2000-2001 v11 sport Seat cowl differences?

deadpen69

I just sent a nice hunk of money to Germany for the elusive silver v11 sport seat cowl that I've been searching for since I bought my 2001 V11 Sport last July. It was expensive but worth it to make the bike correct. The Cowl I bought was off of a 2000 but that's no problem because the cowls from 99,00 and 01 are interchangeable right? WRONG! It's a totally different program. My concern is that the subframe and seat part #'s are different, and my 01' seat won't work. Looks like if I remove the metal bar the cowl will bolt right to the subframe. I believe the seat lock is the same part for both. The inner fender assembly under the cowl appears to be the same parts assembled in a different fashion. I'm encouraged by the fact they both use the same pillion cover for the passenger seat. I kind of like the way the inner fender attaches to studs in the bottom of the earlier version. 

Anyone familiar with both set ups? Should work with a little work I'm hoping Trying to ease my mind while I wait for my boo boo to arrive

Why does learning have to be so f>@#%*g expensive?

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (14).jpg

Yep, the tail cowls changed in design and material in 2002 with the introduction of the LongFrame. That bottom image you posted appears to be from a 2002 LeMans.

The earlier tail piece is very robust as well as other things.

The later version is a much lighter built piece also mounted differently.

Also keep in mind the seat pans are of different moldings and don't appear to be interchangeable between the two design eras of the Sport Spinney.

Ciao

28 minutes ago, deadpen69 said:

According to Harper's fiche they changed from 99 to 00 as well.

Interesting. The only difference I see in the '99-'01 Parts Catalog is the different part numbers for the four different colors. The diagrams all illustrate the slide in "bag" fr the monkey paw trap . (Later ABS cowls used a rigid device for the storage space.

1 minute ago, docc said:

Interesting. The only difference I see in the '99-'01 Parts Catalog is the different part numbers for the four different colors. The diagrams all illustrate the slide in "bag" fr the monkey paw trap . (Later ABS cowls used a rigid device for the storage space.

I went back V 11 SPORT/MANDELLO 1100 1998-2000 in the 1990 to 1999 part.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Twin AH said:

The earlier tail piece is very robust as well as other things.

The later version is a much lighter built piece also mounted differently.

Also keep in mind the seat pans are of different moldings and don't appear to be interchangeable between the two design eras of the Sport Spinney.

Ciao

Later seat pans fit the earlier bikes.

Ciao

2 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Later seat pans fit the earlier bikes.

Ciao

That's what I'm thinking. I believe the earlier version is an actually an upgrade. I'm willing to sacrifice the larger document storage area. lol

Thanks very much!! Happy New Year All!

I see that Harper's has this a bit cocked up. They show the early V11 Sport in their model category "1990-1999 Moto Guzzi's" (showing the "saddle rear fairing " in the four colors plus a "blank"). The correct category on Harper's for early V11 parts is shown here: "V 11 Sport/Mandello 1100 1998-2000 " (this should include 2001).

Then under "2000-2009 Moto Guzzi's" we find the Ballabio, LeMans, and "V11 Le Mans/ Sport Naked 1100 2001-2002" showing the later ABS cowl with rigid storage part and 6 part numbers . None of these are correct for the 2001.

3 minutes ago, docc said:

I see that Harper's has this a bit cocked up. They show the early V11 Sport in their model category "1990-1999 Moto Guzzi's" (showing the "saddle rear fairing " in the four colors plus a "blank"). The correct category on Harper's for early V11 parts is shown here: "V 11 Sport/Mandello 1100 1998-2000 " (this should include 2001).

Then under "2000-2009 Moto Guzzi's" we find the Ballabio, LeMans, and "V11 Le Mans/ Sport Naked 1100 2001-2002" showing the later ABS cowl with rigid storage part and 6 part numbers . None of these are correct for the 2001.

Thats part of where my confusion begins!  My bike is a 2001 and the cowl is the flimsy later type with the rigid document holder. I had concluded they went to this design after 2000 on the sport bikes and it was not in conjunction with the lengthening of all the other frames in 2002.  That was my take based on my recent research. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, deadpen69 said:

Thats part of where my confusion begins!  My bike is a 2001 and the cowl is the flimsy later type with the rigid document holder. I had concluded they went to this design after 2000 on the sport bikes and it was not in conjunction with the lengthening of all the other frames in 2002.  That was my take based on my recent research. 

May have been replaced/updated at some time. I was going to do this on my bike if I ever repainted it. I have all the parts and the cowl. The later one is much lighter which is always a good thing.

Ciao

• Like 1

+1 with lucky Phil - Possibly your cowl was changed by a previous owner? Your 2001 Sport has a red frame?

The Harper's categorization is just wrong.  They have the "Mandello" in 1889-2000 when it is clearly a 2001 model. Plus, I don't know of any 1998 V11.

Along with them throwing 2001 in with the 2002. Nope.

4 minutes ago, docc said:

+1 with lucky Phil - Possibly your cowl was changed by a previous owner? Your 2001 Sport has a red frame?

The Harper's categorization is just wrong.  They have the "Mandello" in 1889-2000 when it is clearly a 2001 model. Plus, I don't know of any 1998 V11.

Along with them throwing 2001 in with the 2002. Nope.

The whole rear end of the bike was bastardized 2 owners before I got it. The previous owner started getting the parts to restore it together but sold the bike to me in July due to health trouble. If I'm reading you correctly I accidentally purchased the correct part?   All the factory 2001 v11 sports have the soft document pouch?

• Like 1