Vibration in grips at 3k-5k RPM...any way to correct?

VtwinStorm

53 minutes ago, VtwinStorm said:

I would just be happy as a clam if I could just mount a set of chrome Napoleon bar end mirrors and some rubber plugs for the original mirror screw holes... I've seen Napoleons mounted on a V11 Sport with clipons, and I think the extra weight would smooth out the handgrip vibration I'm experiencing.

Also, the chrome Napoleons would compliment the chrome headlight ring, chrome Mistral cans, and instrument bezels. It would just work so nicely on this machine.

Anyone mount Napoleons on their V11 Sport?

I have them on my Scura and I mounted a set on a Greenie.

IMG_7535.jpg

You will need to shave down the rubber inserts that come with the Napoleons. They are made for smooth, not threaded bar ends. It's tedious, but I like the Napoleon mirrors.

As I recall, there was not much difference in feel between the weighted bars and the mirrors. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VtwinStorm said:

I would just be happy as a clam if I could just mount a set of chrome Napoleon bar end mirrors and some rubber plugs for the original mirror screw holes... I've seen Napoleons mounted on a V11 Sport with clipons, and I think the extra weight would smooth out the handgrip vibration I'm experiencing.

Also, the chrome Napoleons would compliment the chrome headlight ring, chrome Mistral cans, and instrument bezels. It would just work so nicely on this machine.

Anyone mount Napoleons on their V11 Sport?

We'll see how it plays out, but I would be tempted to buy a bar of stainless that would fill the outer half of the bar, then bore and thread it for the mirrors. Or a bar of pure lead that will slip into the handlebar, bored through with a Tee nut on the far end to retain the mirror bolt. Due to its softness, it would probably obturate (expand) sufficiently from the torque of the mirror bolt to lock inside the bar.

1 hour ago, docc said:

"Much Ado About Nothing" . . . . . . . . . .

I know, Docc. Bike has already been thoroughly gone through. I know, I paid a factory master tech to go through my V11.

If I still have the handgrip vibration, its bar end mirrors...new grips, then we'll see what's what.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VtwinStorm said:

I know, Docc. Bike has already been thoroughly gone through. I know, I paid a factory master tech to go through my V11.

If I still have the handgrip vibration, its bar end mirrors...new grips, then we'll see what's what.

It will always have bar vibration, no way to avoid it. You can minimise it to some extent or change the range but it's Can never be eliminated.

Ciao

1 hour ago, Lucky Phil said:

It will always have bar vibration, no way to avoid it. You can minimise it to some extent or change the range but it's Can never be eliminated.

Ciao

I just want my hands not to go numb after 20 minutes of riding. These are supposed to be distance machines, after all.

Could it be the angle of the clipons? I know that some wrists and hands are not compatible with certain angles of drop and sweep.  Woodcraft clipons for fixed position Kawasakis, for instance, have a sweep adjustment.

A test: Go for a low RPM ride and see if it is vibes or wrist angle.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2021 at 1:37 AM, VtwinStorm said:

Hmmm...they really photograph differently. Mine aren't matte finish...but very glossy, almost wet looking. Also, not so rounded, but pointy.

I'm just imagining things I guess. Anyway, stock mirrors work great for me.

Just need to iron out the vibration in the hand grips.

They look like stock mirrors to me. TBH I’ve never found Guzzi hand grip vibration to be too intrusive. After riding my MT01 Yamahammer any distance, climbing aboard a V11 feels smooth in comparison. It’s all relative. I’d personally wait until Spring when you can get some miles in, before deciding if the handgrip vibes are too intrusive and a change of bar ends / mirrors are required 

My 1999 Silver Sport has stock mirrors, they have a glossy (not Matt) finish

02D0D997-A56B-4DF2-8ECC-F80C3D16A356.jpeg

• Thanks 2

On 12/31/2021 at 11:10 PM, VtwinStorm said:

Handlebar accoutrements seem like the obvious easy and inexpensive (hopeful) solution.

Does anyone have experience with tire selection and vibration?  Different kettle of fish altogether, I know, but when I recently swapped out the old Shinko 805s for Bridgestone Battleaxes on the dual sport, I got a whole new appreciation for vibes at the handlebars.  Maybe one of you engineer-types could speak to rubber and resonant frequencies?  Has she been re-shod already?

Cheers,

Frey

• Like 3

2 hours ago, FreyZI said:

Handlebar accoutrements seem like the obvious easy and inexpensive (hopeful) solution.

Does anyone have experience with tire selection and vibration?  Different kettle of fish altogether, I know, but when I recently swapped out the old Shinko 805s for Bridgestone Battleaxes on the dual sport, I got a whole new appreciation for vibes at the handlebars.  Maybe one of you engineer-types could speak to rubber and resonant frequencies?  Has she been re-shod already?

Cheers,

Frey

I had a set of fresh Pirelli Diablo Corsa IIIs installed as part of the pre-Winter service.

Won't know until I ride her in April/May when the roads are clear of snow, sand and salt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VtwinStorm said:

Won't know until I ride her in April/May when the roads are clear of snow, sand and salt.

I'm holding out hope for a riding day here and there for the next couple months here in the warmer clime of central PA.  Jealous, though, Vtwin, of riding in NH.  Rode the NEBDR last summer and NH had to be the highlight (scenery-wise).  We raced the leading edge of a storm for a few hours and then the skies cleared as we reached Franconia Notch.  Amazing views, and a super stretch of road.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, FreyZI said:

I'm holding out hope for a riding day here and there for the next couple months here in the warmer clime of central PA.  Jealous, though, Vtwin, of riding in NH.  Rode the NEBDR last summer and NH had to be the highlight (scenery-wise).  We raced the leading edge of a storm for a few hours and then the skies cleared as we reached Franconia Notch.  Amazing views, and a super stretch of road.

I'm taking off several weeks of vacation this year April-Aug. so I can at least, once a month, ride the White Mountains on the V11 Sport, or my Ducatis. The Triumph 1200 is too damned heavy to take on such tight roads. She stays home and slays the highway slabs because she weighs as much as Vermont.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/1/2022 at 6:44 PM, VtwinStorm said:

I just want my hands not to go numb after 20 minutes of riding. These are supposed to be distance machines, after all.

If your hands go numb after 20 min of riding you either have a serious issue with the bike or your body. The V11 isn't that bad for vibration.

Ciao

• Like 4

The Mighty Scura came with aftermarket clipons. While changing from knockoffs to real Lane Splitters, I found the clipons were loaded with lead shot. Decided to remove it, and found it had made a significant difference. Put it back..

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

If your hands go numb after 20 min of riding you either have a serious issue with the bike or your body. The V11 isn't that bad for vibration.

Ciao

My body is a tank, so it is the bike.

• Haha 1