INTRO

Cold Desert Rat

Others have swapped from the single to double plate clutch and can speak more to this.  You will need to change your gearbox input hub to the twin plate type 01211640.

I'm trying recall if the clutch pushrod has to be slightly modified?

Also, Scud has the Chuck-designed Scud SuperSpring for the shift pawl. Be sure to complete the LuckyPhil Shift Improvement mods along with other advice in this thread:

6 hours ago, Cold Desert Rat said:

Scud,

You forgot Roper tray, reaction rod bushings and about a hundred others. :D

Clutch: I bought a steel assy on ebay, pretty darn good ring gear, and sent it off to Guzzi Power in Torrance to be lightened and balanced.

Here it is, still bolted together as he return shipped it.

But now I want to stay with a single plate assy. All I can say is I changed my little mind. So I would sell the steel assy for what it cost to machine it.

I ask you, Scud, what clutch do you and the brain trust recommend?

Also, how do I purchase the new improved gearbox springs? It's on the list :mg:

The Ram steel flywheel and clutch is available from MG Cycle. That's what I have in my Scura. But the 6-speed version is NLA and I think (always dangerous) that the 5-speed is identical with the exception of the transmission input hub, which is already installed on the Scura. I would talk to the guys at MG Cycle, or try to find a write-up on this site where somebody installed the 5-speed kit in a Scura (pretty sure it has been done). But gosh, there's nothing wrong with the double-plate clutch and that lightened flywheel. 

I'll send you a PM re the spring.

• Like 2

The five speed RAM clutch is the same as the Six speed was except you re use your stock Scura 6 speed input hub, not the one in the kit ( Scura ones are no longer available and  Hens teeth if you don't have ) and you machine your pushrod so both ends have an identical step in them ( one end is already stepped).

I installed the 5 speed RAM from MG in my Scura a few months ago, no problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does the pushrod have to be changed going from a factory single plate to the factory twin plate?

Or is that only for the aftermarket RAM installation ?

4 hours ago, docc said:

Does the pushrod have to be changed going from a factory single plate to the factory twin plate?

:huh2:

• Thanks 1

On 1/29/2022 at 12:55 PM, docc said:

If one replaces the factory single plater with the NLA RAM 6speed single plater, the existing rod and bearing are in the bike already and will work. Replacing the factory single plater with the available RAM single for 5speed works as KINDOY2 points out. Replacing the factory single with the factory dual plate clutch is covered somewhere in past forum threads. IIRC the whole stock 6speed dual plate set up is used. So yes, you would not use the push rod from the single plate if going with dual. There is a difference in the distance between the clutch slave and the clutch plate spring cup. Someone help confirm please.

FWIW I've measured the clutch actuating rod from my parts bike, a 2003 dual plate.. It measures 203mm, 8mm from cup end to step down at slave end which is 6mm. I don't have a length for the oem single plate rod. Maybe someone has one out.

Edited by footgoose
additional info
  • Thanks 1