Nero Corsa Discovery and Refresh

Scud

Small rant... so dumb that Brembo won't sell rebuild kits. They should at least offer a core exchange service. I mean the castings never go bad, why not make every buyer just waive liability? Dumb.

Continuing my rant... I got two special orders delivered and they are both going back for a redo. Speedhut and Speigler are good companies and I'm confident they will make it right, but damn... Speedhut changed the surface of their gauges and the fine-line eagle logo didn't print right (which would piss me off every time I looked at it). And Spiegler angled the brake line fittings the wrong way (and I mean 90 degrees rotated wrong, not a simple bend). And I sent them a set of lines to duplicate (not just measurements). 

End of rant.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Scud said:

Small rant... so dumb that Brembo won't sell rebuild kits. They should at least offer a core exchange service. I mean the castings never go bad, why not make every buyer just waive liability? Dumb.

Continuing my rant... I got two special orders delivered and they are both going back for a redo. Speedhut and Speigler are good companies and I'm confident they will make it right, but damn... Speedhut changed the surface of their gauges and the fine-line eagle logo didn't print right (which would piss me off every time I looked at it). And Spiegler angled the brake line fittings the wrong way (and I mean 90 degrees rotated wrong, not a simple bend). And I sent them a set of lines to duplicate (not just measurements). 

End of rant.

You can usually just carefully rotate the fitting to the angle you want. I've made tons of brake lines in the past and it's not an issue.

Ciao

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lucky Phil said:

You can usually just carefully rotate the fitting to the angle you want. I've made tons of brake lines in the past and it's not an issue.

Ciao

And you know what? Some people complain before they read the instructions...

Spiegler also sent very clear instructions as well as special little tools to clamp the lines in a vise and rotate the fittings. I retract that portion of my rant. All is good in the brake line department.

But while I'm in a ranting mood... First step of Spiegler's instructions say that the lines should only be installed by a certified brake technician. If you are not certified, stop here and hire someone. That's what Brembo should do with their rebuild kits.

38 minutes ago, Scud said:

And you know what? Some people complain before they read the instructions...

Spiegler also sent very clear instructions as well as special little tools to clamp the lines in a vise and rotate the fittings. I retract that portion of my rant. All is good in the brake line department.

But while I'm in a ranting mood... First step of Spiegler's instructions say that the lines should only be installed by a certified brake technician. If you are not certified, stop here and hire someone. That's what Brembo should do with their rebuild kits.

A "certified brake technician" I've never met one of those. I've met technicians that are certified in breaking things though.

Ciao

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Got some carbon fiber goodies from Bruno (aka Brian) of Ghezzi Brian. It's always a happy day when packages arrive from Italy.

I rather like the small rear fender, which I have on my Scura, although it sits a bit too high above the tire. 

So I was pleasantly surprised to find that GB have modified the bracket to make the fender sit closer to the tire (you can actually adjust it till it touches the tire, so be careful). Now it nestles between two rails on the swingarm, (it sat above the rails with the prior bracket.) It was also pre-drilled with mounting holes, which almost lined up with the bracket, and the holes were almost big enough for the included mounting hardware. So let's call those pilot holes. Dremel tool with small stone-cone bit required to get good fit and alignment.

So, still kind of a weird shape on one side, still not perfect, but definitely improved. See thread re what makes these bikes quirky...

DD22CDD5-3F9D-40DF-A04D-E907DF68DA0F_1_1

Two reasons I like this fender: 1: it does a surprisingly good job of keeping debris off the lower shock mount and transmission. 2: you can see every inch of the beautiful swingarm, wheel, and final drive (unlike the massive stock unit that hides everything and shovels crap onto the aforementioned areas.)

And possibly true but almost certainly irrelevant... it reduces unsprung weight on the rear.

• Like 7

On 1/13/2022 at 4:24 AM, Scud said:

Does anybody know if there are kits for rebuilding the master cylinders?

Try these guys: Ducati Brembo 12mm Front Brake / Clutch Master Cylinder REM REC Seal Rebuild Kit 110436292 KTM Aprilia Moto Guzzi (gothamcycles.com)

Then search in their website for Ducati Brembo Master. You need to know the diameter (eg 14mm).

