audio / video technical set-up

Since this what do I listed to, well my stereo. 

So I could use some technical advice.  I recently got a new Devon receiver and an LG TV.  I wanted to use that eARC feature.  So here's the deal I have to go through some menus to set it up.  But when I have it on, it takes over my stereo.  

Sometimes, I'd like to mute my TV (cc) and listen to music.  I can't seem to do that with the eARC function.  It's so menu driven to link/delink it, very time consuming.  I am using them independently where I just link the optical cable from the cable box to the receiver.  But that means I have turn the TV and receiver on separately, and I can't merely mute my TV, the Mute icon says on the screen, so have to turn the TV volume to "0".   

It also means that I can't get my TV antenna programming sound to my receiver unless I can rig a connection with another optical and don't know if that would work. 

Anyway. I set up my turntable, first time in years.   I'm listening to Keith Jarret's "Backhand".  It's a quartet, bass, drums, sax and piano.  Never made it to CD.   Someone gave me promo copy (1974), I guess he didn't like jazz.  Great LP BTW.

17 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

Since this what I do listen to, well on my stereo.

So I could use some technical advice.  I recently got a new Devon receiver and an LG TV.  I wanted to use that eARC feature.  So here's the deal I have to go through some menus to set it up.  But when I have it on, it takes over my stereo.  

Sometimes, I'd like to mute my TV (cc) and listen to music.  I can't seem to do that with the eARC function.  It's so menu driven to link/delink it, very time consuming.  I am using them independently where I just link the optical cable from the cable box to the receiver.  But that means I have turn the TV and receiver on separately, and I can't merely mute my TV, the Mute icon says on the screen, so have to turn the TV volume to "0".   

It also means that I can't get my TV antenna programming sound to my receiver unless I can rig a connection with another optical and don't know if that would work. 

Anyway. I set up my turntable, first time in years.   I'm listening to Keith Jarret's "Backhand".  It's a quartet, bass, drums, sax and piano.  Never made it to CD.   Someone gave me promo copy (1974), I guess he didn't like jazz.  Great LP BTW.

This is an awesome post. We have a "TubeAmps!" thread and this "listen to" thread. I vote we start a dedicated "Hi-Fi" tech equipment thread with this cool post.

@LowRyter, are you game for that?

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, docc said:

This is an awesome post. We have a "TubeAmps!" thread and this "listen to" thread. I vote we start a dedicated "Hi-Fi" tech equipment thread with this cool post.

@LowRyter, are you game for that?

Dude, I'm just looking for answers.  :huh:

Sure man, if it warrants a thread, go for it.  :D

• Like 2

I've never had any luck using ARC functionality. Frustrated, I wound up using a universal remote from Harmony to control TV, DVD, amps, satellite receiver, A/V processor.

With respect to over the air TV, I suspect the TV manual would provide instructions on how to send audio to other devices if that capability exists...looking at the back of my TV I was surprised to find a dedicated "Audio Out" optical connection.

• Like 1

Thanks Leroy.  My TV has an Opt Out and the receiver has another Opt In.  I might get another Opt cable but going through the menus, it looks like it will do the same as the eARC.  Shuts down the audio for TV only.

I can work it fine with two remotes.  If I was going to the trouble with over the air to the receiver, I could work all the menus I suppose.  So whether it would be any different from eARC vs Opt Out, I'll just have to try it.  Have a headphone and computer out as well, I might see if i can match that to the receiver. 

Glad to know someone else been through the ARC deal and we're not alone.  It's not a major problem.   it's just knowing what to do and what's wasted effort.

Thanks as always.

@LowRyter

I used eARC on my 1080p Samsung TV. I have an AV receiver from Yamaha combined with 5.1 SVS speakers.

I also have a Chromecast device connected and a Google Nest Hub.

With the Google Nest Hub, I can turn on my TV and my audio system by just asking.

Samsung uses its own operating system Tizen.

I also have a 4K HDR Sony TV operating on Android TV. I use Alexa with this one, and nothing works as it should. eARC is connected to my PlayStation, and turning the playstation should turn the TV on too. But it does not work seamlessly.

The TV displays, connections, operating systems, protocols are completely confusing and are no longer able define what what standards the TV model you want complies with.

Such as HDMI 2.0 to HDMI 2.1. HDMI regulator has retired HDMI 2.0. New TV are now going to call all the ports HDMI 2.1 even if they don't support the complete protocol.

Same as USB-C;

HDMI cables are important too. I wish TV manufacturers did away with these connections, and standardize only on USB-C.

Thanks P6X.  I have 3.1 set up with a zone 2 stereo in the patio.  I have two 1974 vintage Norman Labs fronts and SVC center and sub.  Some vintage 1990 Bose outside.  

I got the same results as mentioned in the video above.  The deal is, I like to play music (normally USB) and have the TV on with CC (news, sports, whatever).  When I have the eARC hooked up, it disables the TV speakers and locks in the receiver to TV.  So if I try to play music, then I lose my TV feed and it directs me to the receiver icons (which is good to navigate the USB file) but when I go back to the TV feed, I'm locked back into the TV audio.  Now the work around is to get the TV cable feed direct from optical in and treat it just like any other audio input to the receiver.  The only minor drawback is that the LG doesn't defeat the mute icon on the TV screen and I have to turn the volume to"0".  And I can't get my over the air input to the receiver but am exploring if the TV Opt Out might work.  It also means I have to keep separate remotes.

None of that is a real problem but it pretty much makes all this eARC stuff useless and I've got basically the same set up at my 15 year old TV (actually less since I no longer have component input from old my DVD/CD player).  I may be the only one that likes to have the TV on when I listen to music?  And that Painting Screen Saver is pretty neat.  So I got the eARC plugged and working but turned it off.  If there is a work around, and there very well may be, I'd like to find out.

P6X- In another post I'll mention more about SVC since you also have their speakers.  They did me good when sub's the amplifier failed long after the warranty had expired. 

I can attest to SVS customer support.  I purchased a center speaker and later a sub.  I think I purchased the sub around 8-10 years ago.   It's a 12 inch sealed cube, I think it's 3 or perhaps 400 watts.   Got it on a closeout.  Anyway, I have stereo speakers with 12 in woofers, despite that, it really helped the whole system.  Certainly the bass is better but it also seemed free up the clarity for the stereo speakers, perhaps due to more precise amplification?   

Anyway, the sub quit on me a few months ago.  Their customer support helped me diagnose that it was the amp.  Despite being out of warranty for at least 5 years, they sent me a replacement amp.  The instructions to diagnose and replace it were straight forward and simple.

The center is still working too.  Good for dialog and the like for video, seldom use it for music.  I bought it because it fit in the console but it sounds fine and blends with the stereo speakers for video.