V850X

Chris Wilson

I watched a few videos by speedkar99 on YouTube. He dismantles failed car engines. In particular, Audi and BMW engines are utter engineering and maintenance nightmares.

11 hours ago, pete roper said:

I'm glad people like them, I really am. I'd rather pour burning wasps up my arse than have anything to do with one!

Haha... chortle!

You really have missed your natural vocation - you probably would’ve made a half decent stand-up!

• Haha 2

Regarding the Audi.  Friends purchased a VW Jetta GLI, direct injection turbo performance car.   Like the V6, this 4 cylinder has "hydraulic timing chain tensioners".  The problem is that upon startup, there's is no oil pressure.  So when the chain gets loose, when starting the engine the chain might jump a sprocket tooth which happened to my friends at 60k miles.  The engine was totaled.   

Actually, they were visiting us on their way to Memphis.  When they left out house, I could hear a racket that sounded like a timing chain but wasn't familiar with the vehicle.  They were stuck in Memphis for about a week.  I checked Google about it, there are on going class action lawsuits.  

You might notice in the video the narrator made note of poor VW tensioners and the difficulty to replace them.

These German cars used to be the "top of the line" . It seems as though they loaded up on a bunch of unbridled engineers.  Then they went wild on engineering stupid $hit .  

They do ride, drive and perform SUPERIOR . Then when they start messin' up , get ready to buy a dependable car while your Teutonic POS is in the shop . 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, gstallons said:

These German cars used to be the "top of the line" . It seems as though they loaded up on a bunch of unbridled engineers.  Then they went wild on engineering stupid $hit .  

They do ride, drive and perform SUPERIOR . Then when they start messin' up , get ready to buy a dependable car while your Teutonic POS is in the shop . 

What dependable car ?  Yes a w123 , boring but dependable, same era for the K 1000. 1100 late 80 early 90s.  Great French engineering those engines. My friend passed 476k km this summer, same speedo,,,, hello.  D IPA time :bier:

Cheers Tom.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/25/2021 at 1:04 PM, Tomchri said:

What dependable car ?  Yes a w123 , boring but dependable, same era for the K 1000. 1100 late 80 early 90s.  Great French engineering those engines. My friend passed 476k km this summer, same speedo,,,, hello.  D IPA time :bier:

Cheers Tom.

I had to look up what a W123 was, and yes, now you mention it, there's a lot of them on the road in NZ. MB seems okay, but many recent models of  European cars don't seem to age well. Great when new... The Volvo is an obvious exception. Great cars, similar reliability and durability to Japanese and Korean cars.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I must bathe in my ignorance for I have only ever had a minor recall on my K75 with an unneeded steering damper and that is for about 20 vehicles owned over a 45 year period.

Nothing major has broken except  for a radiator top tank after 10 years of city driving and about 280,000km.

Even had a GTL 500 Ducati that never broke down.

My ask is, if all these modern vehicles seem prone to recall and costly parts replacement then how are they driven?

Chris.

On 1/3/2022 at 3:38 AM, Chris Wilson said:

Wow, I must bathe in my ignorance for I have only ever had a minor recall on my K75 with an unneeded steering damper and that is for about 20 vehicles owned over a 45 year period.

Nothing major has broken except  for a radiator top tank after 10 years of city driving and about 280,000km.

Even had a GTL 500 Ducati that never broke down.

My ask is, if all these modern vehicles seem prone to recall and costly parts replacement then how are they driven?

Chris.

You might touch a good point here. A car or motorcycle is a machine but it is considered by many users a consumer good.  When treated like a machine it has substantial longer life. If you ride an Audi or BMW like a world touring championship competitor, you will need a sponsor for an annual drive train replacement.

My Peugeot 306 Break just past the 560.000 with no drive train parts replaced so far. Not a very inspiring car by the way 😀.

• Like 3

On 12/25/2021 at 7:52 AM, MartyNZ said:

I had to look up what a W123 was, and yes, now you mention it, there's a lot of them on the road in NZ. MB seems okay, but many recent models of  European cars don't seem to age well. Great when new... The Volvo is an obvious exception. Great cars, similar reliability and durability to Japanese and Korean cars.

We are a bit off topic, but: Volvo uses Peugeot Diesel engines, good decision.