Did you always dream of 21 inches at the front? here comes the Ducati DesertX!!!

• p6x changed the title to Did you always dream of 21 inches at the front? here comes the Ducati DesertX!!!
25 minutes ago, p6x said:

I must admit, Ducati hit the mark on this one, and made in Italy too!

Kill the sound and watch the Emirates ride listening to I on U by Neil Schon!

At a seat height of almost 35 inches and a dry weight of over 450 lbs they lost me...Nice bike for someone though

• Like 1
1 hour ago, KINDOY2 said:

At a seat height of almost 35 inches and a dry weight of over 450 lbs they lost me...Nice bike for someone though

It is still art on wheels... you can get that spare tank to make it easy on anx... I think it is well positioned with regards to the competition. If you compare with the new Triumph Tiger wet weight of 525 lbs. KTM Adventure 1290 wet weight is 551 lbs. Seat eight 34.6 inches.

I think they all target the same people. Including the 15k price mark. But the Ducati is made in Italy.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, p6x said:

It is still art on wheels... you can get that spare tank to make it easy on anx... I think it is well positioned with regards to the competition. If you compare with the new Triumph Tiger wet weight of 525 lbs. KTM Adventure 1290 wet weight is 551 lbs. Seat eight 34.6 inches.

I think they all target the same people. Including the 15k price mark. But the Ducati is made in Italy.

I'm always glad to see something new and exciting from duc, and I'm always content to not be in their demographic.

• Like 1

Very cool. We're coming up on KTM's 20th anniversary of releasing the 950 adventure, which was just a massive dirt bike that was also good everywhere else you rode it. Looks like this Ducati is the same thing... and if they are like every other manufacturer, it will get bigger and heavier with each iteration, which means the first years will be the most off-road capable.

On 12/11/2021 at 11:52 AM, footgoose said:

I'm always glad to see something new and exciting from duc, and I'm always content to not be in their demographic.

Why not? I mean, everybody dreamed about a Ducati at some point in time...

I did, but that was then. As ever, I seem to prefer the ripe stuff rather than the new.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, p6x said:

I did, but that was then. As ever, I seem to prefer the ripe stuff rather than the new.

More qualified testimony that the V11 has ripened . . . :sun:

• Like 1
On 12/12/2021 at 2:56 PM, p6x said:

I like the brand well enough, but love is a convergence of chemistry and timing. I was thrilled when the sport classic concept was being researched, but they took so long to come to market I got over it, and glad I did as the V11 fills that spot nicely (actually better). The only thing new to catch my eye was the Desert Sled Scrambler, the original X, but the 'trendiness' put me off at the last minute. Other than that I had, and still have a place in my heart for a '96 900SS. I guess I'm just not the droid they're looking for. They have wisely developed a target audience and I'm not in it. Regards any motorbike, I'm no longer interested in the latest greatest tech, hundreds of pounds of unnecessary weight, 150+ hp, 15 to $20k+ price tags, or (and especially) boutique showrooms. There will be plenty folks to buy their stuff and good on them all. The new X is very nice but misses the weight mark (for it's purpose) once again. If they can't see that I can only presume they don't care or know that their buyers won't care because they won't be off road anyway... which leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Recall when the Africa Twin (2015-) came out and the lead-up to it's release? It was going to be the GOAT. It wasn't,...  and around here at least they stayed in showrooms past the next model year. Just another heavyweight dressed as nimble and light, and oh so rugged. Just like the next great hope, the KTM 790 Adv R-come- 890 R which started off impressive and subsequently added 50lb while riders would rather have it lose 30.

Which brings me to the notion, and I could be wrong, that these giant "adventure touring" machines are built for a majority who have no intention of taking them off road, but they certainly want to appear as though they do. Credit given to those (and I know you exist) who do use as designed, cause you're in much better shape than I. But, I seriously digress...

Ducati, .... give me a hypermotard (or whatever the lightest frame is), with a 700 to 800cc air cooled L twin with wire spoke wheels and almost NO silly, gimmicky gadgetry, only what it needs to stop and go and see, a 4gl tank, and Well under 400lb curb and $12,000. and I will bite.

(I'm going by available info showing the new X at 490lb curb and a price of $16,795, least we not forget the Duc dealer will charge you shipping as well which 2 yrs ago was $500.)

• Like 3

The BMW GS was a trend setter. When it came out, won the Paris Dakar, suddenly everybody wanted to own one.

The commercial success created that frenzy. All motorcycle manufacturers made their own variation on that theme.

The GS is still the leader today. What the owners do with them? I don't know; but I suppose if you live deep in the heart of Texas, you can use it on some of those Farm to Market roads that have no asphalt on them.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, p6x said:

The BMW GS was a trend setter. When it came out, won the Paris Dakar, suddenly everybody wanted to own one.

The commercial success created that frenzy. All motorcycle manufacturers made their own variation on that theme.

The GS is still the leader today. What the owners do with them? I don't know; but I suppose if you live deep in the heart of Texas, you can use it on some of those Farm to Market roads that have no asphalt on them.

Agreed. Then of course the Long Way Round sure helped. Ewan and Charlie should get royalties. (and the chase crew that pulled those Beemers outa the mud) I'll bet they wish they had had those Duc X's for that trip.

• Like 1

I think a sporting adventure bike is aimed at the "one bike to do it all" rider. The Ducati Multistradas were oft criticized for multi being limited to bad pavement and easy dirt. So here is a Ducati that can be set up to tour, but can take a thrashing (in capable hands). It's probably a pretty good sport-bike too. This is how I felt about my KTM 950 Adventure - it was like riding three different bikes on the same day (semi-technical dirt, twisty backroads, and freeway). It was 90% competent everywhere. (but damn was it thirsty). I should also add the upright seating position on a big adventure bike is very comfortable for the long haul and provides great visibility with the extra height - so it's a good touring mounting as we get older.

So yeah, some big adventure bikes are often seen at coffee shops and on the asphalt. And maybe there are a few poseur owners who deserve to be mercilessly ridiculed - because their idea of adventure is having a half-caff latte with whole milk instead of decaf with soy. But If some riders just occasionally take a stretch of graded dirt road and see something they never would have seen on a sport bike or touring rig, then the bike has provided adventure for them. If they stick it nuts deep in mud and have to lasso a water buffalo to extract it, that's an adventure too.

Good on Ducati. But I'll pass because it sits between two bikes that I am totally happy with: my Stelvio NTX and Husqvarna 701 Enduro.

• Like 2

The 50 something year old me agrees with you. My 630lb K1200RS wasn't much concern at that age, and I did a few Colorado unpaved roads on it. White knuckle. I really considered the Stelvio a few years back and realized nope, too big, just in the nick of time. The V85 was next in view but my age-to-bike weight ratio is out pacing me. The V11's are 'grandfathered' in but future bikes must be under 400lb. The Husky/KTM singles are really all there is available new at the moment. My DR650 will supplant that for the time being and it's been a faithful hoot this last half year.

• Like 1