3 minutes ago, po18guy said:

Autopilot is a doubled-edged sword. It helps alleviate pilot fatigue, but it in some way relegates the pilot to "aircraft attendant." When it comes time to do some emergency seat of the pants flying, we see some spectacular and tragic results. Similar things happen in cars and trucks, but planes make the news.

True and it is going to be the way forward.

Technology is replacing experience and skills.

Are you aware that Airbus has a program which will eventually see only one pilot aboard an aircraft, assigned to a surveillance/passenger peace of mind role, while the take off, flight and landing would be completely autonomous and verified from remote. They already have the technology ready for that. Successfully tested.

The public is not ready for it. That and if remote piloting is enabled, making it hack proof is another hurdle.

As with the cars, this is going to be the future. https://www.airbus.com/en/newsroom/press-releases/2020-06-airbus-concludes-attol-with-fully-autonomous-flight-tests

22 minutes ago, p6x said:

...Are you aware that Airbus has a program which will eventually see only one pilot aboard an aircraft...

True, and not just Airbus. Completely autonomous cargo planes with no crew have already transited the Atlantic.

There is an intermediate step in the development from 2 pilots to 1 pilot. That is a pilot and a dog. The pilot's job is to feed the dog, and the dog is trained to bite the pilot if he tries to touch something.:D

(No disrespect to pilots or weather gods intended.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
13 minutes ago, p6x said:

True and it is going to be the way forward.

Technology is replacing experience and skills.

Are you aware that Airbus has a program which will eventually see only one pilot aboard an aircraft, assigned to a surveillance/passenger peace of mind role, while the take off, flight and landing would be completely autonomous and verified from remote. They already have the technology ready for that. Successfully tested.

The public is not ready for it. That and if remote piloting is enabled, making it hack proof is another hurdle.

As with the cars, this is going to be the future. https://www.airbus.com/en/newsroom/press-releases/2020-06-airbus-concludes-attol-with-fully-autonomous-flight-tests

Two reason for hope: 1. I'll probably be dead by then and 2. The world may end.

Does it occur to no one at Airbus that man may create that which is possibly equal to himself (but not self-repairing!) but certainly not greater? Sounds rather arrogant.

I am reminded of ED209 in Robocop: I'm sure it's only a glitch"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
37 minutes ago, MartyNZ said:

True, and not just Airbus. Completely autonomous cargo planes with no crew have already transited the Atlantic.

There is an intermediate step in the development from 2 pilots to 1 pilot. That is a pilot and a dog. The pilot's job is to feed the dog, and the dog is trained to bite the pilot if he tries to touch something.:D

(No disrespect to pilots or weather gods intended.)

I am not surprised about Cargo planes; the jump to implement the technology for passenger planes seems to be considerably more difficult.

Especially in the new controversial atmosphere where passengers have become less "passive".

When I was flying local airlines in Russia and former Soviet Republic nations, the safety card onboard the planes stipulates this is absolutely forbidden to attack the cabin attendants.

After a few flights I understood why. Passengers carry plastic bottles filled with booze and they get go at it during the flight. I found that completely hilarious, as I never thought it could happen elsewhere. 

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, po18guy said:

Two reason for hope: 1. I'll probably be dead by then and 2. The world may end.

Does it occur to no one at Airbus that man may create that which is possibly equal to himself (but not self-repairing!) but certainly not greater? Sounds rather arrogant.

I am reminded of ED209 in Robocop: I'm sure it's only a glitch"

Remember that Airbus implemented the cockpit "for two". The flight engineer became optional because the computer made up for that third seat.

Today, excepted in older Soviet aircrafts, this is the norm. Two to fly.

I seem to have read there was a global shortage of pilot before we took that 2020 hit.

Many airlines are already flying single aisle planes over the Atlantic, such as the A321 Neo.

When you quote Airbus' arrogance, the MCAS comes to mind...

1 hour ago, p6x said:

Remember that Airbus implemented the cockpit "for two". The flight engineer became optional because the computer made up for that third seat.

Today, excepted in older Soviet aircrafts, this is the norm. Two to fly.

I seem to have read there was a global shortage of pilot before we took that 2020 hit.

Many airlines are already flying single aisle planes over the Atlantic, such as the A321 Neo.

When you quote Airbus' arrogance, the MCAS comes to mind...

Honestly the FE's position was a redundant one, they just weren't necessary in the newer generation of aircraft. In older piston engine days they were working their asses off on transcontinental flights and to some extent in the early days of jets when engine reliability was low but as with the navigator which was still there when I started in aviation they went the same way. You can't imagine having a Navigator in the cockpit now can you.

The computer that took Apollo 11 to the moon had the capacity to actually land the Luna module on the surface ( it already took them down to around 8,000" from the surface) but the Astronauts insisted on having manual control of some sort which turned out to be fortunate or they would have landed in a field of boulders. manual flying got them out of that situation.

I still want a human directly involved in some way in the cockpit with ability to override.

Ciao

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, billgreenman1 said:

How is A.I. supposed to decide whether to aim for the possum or not?😁

And how is it supposed to buzz the tower?