Front tire orientation

Janusz

OK, I am just about to install a new front tire (15,500 km) and just looked at my shop manual and also in Owners Manual.They both instruct to mount a front tire with its arrow opposite to the wheel rotation. Rear is recommended WITH the wheel rotation, like a common logic indicates.

What is it? Why? It does not look like some mistake, it is very clear and in all these languages is the same.

Anybody can explain?

Guest voigtstr

I noticed that in the manual as well and thought it was odd.

I didn't ride the guzzi to work tonight so I cant verify how the front tyre is already installed. Can someone verify if their tyres are fitted in accordance to the manual?

I think they are talking old school, like when they used to put the same tires on front that were going on the rear. Many old Guzzis had front tires almost as wide as the rear. On older bikes you could use something like 100/90 in the front and 110/90 in the back.

But today we have a much greater difference between front and rear. So if the arrow on your tire is marked front, mount it on the front in the direction of rotation. If the arrow is not marked front, you should check to see that the tire is marketed as a front tire, or as a front or rear optional tire. Very few tires that fit the front of our bike are designed for both front and rear. If you have any doubts, you may be able to consult the tire maker.

I think there is inconsistency in how the tire makers mark their tires.

What brand model size do you have?

I just refuse to accept that an official Factory Shop Manual and also Owner's Manual would both refer to long time irrelevant and confusing situation.

Also, since the front wheel is normally installed by some dealer's apprentice upon uncrating the bike, how it is orientated on our new bikes does not matter.

But it is all speculations, "I thinks" and so on.

Does anybody really KNOW?

One more thing;

The main stress on the rear wheel comes from accelleration which is in one direction.

The main stress on the front wheel is from braking which applies force in an opposite direction.

Guest JohnInNH

Tread design for the water to escape/vent from under .... It is very important. The Laser V design is an example where orentation is critical. Just one more thing to consider

Metzeler says, "Check for directional arrow on tire. If present, mount tire so that the arrow points in the direction of rotation."

I trust their statement over a Moto Guzzi manual.

Sorry for being vague Janusz. The bottom line is to go with what the manufacturer of the tire says. We can't simply say the manual is wrong, because tire makers mark the tires different ways. Some mark in with an arrow that says front. If that tire is going on the front then the direction to mount it is obvious in that case. Some just have an arrow, that is vaguer, but if it is a "rear tire only" or "front tire only'' you can be pretty sure to mount it with the arrow in the direction of rotation. Chances are the tire you picked is "rear tire only" or "front tire only'' especially if you are using radials, as you should be. I am not going to be absolutely certain about this, because the tire makers are not clear about it. They should mark all the tires front or rear, with the arrow going in the direction of travel. But they do not do that. So assuming that they put an arrow on and it does not say front or rear, but you are sure that the tire was designed for only front or rear, than you may safely assume that the arrow goes in the direction of travel. If you are not sure that the tire was only designed for front or rear, contact the tire maker. Chances are anything that fits your bike will be clearly marked. Especially if it is Pirelli, Metzeler, Michelin, Bridgestone, or Dunlop. I have no idea about other makes. I know that was not clear, but I am trying to cover all the possibilities with an explanation. From what I understand, people are getting threatened with being sued for ridiculous things. If I tell you to mount it simply in the direction of the arrow and to pay no attention to what Moto Guzzi or the tire manufacturer says, than you or a reader of this discussion might be inclined to sue me and or this board. "I am not paranoid I know they are out to get me"--don't know the source of that quote, so sue me! I am sure your tire is already mounted and working fine.

OK, it seems almost clear now and sorry for being so nagging. To everybody who answered - big thank you :sun: .

The only thing which is hard to believe is that somebody who designed official ShopManual and Owners Manual would be so careless or lazy that did not delete or modify this safety related paragraph. That really undermines my trust in Moto Guzzi official literature.