2002 Lemans Shifting

dbarb3

New to me low mileage motorcycle.  Got it all serviced up new rubber and about my 4th ride today would not shift out of second.  Eventually shifter returned to position and I I was able to get it in.  Happened several times on way home but each time after a minute or so shifter would return so I could shift.

I am guessing it is the return spring issue discussed here. 

Can someone be so kind as to give me the short version of parts needed and who as them if possible.

Bought this for MG for character but not quite so much so soon.

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, dbarb3 said:

New to me low mileage motorcycle.  Got it all serviced up new rubber and about my 4th ride today would not shift out of second.  Eventually shifter returned to position and I I was able to get it in.  Happened several times on way home but each time after a minute or so shifter would return so I could shift.

I am guessing it is the return spring issue discussed here. 

Can someone be so kind as to give me the short version of parts needed and who as them if possible.

Bought this for MG for character but not quite so much so soon.

Ciao

• Thanks 1

It does sound like a broken pawl spring. I had a bunch of the re-engineered "unbreakable" springs made. Still selling them for $10 each plus shipping. Sending you a private message now. It's a good time to polish up the contact surfaces as detailed in Phil's thread above. There were also a few batches of extended shift arms made - but not sure if any are currently available. That arm is easy to replace - you can fix the spring now, and do the arm whenever it suits you.

• Thanks 1

Once shifter "returns" it shifts fine, happened 3 different times yesterday so I agree it shouldn't be broke.  Course I'm new to V11, only other MG I've had was a 1200 Sport and I resolved all its idiosyncrasies over time.

Think I will check shifter linkage and clean lube first, I really don't want to pull the cover.

• Like 1

The combination of Scud's ChuckSuperSpring and LuckyPhil's Shift Improvement is stellar, as well as an extended shift arm. Grooming, adjusting, and greasing the foot pedal pivot bolt and the entire rear-set shift mechanism is definitely the place to start. The pivot bolt has a lock nut that allows it to be set for a bit of freeplay for the shifter , but not too loose. Make certain the pinch bolt on the gearbox arm is tight as are the lock nuts to the Heim/Rose joints. Adjust the connecting rod length so the pedal does not strike the frame side plate on the downstroke and the arms are parallel:

image.png

If you take the side plate off for the spring and shift improvement, change the detent follower on the index wheel. Mine was notchy enough to cause stuck lever repeatedly, just like your symptoms. +1 with Steve S that a broken spring doesn't let the lever just pop back up and resume play.

IMG_5421.jpg

• Like 3

If the spring is broken, the only way to get the shifter to "return" is to decelerate, which causes the internal shift arm to flop back into place, which will give you one shift. If you're saying the lever "returns" and you can shift more than once, then it's not the spring (yet). It's most likely the linkage (per Docc's post above).

• Like 3

If you have an aftermarket shift pedal, it will be harder to adjust the linkage so the shifter does not strike the frame side plate on the downstroke. Worth fettling the external shifter linkage and pivot bolt. :luigi: