It's happening! in Great Britain; British government has set an end date to the sell of ICE powered motorcycles...

Apparently, the British government voted it in July this year. 2035 for Motorcycles, 2030 for cars.

As a side note, in Europe, July and August are traditionally the months when people are on vacation. It is not unusual for governments there, to vote on bills while nobody is attentive.

I have not done due diligence to verify this information, I don't know if it is confirmed or not. All I know, is that a law already existed that set the end of ICE powered cars in 2045. The current administration simply pushed up the dates.

Things can change again, nothing is cast in stone as they say. Installing Echarging stations in lieu of Gas ones implies to have an adequate power grid.

So far, Motorcycles had been left out, but I expect the British decision, if confirmed, could attract some attention. If I am correct the EU has set laws of its own, but so far, the motorcycles have been left out. We can expect this will change in the future.

If I was the CEO of a motorcycle company, we are almost in 2022, I would certainly be wary of making major investments. Usually mid term vision is 5 years, but there is no telling what can happen.

Some of our motorbikes could still be usable. I think Germany has an exemption in place for vehicles 30 years and older. Will that be the exception or the rule?

Maybe we should anticipate our purchases of new/old bikes and not wait for models that may never come out? it seemed to me so obvious that Piaggio would use the new Moto Guzzi V100 engine to release newer iterations of older favorites, such as the Le Mans. Will this still happen?

I don't see the USA embarking into this crusade just now, but we have all seen what happened recently in Tennessee; largely attributed to the unusual warm weather.

What is your opinion about purchasing new vehicles?

Personally, I am not planning to purchase any new four wheeled vehicles in the future. This was a decision that I had taken after my last acquisition in 2016. I had decided it was going to be the last "new" purchase. Next purchases would only be "used".

I don't know for motorcycles though.

What about you?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
12 minutes ago, Twin AH said:

Well who ever they are.................. have a shit load of work and lies to perform from now till then.  :unsure:

Again........... just do your home work folks.

Stinson out  :rolleyes:

good advice. wish I could say more. and trust your instincts.

• Like 1

I ordered a Ford Bronco over a year ago, threw down my $100 deposit when they started taking reservations. Still don't have it due to various shortages. I assume it will be my last new ICE 4-wheeler. At this point, the only likely candidate for a new ICE motorcycle is a Husqvarna FE350S. But I kind of like the new Honda Trail 125. But gosh - that's pretty close to the price of an electric bicycle.

And I assume large countries, like the US, Canada, and Australia will be slower to ban ICE vehicles, just due to the distances people want to drive. It's gonna take a lot of infrastructure to support long drives. 

All that said, I am toying with the idea of a plug-in hybrid vehicle for all the boring driving. But so far, that seems about as exciting as buying a refrigerator.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

IDK they have 12 years to wrap it up. Given the last two, I'd say a lot could happen in 12. Even if the end is truly near, we are talking Italians here. Depends on the share holders in the end. They won't go quietly imo.

• Like 1
On 3/9/2022 at 1:26 PM, Chris Wilson said:

There goes space exploration, unless Musk figures out how to make an electric rocket. 

Chris.

Lightning! Ride the wire!

Never mind - that relates to being Tased.

On 12/19/2021 at 10:03 PM, Scud said:

I ordered a Ford Bronco over a year ago, threw down my $100 deposit when they started taking reservations. Still don't have it due to various shortages. I assume it will be my last new ICE 4-wheeler. At this point, the only likely candidate for a new ICE motorcycle is a Husqvarna FE350S. But I kind of like the new Honda Trail 125. But gosh - that's pretty close to the price of an electric bicycle.

And I assume large countries, like the US, Canada, and Australia will be slower to ban ICE vehicles, just due to the distances people want to drive. It's gonna take a lot of infrastructure to support long drives. 

All that said, I am toying with the idea of a plug-in hybrid vehicle for all the boring driving. But so far, that seems about as exciting as buying a refrigerator.

I strongly suspect that the apocalypse will predate all such 'best laid plans of mice and men'.

• Like 1

I have ZERO confidence that this 'mandate' is anything more than propaganda to push the sheeple into spending money on Chinese rare earth elements, enriching world investors who own portions of mining and manufacturing in China. 

Does anyone really believe that Politicians can cross the world petroleum industry? I might entertain a wager that BP and Shell own significant holdings in mining and battery manufacturing in China. 

The economics, environmental impact, and sustainability of battery powered vehicles is plain for anyone looking or even listening. It's non-existent on all 3 fronts. Yes, electric vehicles are interesting and useful. But they are in *no way* viable on a large scale. 

• Like 2

Wasn’t going to comment, but  % wise, how many of our beloved politicians comes from a politican family  :rasta:

Cheers Tom.

• Like 1