2000-2001 v11 sport Seat cowl differences?

deadpen69

44 minutes ago, deadpen69 said:

The whole rear end of the bike was bastardized 2 owners before I got it. The previous owner started getting the parts to restore it together but sold the bike to me in July due to health trouble. If I'm reading you correctly I accidentally purchased the correct part?   All the factory 2001 v11 sports have the soft document pouch?

Yes and Yes all 2001 had the heavy tail/seat fairing and soft pouch.

Ciao

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, deadpen69 said:

The whole rear end of the bike was bastardized 2 owners before I got it. The previous owner started getting the parts to restore it together but sold the bike to me in July due to health trouble. If I'm reading you correctly I accidentally purchased the correct part?   All the factory 2001 v11 sports have the soft document pouch?

+1, again, with LuckyPhil.

This one, yes, @deadpen69?

s-l1600 (2).jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Later seat pans fit the earlier bikes.

Ciao

Odd................ I have a RM as well as the later versions of the Spinney Sports and the later version seat will not fit the RM???

9 minutes ago, Twin AH said:

Odd................ I have a RM as well as the later versions of the Spinney Sports and the later version seat will not fit the RM???

My greenie is fitted with a later seat. Both fit but the later seat fits better with more under seat clearance than the earlier seat on my bike. The area around the battery is very tight and even a few mm makes a difference.

Ciao 

• Like 2

IIRC, the relief areas molded into the bottom of the seat pan changed. Very common for early seats to press upon the battery sometimes causing battery failure. They have also been known to cut into the battery hold-down strap and press upon the relays.

Mounting the battery basket beneath the subframe yields an astounding amount of clearance (like 5/8" ... 16mm).

• Like 2

You can inspect your seat pan underside for chaffing. Look for a fine white dust of polymer on the underside of the seat pan, the relay tops/corners, the top of the battery case, and any impression or damage to the battery hold-down strap.

I recontoured my original pan pretty aggressively with a Dremel and sanding drum as well as performing the battery basket drop.

• Like 1

Now that @deadpen69's original post has been answered (yes?), I suppose we will continue to drift this thread into all things similar or related . . . :unsure:

At the last South'n SpineRaid, I was quite surprised to see a V11 battery at full height. An image of my "dropped battery" (compare to yours) . . .

small.IMG_6237.jpg.ffea351d4367befbae00f

Mine with the Odyssey battery and std mounting. I dont understand docc how you can gain so much height reduction by mounting the tray under the fwd mount. That should only be worth 3mm max. Is yours a steel cased Odyssey? Mine has a new battery rubber tray as well.

Note also the different front corner shape between the 2 tail fairings. The later style is more rounded at the front which I hadn't noticed untill seeing both images together. Didn't notice it on my late model spare, not that I've looked at it for a few years.  

DSC01494.JPG

• Thanks 1

Yeah, man, the drop difference is stunning, really. Yes, mine is a PC545 lying on the rubber mat (standard, not a steel case Odyssey).

It is because the drop includes the thickness of the basket tabs + the welded-on subframe "nuts" + the thickness of the subframe plate.

The drop is dramatic. Biggest concern was fouling the shock travel. No issues here after "all this time." (Yet, I do run an Öhlins shock and higher spring rate that brings the rear ride height up.)

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Mine with the Odyssey battery and std mounting. I dont understand docc how you can gain so much height reduction by mounting the tray under the fwd mount. That should only be worth 3mm max. Is yours a steel cased Odyssey? Mine has a new battery rubber tray as well.

Note also the different front corner shape between the 2 tail fairings. The later style is more rounded at the front which I hadn't noticed untill seeing both images together. Didn't notice it on my late model spare, not that I've looked at it for a few years.  

DSC01494.JPG

I didn't notice until you pointed it out. Yet another benefit of the proper part. it will close the gap I didn't even know I had! Now that all my seat cowl issues have been solved my biggest problem is the 6 inches of fresh snow that fell last night. It's a tough time of year up north.

thumbnail (3).jpg

3 hours ago, deadpen69 said:

I didn't notice until you pointed it out. Yet another benefit of the proper part. it will close the gap I didn't even know I had! Now that all my seat cowl issues have been solved my biggest problem is the 6 inches of fresh snow that fell last night. It's a tough time of year up north.

thumbnail (3).jpg

I can never understand why people chose to live in places that get weather like that. Snow, salted roads, freezing pipes and engines etc. No thanks. I'm complaining like a little girl when the overnight gets to 4 or 5 C from time to time in the winter.

Ciao

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

I can never understand why people chose to live in places that get weather like that. Snow, salted roads, freezing pipes and engines etc. No thanks. I'm complaining like a little girl when the overnight gets to 4 or 5 C from time to time in the winter.

Ciao

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lucky Phil said:

I can never understand why people chosthie to live in places that get weather like that. Snow, salted roads, freezing pipes and engines etc. No thanks. I'm complaining like a little girl when the overnight gets to 4 or 5 C from time to time in the winter.

Ciao

Its presently -3 C and it will probably go down to -15 tonight, it's supposed to top out around 0 all week. February is more of the same with no real relief until the middle of March. What can I say it's home! I don't think anyone really chooses Detroit, I was born here and the people were nice so I stayed. It gives me a chance to search the globe for V11 parts. Thank you guys again for taking time to get me pointed in the right direction. Much appreciated. Happy New Year

• Like 2

Seems these are the climates that give us some of the greatest bike (and car) restorations on the planet. Probably some of the best oatmeal stout and blackberry wine, as well . . .

I don't mean to be speaking for our Norwegian brothers, here  . . .  :unsure::luigi:  :drink:

@hammershaug should be along to cheer us up, before long, yah?

3799da594b354b5249517271f87a8bcf.jpgbed27756f12df6ca38d90e3d6e0f4391.jpg5babb52be90c207b59cf8ba003b6e6dc.jpg

• Like 2