I presume that you are a "certified brake technician"?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Scud,

I like the look of the rear mudguard & how it shows off the swingarm but couldn’t find anything more than pictures & a description on the Ghezzi-Brian website. 

What was the cost for that piece of visual enhancement?

Thanks for the lead on the rebuild kits. I got one for the rear master in the mail yesterday (thanks MG Cycle). I have some clutch and brake masters in a box. Maybe I'll break one down and measure the piston. MG Cycle also sells the kits based on diameter, but they couldn't tell me what kits to get. I'll probably learn that when I complete my "brake certification training." It would be good to document the appropriate kits in our Encyclopedia of compatible parts. 

I already replaced the clutch line and added the new fluid reservoir, and the master still works (as does the slave cylinder). Do you think a preventative rebuild on the brake masters is worth doing - or will these 20year parts still last for a long time with their current seals and such? 

As for the CF goodies. I got the rear fender and the belly pan from Ghezzi-Brian for EU 490 including shipping and all customs charges. They don't list prices on their site, but they respond quickly via email. Also picked up a new CF front fender from ebay (an Aprilia uses the same mounting pattern as the V11 with Ohlins - see encyclopedia for details).

@nobleswood if you buy one, would you ask Bruno to throw in an extra bracket for the rear fender for me? I'd like to lower the one on my Scura. I'll pay you to ship to me.

• Like 1

Hey Scud,

On the top of the master cyl. there should be a seven or eight digit number stamped into the flat boss. The last two numbers will be the diameter ie  16.  BSANUT on ebay usually has an assortment of Brembo stuff.

Paul B:bier:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Scud said:

I have some clutch and brake masters in a box. Maybe I'll break one down and measure the piston. MG Cycle also sells the kits based on diameter, but they couldn't tell me what kits to get. I'll probably learn that when I complete my "brake certification training." It would be good to document the appropriate kits in our Encyclopedia of compatible parts. 

Do you think a preventative rebuild on the brake masters is worth doing - or will these 20year parts still last for a long time with their current seals and such? 

Some previous discussion here: https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?/topic/22114-front-brake-master-cylinder-rebuild/#comment-254615

You need a 16mm kit, given Phil's comments.

And yes, I think a preventative rebuild is a good idea, especially if the fluid has not been changed every 2 years in the past. I found a rusty spring in my clutch MC. I haven't yet rebuild the front brake MC, so should take my own advice.

• Like 3

No - that one uses the four treaded fittings on the swingarm, same as the stock one - so it has those four long CF "legs". The Ghezzi Brian one comes with a bracket that mounts with the lower shock-mount bolt. After installation, it looks like it's just floating over the tire.

Here is a close-up of the bracket and how it mounts to the lower shock-bolt:

EEDB50C3-D5EB-4D75-9347-85DC1C2A061D_1_1

Here is the fender from the side:

056A11DD-B011-4F33-937F-30469A6D9F8A_1_1

And as luck would have it... the Nero came with the other type of fender. It was beat up (deeply gouged and some chunks taken out). Trash hadn't gone out yet, so I was able to lay it over the top of the installed GB fender for this photo. Surprisingly, you could mount that fender without removing the GB one (you can see it peeking out in a few spots). And if you look carefully, you can see the GB bracket too.)

8CB651D2-517B-4128-B64C-1C19DCEB194E_1_1

Edited by Scud
added photos
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, paulnaz said:

Hey Scud,

On the top of the master cyl. there should be a seven or eight digit number stamped into the flat boss. The last two numbers will be the diameter ie  16.  BSANUT on ebay usually has an assortment of Brembo stuff.

I just bought a nos Ducati headlamp assembly from him yesterday. 😂

9 hours ago, paulnaz said:

Hey Scud,

Good info. BSANUT already replied to me and said "I know for sure they don't make kits for 16 mm Master cylinders anymore." So that's a bummer. And he doesn't have 12 mm kits in stock.

For the record: Front brake takes 16mm. Clutch 12mm. Rear brake 11mm.

So maybe I should disassemble my spare masters and keep the springs and other bits with the rest of my unobtainium.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1