heavy V11. 

SNOWRIDE.jpg

• Like 2

Well another glorious day of riding the Scura today…just picture perfect.  Blue skies, high 50’s, Scura purring like a big cat, hard to beat!  Days like this one can ride forever…

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, PJPR01 said:

Well another glorious day of riding the Scura today…just picture perfect.  Blue skies, high 50’s, Scura purring like a big cat, hard to beat!  Days like this one can ride forever…

:nopic:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...

As we are heading for some freezing days starting from Sunday, but only lasting into Monday, the local TV channels all made videos about how December 2021 broke all the temperature records since they are kept.

I don't know if we should be happy, sad, or both.

• Confused 1