Vibration in grips at 3k-5k RPM...any way to correct?

VtwinStorm

I have stock clipons and what apparently are stock bar end weights.

No vibration felt at all in the footpegs, so all good there.

Can anyone recommend an alternate bar end weight that dampens the hand numbing vibration?

Thank you all!

I had my (hefty) factory bar-end weight inserts machined to accept CRG bar-end mirrors and ditched the "stalk mirrors." Not to everyone's liking, but improved the felt vibration.  Italian made ProGrip "Superbike" grips made it even better. 

Nothing really made the major difference until the effects of the Decent Tune-up took hold . . .

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, docc said:

I had my (hefty) factory bar-end weight inserts machined to accept CRG bar-end mirrors and ditched the "stalk mirrors." Not to everyone's liking, but improved the felt vibration.  Italian made ProGrip "Superbike" grips made it even better. 

Nothing really made the major difference until the effects of the Decent Tune-up took hold . . .

Well, I only rode mine once before the Guzzi Guru at my Guzzi/Ducati dealer did everything maintenance related, including the throttle body resynchronization and relearn.

I got it back dry (no gas in the tank) as I requested...so perhaps it is no longer an issue. I won't know either way until I can ride her again in the Spring.

Going to be a long boring Winter.

Early reports of grip vibration (along with reports of "twitchy" handling) on the RedFrame Sports likely led rather quickly to the V11 Longframe and wider rear wheel/tire with longer forks to attach the clip-ons above the top triple clamp. Then: ~ handlebars ~ . . . :unsure:

Seriously, for a RedFrame Sport: beyond performing, repeatedly, a meticulous Decent Tune-up, setting up the suspension with springs correct for your weight and settling on reliable tires/tire pressures will work wonders for your Sport's "feel."

Otherwise, I would say the early Sport naturally feels more like a Fender P-bass through a Marshall amp in a concrete corner than a cello in the forest . . .

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, docc said:

Early reports of grip vibration (along with reports of "twitchy" handling) on the RedFrame Sports likely led rather quickly to the V11 Longframe and wider rear wheel/tire with longer forks to attach the clip-ons above the top triple clamp. Then: ~ handlebars ~ . . . :unsure:

Seriously, for a RedFrame Sport: beyond performing, repeatedly, a meticulous Decent Tune-up, setting up the suspension with springs correct for your weight and settling on reliable tires/tire pressures will work wonders for your Sport's "feel."

Otherwise, I would say the early Sport naturally feels more like a Fender P-bass through a Marshall amp in a concrete corner than a cello in the forest . . .

An excellent description, as always, Docc! 😆

I'll learn to deal with it, one way or the other. Love my Guzzi.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, VtwinStorm said:

Well, I only rode mine once before the Guzzi Guru at my Guzzi/Ducati dealer did everything maintenance related, including the throttle body resynchronization and relearn.

I got it back dry (no gas in the tank) as I requested...so perhaps it is no longer an issue. I won't know either way until I can ride her again in the Spring.

Going to be a long boring Winter.

Was this a term your Guzzi guru described to you?

Ciao

The only parameter my V11 ever "relearned" has been the undauntable effects of gravity.  Otherwise, it's 15m ECU doesn't have that capability. Pretty sure that started with the next (W5AM?) ECU in 2006.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, docc said:

The only parameter my V11 ever "relearned" has been the undauntable effects of gravity.  Otherwise, it's 15m ECU doesn't have that capability. Pretty sure that started with the next ECU in 2006?

I think it is a case of me not remembering what he said properly.

I think he meant the ECM relearn. This was a couple months ago.

Hard to know if it was just not said rightly, heard wrongly, or something that actually does not apply to the V11 15M ECU. AFAIK, the V11 ECU have no "relearn" capability on any level.

20 minutes ago, VtwinStorm said:

I think it is a case of me not remembering what he said properly.

I think he meant the ECM relearn. This was a couple months ago.

Ok but as docc points out and I alluded to the Guzzi 15M ecu has no relearn or learn functionality. Later ECU's do for Idle and some car ecu's such as the one fitted to my old Monaro (Pontiac GTO) have quite sophisticated ecu learning capabilities so they can for example detect if the air filter is very dirty and make fuelling adjustments to compensate. They also have "short term" and "long term" learning capability.

Sometimes I pick up on phrases and cues to determine an experts actual knowledge to determine what a situation is.  

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Ok but as docc points out and I alluded to the Guzzi 15M ecu has no relearn or learn functionality. Later ECU's do for Idle and some car ecu's such as the one fitted to my old Monaro (Pontiac GTO) have quite sophisticated ecu learning capabilities so they can for example detect if the air filter is very dirty and make fuelling adjustments to compensate. They also have "short term" and "long term" learning capability.

Sometimes I pick up on phrases and cues to determine an experts actual knowledge to determine what a situation is.  

Ciao

He's been working on Ducati and Guzzi since the 1980s. He's working at a Guzzi dealer, and always does top work for me.

I think my bike is fine in his very capable hands.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 12:23 PM, VtwinStorm said:

Can anyone recommend an alternate bar end weight that dampens the hand numbing vibration?

Yes, use the stock bar end wieghts as stoppers jamming in a length of rubber hose that is just longer than the available internal length and has its OD just smaller than the ID of the bar.

This is assuming of course that your clip ons are hollow!

This should negate some of the waves travelling up and down each end.

Chris.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also back in the 80' Honda made internal vibration dampners for hollow handle bars.

These were not end bar wieghts but a simple pair of heavy steel rods with expanding rubber rings at both ends.

Insert rods into each end of the bars and tighten the screw (in much the same manner as end bar weights).

My memory of these is that they worked well in the 4500rpm vibration zone inline fours were plagued with.

Anything internal like this will change the natural harmonic frequency of the bars and take it away from your trouble spot without changing the 'look' of the bike.

Come to think of it, a simple rubber sleeved expanding bolt may serve just as well as a proprietary dampener!

Chris.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris Wilson said:

Also back in the 80' Honda made internal vibration dampners for hollow handle bars.

These were not end bar wieghts but a simple pair of heavy steel rods with expanding rubber rings at both ends.

Insert rods into each end of the bars and tighten the screw (in much the same manner as end bar weights).

My memory of these is that they worked well in the 4500rpm vibration zone inline fours were plagued with.

Anything internal like this will change the natural harmonic frequency of the bars and take it away from your trouble spot without changing the 'look' of the bike.

Come to think of it, a simple rubber sleeved expanding bolt may serve just as well as a proprietary dampener!

Chris.

Here's what the 2 versions of the std damper look like. There's a little more science to NVH and handlebar vibration dynamics than homespun rubber hose jammed into handlebars and other solutions. Sure you can ignore the R&D that's gone into the factory's efforts and you might just come up with "something" but at the end of the day it's going to vibrate at some point and how much time are you going to put into it.  

27 is  the rubber "pad" and 28 the weight. 2002 on.

Screenshot 2021-12-21 183800.png

Early version. 99-2002. 19 weight.

Screenshot 2021-12-21 183841.png

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1