Mystery Headlight (?) Part

leroysch

Headlamp had burned out (connector has power) on the V11 and she needs a new front tire...so on the lift she goes. Fairing removed (for my piece of mind in case getting it up on the OEM stand goes awry) and in the process of removing the headlamp from its bucket this hollow cylindrical thing falls to the floor (headlamp included for scale). Can't make out any internal threads, and the ID is consistent with the OD of that bottom center screw that allows the headlight to be removed from the bucket. Nothing jumped out at me in the PL/exploded view for the headlight. Is it a spacer thru which the aforementioned bottom center screw fits before it engages the clip in the bucket?

20220115_125904.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On my 2003 Lemans, riders left, there is an similar looking piece at the bottom of an adjustment contraption that adjusts the aiming? of the headlight bucket.

Mine has a slot cut in the bottom for a screw driver, and appears to be threaded and mounted with a slotted boss at the top to locate it on the bracket, then passes up through the middle of a spring with a nut at the top.

Just a wag but yours is probably a variation of the same mechanism in that location with a slightly different design.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thx 80CX. I've got the same part securely fastened to the bike.

I reassembled the headlight using the "spacer" about that bottom center screw. The minor corrosion deposits on the spacer at each end aligned with deposits on the screw, and along with the screw/spacer OD/ID consistency..well....too much of a coincidence not to believe that's where it was installed.

20220116_092750.jpg

• Like 1

It's more in the headlamp assy's bucket. The fairing is off the bike.

One end abuts the inside of the chrome bezel which helps secure the headlamp assy to the bucket, the other end abuts the nut clip attached to the tang in the bucket which, with the screw, secures the bezel to the bucket....at least I hoped that is what happened :huh2: since it's a blind install.

FYI - I just pulled the bulb out of the headlight of my 2004 V11, and I found the spacer installed inside the bucket, exactly as you described.

• Like 2

On 1/16/2022 at 5:08 PM, leroysch said:

Thx 80CX. I've got the same part securely fastened to the bike.

I reassembled the headlight using the "spacer" about that bottom center screw. The minor corrosion deposits on the spacer at each end aligned with deposits on the screw, and along with the screw/spacer OD/ID consistency..well....too much of a coincidence not to believe that's where it was installed.

20220116_092750.jpg

Oh yeah. Wrestled with that bit on my '04. It is a combo rim attachment/anti-crush device that is apparently installed at the factory with the light pointing vertically.

• Like 1